NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-10-2018, 06:16 AM
Robert Williams

Default When will I ever learn??

Like a hardhead, I continually list nice, vintage items on my own. And I continually see my items get pummeled for a fraction of their worth. Meanwhile, PWCC can sell even PSA 1's and 2's of commons for big money. At what point do I wave to white flag and stop listing on my own and just ship everything off to them?
Old 12-10-2018, 06:26 AM
rob.ert int.rieri

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
Like a hardhead, I continually list nice, vintage items on my own. And I continually see my items get pummeled for a fraction of their worth. Meanwhile, PWCC can sell even PSA 1's and 2's of commons for big money. At what point do I wave to white flag and stop listing on my own and just ship everything off to them?
The definition of insane is doing something over and over again and expecting a different outcome. Try it a few more times though to be sure.
Old 12-10-2018, 06:44 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

When I do something that doesn't work eventually I learn not to do it.

Quote:
Old 12-10-2018, 07:01 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
I think their are two kinds of auctions on PWCC's platform and most AH's: legitimate ones and shilled ones. if you are not going to engage a few friends to pump up the volume on your auctions you probably will be disappointed at the end of the day. That's certainly been my experience.
Old 12-10-2018, 07:10 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
I think their are two kinds of auctions on PWCC's platform and most AH's: legitimate ones and shilled ones. if you are not going to engage a few friends to pump up the volume on your auctions you probably will be disappointed at the end of the day. That's certainly been my experience.
So do you currently not send to them?

And Leon, didn't you use Heritage to dispose of your stuff? What did you think of them?
Old 12-10-2018, 07:15 AM
Scott S

Quote:
I know you've made this claim on here many times, but I have decent results when I run auctions, and I don't shill them.

I have no idea what you're selling, but maybe your expectations are too high? Why don't you post a couple of links to items where you got "pummeled for a fraction of their worth", and see if others agree.

You might be accurate, but I hardly ever see items sell on eBay for a fraction of their worth, so I'd love to see what you're listing.
Old 12-10-2018, 07:57 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter729 View Post
I know you've made this claim on here many times, but I have decent results when I run auctions, and I don't shill them.

I have no idea what you're selling, but maybe your expectations are too high? Why don't you post a couple of links to items where you got "pummeled for a fraction of their worth", and see if others agree.

You might be accurate, but I hardly ever see items sell on eBay for a fraction of their worth, so I'd love to see what you're listing.

Hmm...do a ebay search for 1940 World Series Stub PSA....I sold a game #7 stub last month for $172.01 (PSA 3)......last night I sold a PSA 4....I was expecting AT LEAST $200 (BINs of only authentic cards sell for $250+). The PSA 4 sold for less than the PSA 3 sold for - $164.06). That is frustrating.

Last edited by bobbyw8469; 12-10-2018 at 08:00 AM.
Old 12-10-2018, 08:14 AM
J0hn Collin$

Default When will I ever learn??

I don’t know if you are running auctions or what format. I have seen my items get “pummeled” before when I list a bunch of mediocre ungraded post war vintage with $1 starting bids or something like that. They sit there untouched and then someone sweeps in with a minute left and buys everything for the opening bid. If you have something slightly nicer (and it really helps if it’s graded) - then stick with BIN format maybe with offers so you won’t have to let something go for pennies on the dollar. Yes, it will take longer that way - but it’s worth it. I do this with anything I’m selling that I’m trying to get more than $50 out of.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by jchcollins; 12-10-2018 at 08:15 AM.
Old 12-10-2018, 08:29 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
I don’t know if you are running auctions or what format. I have seen my items get “pummeled” before when I list a bunch of mediocre ungraded post war vintage with $1 starting bids or something like that. They sit there untouched and then someone sweeps in with a minute left and buys everything for the opening bid. If you have something slightly nicer (and it really helps if it’s graded) - then stick with BIN format maybe with offers so you won’t have to let something go for pennies on the dollar. Yes, it will take longer that way - but it’s worth it. I do this with anything I’m selling that I’m trying to get more than $50 out of.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I'm running auctions....like the .99 cent variety. I am an "old schooler" Ebayer....Yes....I remember the hay day in the early 2000's when the fees were around 3-4% and everything did well on there. My how times have changed.
Old 12-10-2018, 08:34 AM
Mark Fox

Quote:
Hmm...do a ebay search for 1940 World Series Stub PSA....I sold a game #7 stub last month for $172.01 (PSA 3)......last night I sold a PSA 4....I was expecting AT LEAST $200 (BINs of only authentic cards sell for $250+). The PSA 4 sold for less than the PSA 3 sold for - $164.06). That is frustrating.
That is certainly frustrating. World Series tickets in general seem to be all over the place in regards to value.

Here is a 1940, Game 1, PSA 5 that went for $144 just in August 2018:
https://sports.ha.com/itm/baseball-c...151823-42135.s

Yet here is nother, 1940, Game 2, PSA 5 that went for $336 in August 2017
https://goldinauctions.com/1940_Worl...-LOT33067.aspx
Old 12-10-2018, 08:41 AM
Steve

I've won some and lost some with them. If you have a low-population mega-key card, you will probably realize a great price. In contrast, I would recommend selling most autographed items (except for autographed slabbed cards) yourself or with another service.

Steve

Quote:
Old 12-10-2018, 08:42 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by markf31 View Post
That is certainly frustrating. World Series tickets in general seem to be all over the place in regards to value.

Here is a 1940, Game 1, PSA 5 that went for $144 just in August 2018:
https://sports.ha.com/itm/baseball-c...151823-42135.s

Yet here is nother, 1940, Game 2, PSA 5 that went for $336 in August 2017
https://goldinauctions.com/1940_Worl...-LOT33067.aspx
And game 7's should be worth more....as it was the deciding game. Certain tickets also have a premium, depending on what happened during the game. PSA doesn't acknowledge that in their SMR.
Old 12-10-2018, 08:43 AM
Scott S

WS tickets have a much smaller collector base than a commodity type of card, and as noted in the Heritage links, prices can be all over the place. I have bought things like this from PWCC on the low end. I would totally agree with you that I wouldn't sell items like this in a straight .99 auction.

Hopefully this isn't the basis for the "woe is me" posts - if you post a decent T206 card and get half of a PWCC sale for a similar looking card, then you have some ground to stand on for the claim. But a one-off WS ticket sale is just a sign of a thinly-collected item vs. a mass shilling scandal or the world being out to get you.
Old 12-10-2018, 08:59 AM
Bruce Fairchild

What I have seen in the past year or so is the nicely centered cards in a 5 or 6 have really shot up. This applies to PWCC, Probstein and individuals.
Old 12-10-2018, 02:15 PM
Tony

Quote:
I have been asking myself this exact same question for months
Old 12-10-2018, 02:27 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsnstuff View Post
I have been asking myself this exact same question for months
It's ridiculous. Have all buyers just totally abandoned other sellers on Ebay and just gone exclusively with PWCC & Probstein? I thought Ebay was supposed to "level the playing field". Instead, it created a chasm that is a mile wide.
Old 12-10-2018, 02:36 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
It's ridiculous. Have all buyers just totally abandoned other sellers on Ebay and just gone exclusively with PWCC & Probstein? I thought Ebay was supposed to "level the playing field". Instead, it created a chasm that is a mile wide.
Bobby you've been complaining forever it seems that you aren't happy with your prices realized. Why don't you consign some lots and see how you do?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 12-10-2018, 02:43 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Bobby you've been complaining forever it seems that you aren't happy with your prices realized. Why don't you consign some lots and see how you do?
I've consigned with them in the past. I never got the earth shattering prices I see others get.....just so-so.....and I don't like waiting 4 months to get paid.
Old 12-10-2018, 02:49 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I've consigned with them in the past. I never got the earth shattering prices I see others get.....just so-so.....and I don't like waiting 4 months to get paid.
Then there you are.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 12-10-2018, 02:54 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
I've been pleased with the results every time I've consigned to pwcc, and not one of my auctions was shilled. I have also never had to wait 4 months to get paid. A couple of times I wanted the cash right away for another purpose, and 50-75% of what I estimated my cards would bring was sent the day after my shipment arrived.
Old 12-10-2018, 02:54 PM
Chase

Seems like Robert wants the 3rd option which usually does not exist. Me too Robert. For a day it would be nice to see what it is like to get the right grades on key cards I submit and get top dollar on a consignment.
Old 12-10-2018, 04:48 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantitiwinit View Post
The definition of insane is doing something over and over again and expecting a different outcome. Try it a few more times though to be sure.
^^THIS^^ I would ask for you to update us with the results but I am sure you will post the results without my asking.
Old 12-10-2018, 04:53 PM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

Bobby, when I want to sell I just put it on the bst with a price I think is fair. Or if I just want it gone I use the auction thread here.
Old 12-10-2018, 08:17 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Econteachert205 View Post
Bobby, when I want to sell I just put it on the bst with a price I think is fair. Or if I just want it gone I use the auction thread here.
Here???? As in Net54??? And you feel here does better than Ebay?? Don't get me wrong...I love it here. And I have been beaten up black and blue by Ebay. But SURELY Net54 doesn't get the eyeballs Ebay gets.....
Old 12-10-2018, 08:22 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Here???? As in Net54??? And you feel here does better than Ebay?? Don't get me wrong...I love it here. And I have been beaten up black and blue by Ebay. But SURELY Net54 doesn't get the eyeballs Ebay gets.....
Didn't you actually try selling on here and then complain about giving away cards on here also?
Old 12-10-2018, 08:26 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Didn't you actually try selling on here and then complain about giving away cards on here also?
That's what I'm saying...cause I did......so if I can't sell on here and get what items are worth...and can't sell on Ebay, and get what Items are worth....what is left??? Are we FORCED to use PWCC? Is that what has become of small time collectors? Cause it sure seems like it.

Last edited by bobbyw8469; 12-10-2018 at 08:29 PM.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:36 PM
Tony S.ti.ns.a
Tony Stins.a

Default My issue

Quote:
That's what I'm saying...cause I did......so if I can't sell on here and get what items are worth...and can't sell on Ebay, and get what Items are worth....what is left??? Are we FORCED to use PWCC? Is that what has become of small time collectors? Cause it sure seems like it.
———

It seems that you may just like your own cards more than the world does.

I find that my cards are my most favorite ones, other than cards for sale whose prices are too high for me to pull the trigger and buy them. You are an admitted collector and that probably makes you less objective than a dealer.

My issue with selling on eBay is that I can’t decide to do it. I keep buying things with an intention to sell and wind up deciding to keep the cards even if I have the cards already. Do you exhibit any of these traits? You may just be a collector.

Tony
Old 12-10-2018, 09:48 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
You also do not have to pay the fees to sell on here as with eBay.
Old 12-11-2018, 04:42 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
My issue with selling on eBay is that I can’t decide to do it. I keep buying things with an intention to sell and wind up deciding to keep the cards even if I have the cards already. Do you exhibit any of these traits? You may just be a collector.
Of course I am a collector. I also sell to supplement my collection. When a PSA 4 sells for less than a PSA 3 though, then there is a problem. It also has to do with the idol worship of certain sellers at the expense of everyone else.
Old 12-11-2018, 04:45 AM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

On here you can put the price you are willing to sell for and leave it. If you really want an item gone auction it. I’ve found I get close to eBay prices. That’s all.
Old 12-11-2018, 07:32 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Can’t people just buy something they like and put it away? I read all the time from people who say I need to sell something off first before I have the funds to purchase another card. This does not sound fun to me. Then they get pissed when it’s time to sell and they don’t think they got a fair price for their cards. Cry about fees, cry about being lowballed cry about shipping it’s on and on. I see so much bitterness and complaining on this site, along with other boards. It sounds like work....the hell with that lol.

Last edited by Johnny630; 12-11-2018 at 07:35 AM.
Old 12-11-2018, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
Can’t people just buy something they like and put it away? I read all the time from people who say I need to sell something off first before I have the funds to purchase another card. This does not sound fun to me. Then they get pissed when it’s time to sell and they don’t think they got a fair price for their cards. Cry about fees, cry about being lowballed cry about shipping it’s on and on. I see so much bitterness and complaining on this site, along with other boards. It sounds like work....the hell with that lol.
I’m on a lot of forums for my various hobbies. This is one of the few good ones. Go on a music forum sometime. Talk about bitterness. 😳
Old 12-11-2018, 09:12 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Our BST section- It's free to try!! I have bought and sold well over 100k there over the years....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Econteachert205 View Post
On here you can put the price you are willing to sell for and leave it. If you really want an item gone auction it. I’ve found I get close to eBay prices. That’s all.
Old 12-11-2018, 09:19 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

I thought you said you consigned to pwcc before and was killed

Also you promote your auctions and state that the buyer is going to get a good deal on your auctions....then if they do, you are not happy. Yes i know there are deals and there are DEALS....

but the market rules..
Old 12-11-2018, 11:20 AM
Luke Lyon

Seems like you don't like the variance involved with auctioning off your stuff. Why not just list it at BIN? Seems like all you want is a fair price, so I don't see why your listings wouldn't sell in a somewhat timely manner. As long as you are being realistic about what your stuff is worth.

If you're selling because you need the money right this minute, then you do kind of have to auction stuff and cross your fingers. But what about being a little more pro-active and listing some things as BIN before you need the money "right now"?
Old 12-11-2018, 11:42 AM
Gobucsmagic74

If you can’t beat ‘em I’d say join them. If you opt not to, there’s not much sense in complaining about it
Old 12-11-2018, 12:31 PM
John

I second what Luke said - with an established eBay profile, I would do a BIN with best offer. Even without schilling in the equation, getting a good price at auction requires some timing which results in risk. What if your potential buyers are on vacation, having a busy week at work, etc. I also think anyone who lists with prices based in reality has an advantage - so many BIN listings have absurd prices, when I see one that's realistic it makes me stop and think - should I just get it now rather than wait for an auction where I could either win and save a few dollars or lose.

Last edited by TanksAndSpartans; 12-11-2018 at 12:35 PM.
Old 12-11-2018, 02:32 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Our BST section- It's free to try!! I have bought and sold well over 100k there over the years....
I have used the bst here on several occasions both as a buyer and seller. If both parties can agree on a fair price someone will be saving 10-20% in Ebay or consignment fees. Ideally this difference is split and both come out ahead.