NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-31-2013, 03:06 AM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Default 2013, Year in Review

Post about your year in review for 2013, and whether you exceeded, reached or fell just short or your goals!

For me, I thought 2012 was a year I wouldn't top for years...until 2013 came...

I somehow landed these two historic beauties. One, a Ruth signed batting pose Goudey that needs no explanation, and two, a Mantle signed rookie that May as we'll be the ONLY signed full name Mantle in existence.

Taking a huge break, and my next will hopefully be a Clemente signed rookie in a year or two.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (70.4 KB, 481 views)

Last edited by HOF Auto Rookies; 12-31-2013 at 03:08 AM.
Old 12-31-2013, 03:09 AM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Mantle
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (78.8 KB, 482 views)
Old 12-31-2013, 06:51 AM
Jason Wells

Great cards Brent! Im glad to say I met my goals for the most part for 2013.I finished up Series 2 in the T210 set in March and managed to reach a little over the half way mark of the entire set.

Last edited by Jason; 12-31-2013 at 06:52 AM.
Old 12-31-2013, 07:12 AM
Greg Ryk0w$k1

Awesome pickups!! I just recently jumped into autograph collecting so I had not 2013 goals, but thanks to everyone on here for providing such valuable information.
Old 12-31-2013, 07:43 AM
Cain J.

My biggest goal was reached I completed the monster.

Last edited by ins02; 12-31-2013 at 07:56 AM.
Old 12-31-2013, 01:11 PM
T!M R10rd@n

Well, after working on it for many years, I finally completed my master set of 1958 Topps baseball, in EXMT to NRMT condition, plus the complete set of felt emblem mail-ins.

It feels good, but now I'm kind of lost and trying to figure out what to do next.
Old 12-31-2013, 01:39 PM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

Default 13

Not being a Monster collector, but knowing what a commitment that set is, congrats Cain!
Lets see what they look like all together!

My year was successful too. i didn't set specific goals, more like general ones.

I ended with three completed prewar sets all slabbed (or enroute to SGC)...E210 York type 1, E95 and E96. Significant strides in my other three other slab sets (E210 York type 2@ 80%, C46 Imperial@43%,T205 Master Set @87%)
No plans for new sets started, but often I am weak-kneed when I see other prewar opportunities

Also got up to 246 SGC HoFers for my registry. i have a lot more (maybe another 100 prewars) to slab or crossover, but these represent my collection pretty well. My goal is to hit 500 at this time next year, with a couple more 19th century players

My Topps run from 1953-80 sits at a meager 461 cards to go, a couple hundred knocked off just this past year! I have about a half set of 1952 Topps (no high numbers thank you) but haven't started the countdown to include them yet.
2014 goal here would be to get down to 300 or so for the more modern collection.

As is part of all colectors goals, I also want to de-clutter, organize and focus myself....Naw, that's part of the fun!

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
1971 Topps Football collector.

Last edited by familytoad; 12-31-2013 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Added t205 duh!
Old 12-31-2013, 02:46 PM
Adam Goldenberg

Default 2013

Great 2013 for me. Met a lot of good people via this board and reconnected with a couple from childhood on the board.

Have finished about 2/3 of the T206 subset I am working on.

Only one confrontation on the board the ENTIRE year !!! In my opinion that is great !!

2014 should be a "Year of the Sale" I highly doubt I will find more than a few of the remaining 1/3 needed for the subset. Quite honestly I need to just sell !!!
Old 12-31-2013, 05:43 PM

My biggest goal was to pick up a card of new HOFer Deacon White. I actually got two - an Old Judge and a Scrapps. I also picked up a W517 Ruth portrait which I've wanted for years. Sorry, no time for scans today.

Paul
Old 12-31-2013, 06:36 PM
D/e/@/n H/@/c/k/e/t/t

I found myself turning towards overall rarity and discovered I enjoy low end grades with really nice eye appeal. My goal in 2014 is to add an e92, e101 or e102 Cobb.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:55 PM
Sean Costello

Nice going Cain.

I had a successful year. I picked up a T215 Merkle/ Pirates Cigarettes.
I can't call it reaching a goal however, because I didn't even know it existed before it went on sale. It still felt great getting it, though.
Old 12-31-2013, 08:44 PM
Matt

That Mantle RC is awesome; gotta imagine that is a rarer form of his sig, with the middle name.

And I totally agree with the man who said, "Lower-end grades with eye appeal!"
Old 01-01-2014, 09:56 AM

Default Congrats to all who achieved their goals!

Congrats to all who achieved their goals and best wishes to all in the New Year!
I accomplished a 13 year goal in completing the E98 Master Set. It was a long, yet rewarding journey. Thanks again to all the board members who helped me along the way. You can enjoy it currently on page 32 of our threads. Thanks. Here are the Cobbs and Wagners! Sorry the lines are on my lousy scanner!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ScannedImage.jpg (76.1 KB, 263 views)
File Type: jpg ScannedImage-2.jpg (76.9 KB, 263 views)

Last edited by Tim Kindler; 01-01-2014 at 10:03 AM.
Old 01-01-2014, 10:05 AM
Jeff Kennedy

Default For me...

the biggest achievement was being at a place where I could come back to the hobby. Life forces us at times to abandon our "little boy" world of card collecting, roll up our sleeves and deal with "adult stuff". HaHa!!

I am happy to say that I am back (hopefully for good this time) and am excited to rekindle old friendships and start some new ones with many of the new faces I see around here on Net54. Hoping that 2014 is good to all of us and our collections
Old 01-01-2014, 10:23 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadBallEraCubs View Post
the biggest achievement was being at a place where I could come back to the hobby. Life forces us at times to abandon our "little boy" world of card collecting, roll up our sleeves and deal with "adult stuff". HaHa!!

I am happy to say that I am back (hopefully for good this time) and am excited to rekindle old friendships and start some new ones with many of the new faces I see around here on Net54. Hoping that 2014 is good to all of us and our collections
Welcome back Jeff. You are among friends. Good luck and Happy collecting!!
Old 01-01-2014, 10:40 AM
Jeff Kennedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Welcome back Jeff. You are among friends. Good luck and Happy collecting!!
Thanks buddy

This site has brought me immense joy, priceless knowledge and great friendships since 2001. I appreciate all the work that you put in and taking over when Elliot stepped down way back when. It is important that our hobby has this site and I sir, am grateful for it!!
Old 01-01-2014, 11:07 AM
pariah1107

2013 was a very interesting year. Research occupied a substantial amount of time, for an exhibit on the history of black baseball in Washington state to be presented at the Northwest African American Museum beginning February 1 - September 2014: "Pitch Black". I provided info for the Jimmy Claxton, Roslyn and Franklin town teams (1890-1931) portions of the exhibit, with substantial assistance from board members (hello Marc & Dave). Here's the exhibit info:

http://015ada3.netsolhost.com/FutureExhibits.html

Hopefully 2014 will be more of the same. Need to frame most of the collection I have accumulated over the past few years for proper display. Probably will have very few pick-ups outside local history next year. Thanks to all, and Happy New Year!
Old 01-01-2014, 11:20 AM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Near the end of 2013 I finally convinced myself that I could sell any part, or all of, my collection. It was really tough to come to that conclusion. Some circumstances, like money for instance, helped push me over. It's a double-edged sword. Sometimes I do miss certain items and other times it is really quite liberating!
Old 01-01-2014, 11:42 AM
Brent

i started to collect vintage cards in January 2013. one year later, I managed to collect 26 cards for the monster including 3 hof'ers.

Not sure where 2014 will take me but I am still searching for that red portrait cobb.
Old 01-01-2014, 12:27 PM
Be.n C0z1n

I think one thing that I will take away from 2013 is the dying show scene. Even just three - four years ago I would be excited to go to White Plains, the Philly Show, etc... Just don't have it anymore. I used to find stuff, maybe an off center Gordie Howe with a tack hole for 20 bucks, a stack of sharp 65's for $100 whatever. Now I just feel like the shows are the same people with the same stuff, etc... On a positive note, I feel that the Stratford Ct. Show is an excellent one day show that is well promoted. So hopefully I'm wrong, but It just seems that the larger show scene just gets more and more depressing. Maybe the solution is to try to make these bigger shows one day extravaganza's with cheaper tables for the dealers... who knows.
Old 01-01-2014, 12:59 PM
Brent

Quote:
Originally Posted by skelly View Post
I think one thing that I will take away from 2013 is the dying show scene. Even just three - four years ago I would be excited to go to White Plains, the Philly Show, etc... Just don't have it anymore. I used to find stuff, maybe an off center Gordie Howe with a tack hole for 20 bucks, a stack of sharp 65's for $100 whatever. Now I just feel like the shows are the same people with the same stuff, etc... On a positive note, I feel that the Stratford Ct. Show is an excellent one day show that is well promoted. So hopefully I'm wrong, but It just seems that the larger show scene just gets more and more depressing. Maybe the solution is to try to make these bigger shows one day extravaganza's with cheaper tables for the dealers... who knows.
I noticed that the prices at these shows were really at a premium.
Old 01-01-2014, 04:36 PM
Phil Garry

At the start of 2013, if someone would have told me that more than 75% of my BB HOF RC collection would be sold before the end of the year, I would have told them that they were absolutely crazy. That is what has happened though as I have decided to shift gears and focus primarily on Negro League material. Much of this decision has to do with the amount of research that I did for my Negro League Baseball Collectibles Guide published in July of this year. I have held on to and also picked up a few other select items that relate more to my old HOF Rookies collection. Going forward, I plan on sticking with this idea for a while and see how it goes.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:20 PM

2013 was the year I jumped with both feet in to the T210 red border set, having just completed several sets in 2012. The T210 will likely be a life long project so I have something to do while I wait for the last handful of E94 color variation cards to appear, the last 4 D311s I need and the last group of Home Run Kisses to make an appearance, all seemingly in hiding...
Old 01-02-2014, 11:30 AM

Awesome collecting accomplishment! Congrats!
JimB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Kindler View Post
Congrats to all who achieved their goals and best wishes to all in the New Year!
I accomplished a 13 year goal in completing the E98 Master Set. It was a long, yet rewarding journey. Thanks again to all the board members who helped me along the way. You can enjoy it currently on page 32 of our threads. Thanks. Here are the Cobbs and Wagners! Sorry the lines are on my lousy scanner!
Old 01-02-2014, 02:28 PM

Default Thanks!

Jim,
Thanks for the compliment and I'm glad you enjoyed looking at all of them on display currently on page 32 of the threads. Of course, my E98 Master Set will be nothing in comparison once Bob is able to complete his E94 Master Set and put that on display for us all to view. Hopefully in the next few years, we will all get to enjoy that eye-popping display of E94s
Take Care, Tim
Old 01-02-2014, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Kindler View Post
Jim,
Thanks for the compliment and I'm glad you enjoyed looking at all of them on display currently on page 32 of the threads. Of course, my E98 Master Set will be nothing in comparison once Bob is able to complete his E94 Master Set and put that on display for us all to view. Hopefully in the next few years, we will all get to enjoy that eye-popping display of E94s
Take Care, Tim
Quite the collecting achievement, Tim -- congrats!

BTW, I wasn't sure at first what you meant by "page 32 of the threads", but I figured it out and found the thread.

E98 master set in all of its glory
Old 01-02-2014, 06:57 PM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

Far exceeded my expectations. Started off pretty focused on t205, im at about 70 or so. But got distracted with ruth cards the last few months, and picked up 4 or 5 and workin on one more. Hope this year works out the same!
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 01-02-2014, 07:16 PM

Default Thanks for the Help

Chuck,
Thanks for the compliments on my E98 Master Set and thanks for helping a technological idiot out. Your link to my thread sure beats trying to find page 32 in our threads. I wish I was knowledgable at all the things that can be done on this board, but I'm not. Thanks for helping others find it easier.
Take Care, Tim
Old 01-02-2014, 07:25 PM

No problem at all, Tim, happy to help, and you did all the work by posting all the scans and creating that thread.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:31 PM
Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by ins02 View Post
My biggest goal was reached I completed the monster.
Awesome. Do you have a gallery or photos?
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:34 PM
Alex

2013 - The year I decided to re-start my attack on the monster. Only 442 more cards to go!!!
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.