NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-04-2014, 01:13 PM

Default O/T Spring Training advice needed

Hello all,
My wife and I are planning on going to Florida for Spring Training. We have never done this before, so I thought I'd post on here to get some advice. Any tips or suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated, and I do have one question in particular.
Should we buy tickets in advance, or can you usually just get them on game day ?
Thanks in advance !
Matt

Completed - 1967 Topps Baseball, 1969 Greiner Tires Pirates, 1964 Topps Giants

Working on - 1967 Topps Test Stickers - Pirates 31/33 just need the 2 Clemente’s

Also looking for a 1970's Spalding Advisory Staff photo of Richie Hebner.
Old 01-04-2014, 01:24 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

My information is 57 years old, but in 1957 in Clearwater after the 4th inning you could get into the Phillies spring training games free. This policy encouraged me both to stay in school and to save money. The Phillies are still in Clearwater, but there policies may have changed.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 01-04-2014, 01:31 PM
J@$0n.Chri$$i$

I'm a Pirates fan. I went to spring training games a few years ago. We did buy tickets in advance but I don't think it's all that necessary. We saw buccos home games in Bradenton, and also traveled to Clearwater and Dunedin to see them play the phillies and jays. If you plan on attending any Yankee game in Tampa, then you'll need advance tickets for sure.

***I've had 50+ successful BST transactions as both a buyer and a seller. Please feel free to PM me for references***
Old 01-04-2014, 01:34 PM
rgpete

In 2005 we took our 12 yr old son to Spring Training in Florida . We went to Vero Beach to see the Dodgers, a class act organization he got to meet most of the players and spoke to Tommy Lasorda. Also Port St Lucie Mets he got a ball given to him by Tom Glavine autographed. All I can say just wing it go towards when they first start playing exhibition games.
Old 01-04-2014, 02:33 PM
Greg Ryk0w$k1

I live here in West Melbourne FL and go see the Nationals right up the road quite often. We buy tickets on game day and usually don't have a problem. What part of Florida are you coming to?

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/gregr2

Last edited by gregr2; 01-04-2014 at 08:12 PM.
Old 01-04-2014, 05:06 PM
Alex

Availability of game day tickets will depend on the matchup. I just moved from Orlando and loved ST. Its a great time. The braves facility is very nice and family friendly.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:07 PM
Mark

Default Spring Training

I agree that the Braves have a great facility. In 2010, I caught a couple of Braves games as well as the Yankees in Tampa and the Phils in Clearwater. I was with a group of several friends, so we had purchased tickets in advance. We had an absolute ball. The Braves provided the most access to players / coaches / etc. Regardless, spring training is a blast.

Several years prior, I did ST in the Phoenix area with a college teammate. We bought all of our tickets at the stadium, and were even given free tickets to an Angels game. My advice would be to buy ahead if you're going with more than a couple of people.

Have fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Only Smoke 4 the Cards View Post
Availability of game day tickets will depend on the matchup. I just moved from Orlando and loved ST. Its a great time. The braves facility is very nice and family friendly.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:15 PM

We will be attending a couple Pirate games, and maybe try to catch a couple others to check out other parks.
Thanks for the advice so far. I knew I could count on the good folks on here.

Completed - 1967 Topps Baseball, 1969 Greiner Tires Pirates, 1964 Topps Giants

Working on - 1967 Topps Test Stickers - Pirates 31/33 just need the 2 Clemente’s

Also looking for a 1970's Spalding Advisory Staff photo of Richie Hebner.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:24 AM
Greg Ryk0w$k1

So you'll be on the west coast of Florida. There are a bunch of other teams that have Spring training in that area (Tampa) that you could check out as well!
Old 01-05-2014, 07:58 AM

If you can get down to Pirates City that is a great place to visit. You can stand in the middle of four fields and watch the minor leaguers practice on each field, going through drills, batting practice, etc. If it's a game day, they will have 2-3 games going on at once. The good part is that it's not too crowded, so you can walk around freely and watch whichever field you want. They will give you a roster sheet if you ask, so you can tell the players apart. It's all free too, though there are no concessions, so remember to bring water, beverages, snacks with you if you go there.

The Pirates usually sell out about half their Spring Training games, Yankees, Red Sox, Phillies, but Twins, Tigers, Rays Blue Jays and Orioles should have tickets. I say should and usually, because they are coming off their first playoff appearance in 21 years and a lot of fans came out of the woodwork, so this year could be different down there. So you might want to buy ahead of time just in case
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 01-05-2014, 08:15 AM
Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28jd View Post
If you can get down to Pirates City that is a great place to visit. You can stand in the middle of four fields and watch the minor leaguers practice on each field, going through drills, batting practice, etc. If it's a game day, they will have 2-3 games going on at once. The good part is that it's not too crowded, so you can walk around freely and watch whichever field you want.
The Yankees do this as well but it is not well advertised. Last time I went was probably 10 years ago. I think there were about 5 spectators including myself. One of the minor league instructors was Reggie Jackson. He was very nice and signed autographs.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.