NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-29-2013, 11:00 PM
Banned

Default T202 collectors

Im focusing my collection on completing the T202 triple folder set. Ive done some research on the set and it doesnt seem like itll be a super expensive set to complete. Anybody thats attempting this or already completed the set id love to see your collection. And did you focus on buying the main cards in the set ex. Cobb, mathewson, johnson first or did you go for the commons? Ive always loved the look of these cards and cant wait to complete it
Old 07-29-2013, 11:25 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Here's a little known feature of this board. If you look at the very bottom of the page of most threads you will see other, old threads about similar things. I don't know T202s well, particularly, but one of the threads below had 34 responses, entitled "T202 Collectors".....that would be a good place to start. They certainly don't get the respect, with regard to value, that some of the other sets do.
As a type collector it is one of the sets where I only have one specimen.

Last edited by Leon; 07-29-2013 at 11:26 PM.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:50 PM
Bill Gregory

You know, I've never noticed that before, Leon. Hard to believe with all the time I spend here.

Joey, I think the T202's are beautiful, and a good choice if you're going to work on completing a set. I don't know why they are undervalued, but I like the combination of the black and white action shot in the middle, and the two color portraits on either side. Then you have the biographical information on the back, which is a plus for somebody who loves the history of the game. I'm not doing any heavy investing yet, but the T202 set will be one of the ones I do explore thoroughly.

This is the only one I have right now:

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:53 PM
Rob

There is a classic thread about Shoeless Joe Jackson and a center panel. I made it about halfway thru to page 70 and stopped reading. I can't add much more other than "Just before the Battle" is a common that is on ebay all the time.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
You know, I've never noticed that before, Leon. Hard to believe with all the time I spend here.

Joey, I think the T202's are beautiful, and a good choice if you're going to work on completing a set. I don't know why they are undervalued, but I like the combination of the black and white action shot in the middle, and the two color portraits on either side. Then you have the biographical information on the back, which is a plus for somebody who loves the history of the game. I'm not doing any heavy investing yet, but the T202 set will be one of the ones I do explore thoroughly.

This is the only one I have right now:

Me and you both. The artwork and images are classic. I was looking at the prices for most of them and they are definintly alot more affordable than most. Ive picked up a cobb and just bought a really nice cy young psa 2 which looks way better. Im thinking ill focus more on the key cards first and then start gathering up the commons. This is my first attempt on completing a set so any advice would be greatly appreciated
Old 07-30-2013, 12:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Here's a little known feature of this board. If you look at the very bottom of the page of most threads you will see other, old threads about similar things. I don't know T202s well, particularly, but one of the threads below had 34 responses, entitled "T202 Collectors".....that would be a good place to start. They certainly don't get the respect, with regard to value, that some of the other sets do.

Very nice! I had that same one in a sgc 40. Still regret selling that one but im sure ill find another one in the near future.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:24 AM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
If you look at the very bottom of the page of most threads you will see other, old threads about similar things.
Nice, I had no idea that was down there.

I love the T202s. I'm not necessarily working toward a set, but have been picking them up for about 2-3 years. I've focused mainly on key HOFers.. my first targets being the 2x HOFer (or near HOFer) cards like Baker Collins, Speaker Wood, Evers Chance, Cobb Jennings, etc. If I'm able to score a good deal on a common lot, I may consider going after the set.. but for now I'm content with colors, cool action shots, and cooler back write ups on the ones I've got (I got the SGC-30 Cobb/O'Leary from you Joey).

T202 Tinker Evers Chance PSA 5.jpg
T202 Cobb Jennings HA.jpg
T202 Cobb Moriarty and Young Kling- bought both offline eBay N54.jpg
T202 Baker Collins SGC50 eBay close.jpg
T202 Baker Collins SGC50- bought N54.jpg
T202 Speaker Wood rounding third.jpg
T202 Speaker Wood front- bought PGustafson.jpg
T202 Zach Wheat.jpg
Attachment 108231
T202 Mathewson Devlin.jpg
T202 Mathewson Devlin Too Late for Devlin.jpg
T202 Cobbs smaller.jpg
T202 Knight Johnson PSA-4.jpgT202 Evers Chance PSA-2 .jpg
Old 07-30-2013, 02:32 AM
David McDonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMcKenzie View Post
There is a classic thread about Shoeless Joe Jackson and a center panel.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:42 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:

I am surprised that being the thorough type collector you are you don't have a black factory 30 and a red back card to complete the type collection.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:55 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bn2cardz View Post
I am surprised that being the thorough type collector you are you don't have a black factory 30 and a red back card to complete the type collection.
Probably something I need to do. And actually, I might have one or both but they are just lost in a pile of cards somewhere. And, as a matter of fact, I just checked my checklist and see I have one more but it's not on my website. So I will need to find that and then get the other to complete the backs. There are some sets like this in my collection, where I still need a few varieties.

And I remember that T202 thread where Jackson was discovered sliding in the middle panel. That was a great thread. BTW, nice card David, that's it!!
Old 07-30-2013, 08:49 AM
Chris Browne
Administrator

Nice cards everyone...my one and only...bit of an oddball.

Old 07-30-2013, 11:56 AM
Sean Brennan

I've been eight shirt of a set for five years. Not as easy as I had hoped.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkit1 View Post
I've been eight shirt of a set for five years. Not as easy as I had hoped.
Are you still planning on finishing the set?
Old 07-30-2013, 01:35 PM
PeterB

I have a complete set based on the center panels only. To collect every center panel/end cards combos would be difficult I assume.
Old 07-30-2013, 06:54 PM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterb69 View Post
I have a complete set based on the center panels only. To collect every center panel/end cards combos would be difficult I assume.
Should we start calling the T202 set the mini-monster?

Quote:
Originally Posted by itjclarke View Post
Nice, I had no idea that was down there.

I love the T202s. I'm not necessarily working toward a set, but have been picking them up for about 2-3 years. I've focused mainly on key HOFers.. my first targets being the 2x HOFer (or near HOFer) cards like Baker Collins, Speaker Wood, Evers Chance, Cobb Jennings, etc. If I'm able to score a good deal on a common lot, I may consider going after the set.. but for now I'm content with colors, cool action shots, and cooler back write ups on the ones I've got (I got the SGC-30 Cobb/O'Leary from you Joey).
Ian, those are incredible. You weren't kidding when you said you loved the set.

That Cobb steals second just blows me away. That's one I'm going to have to get, and early on. That will be another I need to save up a bit for in nice condition.

I also really like the Speaker rounding third. It's a bit reminiscent of the iconic shot of Cobb rounding third.

I'm going to look for the thread to the Shoeless Joe discussion. Sounds like a fun read.

BTW, great thread as usual, everybody.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 07-30-2013, 06:57 PM
Bill Gregory

Here's a link to the previously referenced discussion about the Shoeless Joe Jackson center panel:

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=124045

Old 07-30-2013, 07:06 PM
Sean Brennan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyF1981 View Post
Are you still planning on finishing the set?
for sure, just six away
Old 07-31-2013, 07:37 PM
Lee B.
lee be.hrens

My favorite set of all, love the 3 picture front, and the back with the write ups. I was able to put the set together on a budget in about 4 years. I was slowly working on all the front/back combinations and got up to 185. Sold off most of them to help pay for Sterling.

You can get some very nice looking low grade cards at reasonable prices. I have always thought the Cobbs in the set were under valued. I love the combos in the set Speaker/Wood, Tinker/Evers/Chance and others. There definitely are cards that are tougher than others that are not very well known. Enough of a challenge but yet a set that can be put together.

Lee
Old 07-31-2013, 08:00 PM
Geno W@gn&r

Default scarcities

Lee is right about that! If you read the old literature, you'll see that some of the cards that were presumed to be difficult actually aren't, and the difficult ones are rarely mentioned. I'll challenge you to work on the set and you'll figure out which is which...

Have fun!
Geno
Old 08-07-2013, 11:26 AM
Bryan M1ll3r

Lee co-wrote a great article about T202's:

Lee Behrens and Brian Hodes, "1912 T202 Hassan Triple Folders: A New Look at this Popular Set", Old Cardboard Magazine, Issue #7 (Spring 2006, p. 15-20)

I agree with Lee on this being one of my favorite sets. The combination of 2 artistic portraits with a contemporary photo is just too cool.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:44 PM
Bill Gregory

Instead of starting a new topic altogether, I want to resurrect this one. It's been four months, so let's see some of the new Hassan Triple Folders you guys have added. If you didn't post in the discussion the first time, please feel free to share those T202s in your collection.

I'd also like to ask a question. How many of these cards were produced back in 1912? They seem somewhat scarce comparatively. I know it's possible somebody is hoarding, but ever since seeing the "Lord Catches His Man" thread for the first time, I've been looking daily for that particular card, and have not seen a one for sale.

Old 01-03-2014, 11:23 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Here you go Bill.. a few of my more recent pick ups. I love the Athletics Infield center panel. T202 is awesome!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg T202 Baker Berry sliding.jpg (80.3 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg T202 Mordecai Brown.jpg (79.5 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg T202 Mathewson Fletcher.jpg (45.1 KB, 87 views)
Old 01-04-2014, 02:48 AM
Bill Gregory

Very nice, Ian! I love any of the T202s with Matty on the end. His T205 is probably my favorite card of his, and of course, the cabinet end is essentially the same card.