NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-01-2017, 10:28 PM
Scott ku.rtis

Default An eye-opening experience at the Card Grading Station

***This may be a miscast thread, please feel free to move it to the appropriate silo****

I'm relatively new to the modern method of card collecting. I have some vintage cards I collected back in the early 1990s, but until yesterday, I had never submitted anything for grading. Yesterday, though, at the Cow Palace in San Francisco, I finally submitted some things. I submitted a lot, and because of that, it took me about an hour to go through and line-item the inventory.

Nobody stole my stuff while I wasn't looking. Nobody gave me an exceptionally great or terrible experience. This isn't one of those types of posts. It's one of those posts where if you sit down for a while, you learn some stuff.

What did I learn? A lot of stuff, but this isn't a business case study, so I'll stick to the good stuff. I learned there's a lot of fake stuff out there. I would venture to guess that in the hour I sat there, I heard of approximately 5 to 7 items that were picked up and deemed either "unpassable" or "not real." I don't remember what they say, but basically, they don't authenticate it, and they give you a handout that explains it.

I had just returned from a trip to Asia, and I was jetlagged and foggy, so I didn't even comprehend what was going on around me until I was telling a co-worker about it tonight, when he asked how the show went. I started telling him, and then I was like "Dude, there was a lot of fake stuff there" and then I recalled 2 specific instances:

1) A Stephen Curry signed autograph 8 x 11. They wouldn't authenticate it. The guy said he ordered it directly from Stephen Curry mail order BEFORE he signed with Fanatics. I may have the company wrong, but the gist of it was "No way this is fake" and then I immediately switched ahead to the old President robo-signers from the 1950s and 1960s, and I'm not saying anything at all, but I'm just pointing out that the means this guy claimed to take to get the autograph, if true, raised my eyebrows (briefly, because as I said, I completely had forgotten about this until tonight). One of 3 things happened and the best possible outcome is that PSA had their b-team grader there and he just didn't pass an obvious autograph. I have my doubts, and I don't think it was that choice. The other 2 are the guy was lying about how he got it, or we have a President Curry robo-signer from back a few years ago.

2) A 1951 Tigers signed team ball. I could have the year wrong, because I wasn't too focused on it. All I heard was this: "We verified them all as good except for the Cobb." I don't know who was on the 1951 (or thereabouts) Tigers, but I have to assume the majority of that ball's value is centered around ole Mr. Cobb. I don't collect Cobb at all, but pardon my historical mental timeline when I just assumed he was dead by 1951.

Needless to say, despite my hazy recollections of the entire hour, I concluded there's a ton of fake stuff out there. So much so, that when I heard a guy coming to pick up his 2014 Giants World Champion signed team ball, I held my breath. I think it passed, but I lost my focus, so I can't recall with certainty. There was, however, enough un-verifiable merchandise in that hour that makes me weep for honesty in this world.

Anyone have any experiences like this?
Old 05-01-2017, 11:40 PM
Br3tt K0llin

I don't dabble in autographs for a variety of reasons, but I do know Ty Cobb lived well past 1951 (died in '61).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-02-2017, 04:05 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Feel free to read articles about Operation Bullpen, Eli Manning, Mastro Auctions, and Hauls of Shame. There are definitely fraudsters in this hobby.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 05-02-2017, 05:57 AM
Phillip Abbott
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
Feel free to read articles about Operation Bullpen, Eli Manning, Mastro Auctions, and Hauls of Shame. There are definitely fraudsters in this hobby.

63 charges and convictions
◾Seizures exceeding $4.9 million including 5 homes, cash, bank/investment accounts, jewelry, a Ferrari, a boat, and a Harley Davidson motorcycle.
◾18 forgery rings dismantled.
◾Over $300,000.00 in restitution paid to over 1,000 victims and continuing.
◾$15,253,000 in economic loss prevented in the seizure of tens of thousands of pieces of forged memorabilia through 75 search warrants and over 100 undercover evidence purchases.

I often wonder, how if they seized 5 million in assets, how they only pay a fraction of that in restitution.

It always makes me feel like the government stole the stolen proceeds from the thieves, gives some of it back, as justification that they did something good. If you were a victim, wouldn't you want to sue the government for not giving back all of the seized proceeds?
Old 05-02-2017, 06:32 AM
John D.

After living through card shows of the 80's and knowing people who faked autographs it is really difficult for me to buy any high dollar autograph today. I know that most of the authenticators are true experts in the hobby, but they are also human. If I don't know the person that got it signed, I do not buy it.
Old 05-02-2017, 06:40 AM
Daryl

Default Eye-opening

I don't buy any autograph's of living players unless I have them signed in person. I saw a segment on ESPN that 85% of autographed material of players that are alive are forged.
Old 05-02-2017, 01:43 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

I don't deal or am an expert in autographs, but, as an art and artifacts expert, my saying is "It's easy to make a forgery. It's hard to make a good forgery."

I assume the 85% includes a whole lot of bad forgeries.

Last edited by drcy; 05-02-2017 at 01:44 PM.