NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-14-2015, 11:12 AM

Default Need help with ID of So. League player

All--

I acquired this cabinet card at the National, but have no idea on the ID of the player. The 1907 Spalding Guide shows two Savannah players wearing this uniform, so I am fairly certain that my unknown guy played for them in either `06 or `05. Beyond that, I have nothing. The cabinet measures 5 X 7.

If anyone has any suggestions please email me: mpeich12@gmail.com.

Thanks,
Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Savannah player.jpg (80.5 KB, 453 views)

Last edited by Michael Peich; 08-14-2015 at 11:14 AM.
Old 08-15-2015, 01:12 PM
S Gross

Mike,

Man, I would love to figure it out also. I can tell you dozens of players who it is NOT, but he's someone that I "think" can be found.

Got a slow and boring afternoon ahead, I'll give it a shot.

Great image not matter what !!!!!

Scott
Old 08-15-2015, 03:04 PM
S Gross

OK, this probably pushing it, but the best I could do:

Walter Morris.

"Dead / drooped" eyes, heavy chin/jaw, comparable nose shape and location to eyes and mouth. Ear placement bothers me, but he is leaning slightly forward (less formal) in grainy photo (and they're not to clear).

Everyday second baseman for Savannah 1906-08. The K on uniform is probably from 1909 Charleston/Knoxville (Charleston folded mid-season).

http://www.baseball-reference.com/mi...d=morris010joh

SavWMc.jpg
Old 08-17-2015, 02:36 PM

Sean--Just saw your post. Many, many thanks! I'll keep digging around on Walter Morris.

Does anyone else have a clearer photo/image of Morris?

Thanks, again, Sean.

Cheers,
Mike
Old 08-18-2015, 12:07 PM
S Gross

Mike,

The more I look at it the more I like it.

BTW, I'm not into it, but genealogy is very popular on the web. I wouldn't be surprised if you couldn't find a site that might be able to help you out. Morris died in 1961, so there may be just a generation or two to go through. Maybe even find a relative.

Good luck, Scott (not Sean )
Old 08-18-2015, 09:40 PM
Mike Mattsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mybuddyinc View Post
Mike,

The more I look at it the more I like it.

BTW, I'm not into it, but genealogy is very popular on the web. I wouldn't be surprised if you couldn't find a site that might be able to help you out. Morris died in 1961, so there may be just a generation or two to go through. Maybe even find a relative.

Good luck, Scott (not Sean )
From putzing around on Ancestry.com...

His house where lived in Dallas until passing in 1961: Morris Home built in 1938

According to his death certificate, Morris' daughter listed his primary occupation as a professional baseball manager. I can't find him right off the bat in any census past 1900 when he was still living at home with his parents. His father, George Morris, was a practicing attorney in Rockwall, TX when he was born in 1881 and was still listed as an attorney in 1930 in Dallas. Walter likely had a comfortable, such as the term can be used to describe 1880s Texas, upbringing.

The Texas Sports Historical Association lists this bio on their webpage under JERRY Walter Morris.

https://tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fmo58

Quote:
MORRIS, JERRY WALTER (1880–1961). Jerry Walter Morris, baseball player, promoter, and executive, was born on January 30, 1880, at Rockwall, Texas. He left the University of Texas in 1902 to play with Corsicana of the Texas League, a league in which he spent the next twenty-six years as player, manager, club executive, and, for five years, league president. He was one of the earliest collegians to leap directly into organized baseball. Headlines and records seemed to follow Morris. In his first season at Corsicana his club had baseball's highest winning percentage (.793), set a world record for consecutive victories (twenty-seven), never relieved a pitcher all season, and figured in the game's greatest slaughter-a 51–3 victory over Texarkana. All this was done with an eleven-man squad. While a student at the University of Texas, where he frequently played without shoes, Morris had been known as the "Barefoot Boy at Texas." He received a law degree from the University of Texas in 1906 and tried to combine law and baseball careers until 1910, when he decided that baseball was his life's work. In 1916 he became president of the Texas League and helped to arrange the Dixie Series, a thirty-seven-year match between the Texas League and the Southern Association champions. For several years he owned half interest in the Fort Worth Cats, and again, after 1922, he was part owner and secretary-business manager for six years of the Dallas baseball team. He also served as business manager for the Shreveport, Tyler, and Fort Worth teams. He held the following personal records: club manager in his third year of organized baseball; organizer of more leagues (fourteen) and president of more (seven) than any other man on record; at one time president of three leagues concurrently-the East Texas, Evangeline, and Cotton States; builder of nine baseball parks; developer of numerous baseball players for the major leagues, including Rogers Hornsby; and once, in an emergency, Texas League president and umpire simultaneously. He died on August 2, 1961, of a heart attack following a surgical operation. In December 1966 he was elected to the Texas Sports Hall of Fame.
Here's a photo from the TSHOF of Morris as an adult:

Last edited by mattsey9; 08-18-2015 at 09:42 PM.
Old 08-18-2015, 10:39 PM
M.att C H A R L T O N

Default University of Texas yearbooks re Morris

I just checked my Cactus's and I don't have '00 or '01. The 1902 book didn't have a photo or mention of him. If anyone has either yearbook I am willing to bet that you could find a good photo comparison.
Old 08-18-2015, 10:48 PM
M.att C H A R L T O N

Default Undated unnamed

I thought this might be the same guy. This photo wasn't dated or named.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (61.5 KB, 239 views)

Last edited by Laxcat; 08-18-2015 at 10:51 PM.
Old 08-18-2015, 11:16 PM
Don Stokes

Couldn't find a Walter Morris or a John Morris but a Morris played 3rd base on the 99-00 team
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1900 texas baseball.jpg (69.3 KB, 234 views)

Last edited by Dto7; 08-18-2015 at 11:17 PM.
Old 08-19-2015, 07:40 PM
Mark

The faces in posts #6 and #8 for sure do not match the face in post #1.
Old 08-19-2015, 08:21 PM
M.att C H A R L T O N

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmarlowe1 View Post
Hmm. The face in #6 #8 #9(sitting bottom left) are all the same guy. That guy is Walter Morris.
Old 08-20-2015, 05:37 AM
Brad

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmarlowe1 View Post
I agree with Mark and don't see any resemblance between Post #1 and the older gentleman in Post #6.

I don't have a lot of hair on top myself, so I can't answer this from personal experience, but isn't it a bit unusual for someone to change which direction they part their hair midway through life? The hair is parted opposite ways for the guys in #1 and #6.

Also, the cleft chin for the older gentleman in #6 is way off from #1.

If we know for sure that #6 is Walter Morris, then I think that rules him out as the picture in question for the OP. Just my two cents.
Old 08-20-2015, 07:18 AM

Thank you all for the sleuthing. I agree that the person in posts #6 and #8 is probably Walter Morris, but not the player in the photo I posted in #1. The later life comb-over could be an attempt to cover a follicle-challenged head, but I don't think the chin is the same.

I'll keep digging around, and hope that others will as well. Many thanks to everyone, including Scott--don't know why I called you Sean!

Cheers,
Mike
Old 08-20-2015, 08:42 AM
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laxcat View Post
Hmm. The face in #6 #8 #9(sitting bottom left) are all the same guy. That guy is Walter Morris.
No - it's really pretty simple. The ears in #6, #8, and the guy lower left in #9 do not match, therefore they cannot possibly be the same person.

Forensics aside, what you are telling us is that the 2 images below depict the same person, which is ludicrous.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1image.jpg (54.1 KB, 143 views)
File Type: jpg 2image.jpg (9.8 KB, 142 views)

Last edited by bmarlowe1; 08-20-2015 at 10:29 AM.
Old 08-20-2015, 11:54 AM
S Gross

Well, Mr. Morris was certainly a "someone" in Texas baseball history.

I'd contact the Texas HOF and see if they could put you in contact with a relative. I'd be surprised if they couldn't.

Also, I agree that the two Texas college photos are the same guy, but they are not Morris. As far as the elder Morris compared to "my" Knoxville Morris, I can't tell.

Although there are very compelling arguments that the Savannah player is not Morris, I still think (for what's that's worth ) it's him.

Sean, oh, Scott

When a get a break in doing nothing, I will also check some local Savannah History establishments.
Old 08-20-2015, 01:20 PM
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by mybuddyinc View Post
...Also, I agree that the two Texas college photos are the same guy..
The 2 college men are absolutely not the same person:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1image.jpg (54.1 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg 3imageus.jpg (15.1 KB, 127 views)
Old 08-20-2015, 01:55 PM

Thank you, again, for the input folks. We may never learn who it is......

Cheers, Mike
Old 08-24-2015, 01:17 PM
Don Stokes

Walter Morris 1908 St. Louis Cardinals
Attached Images
File Type: jpg walter morris 1908.jpg (74.8 KB, 83 views)
Old 08-25-2015, 08:09 PM
Mark

The Savannah player originally in question at left, J. Walter Morris with San Antonio c1905 at center, and Morris about a decade or so later at right. Substantially different nose, ear, chin shape and lips indicates that the Savannah player is not Morris. That said, finding Morris in a St. Louis uniform is a nice find.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Savannah player.jpg (37.9 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg Walter Morris BBinFtW002.jpg (38.1 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg Walter Morris texas league site presidents FA8uJ9yx.jpg (28.7 KB, 53 views)

Last edited by bmarlowe1; 08-25-2015 at 08:11 PM.