NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-08-2012, 07:47 PM
Dan Ski

Default Lessons learned-(copied from memorabilia side)

Hi - My name is Dan Sczechowski and I've been a regular viewer and buyer on the B/S/T section for awhile now. I reside in Douglassville, PA. I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right spot or not. I wanted to let everybody know that either the week prior to the SuperBowl or on SuperBowl weekend (maybe earlier than that) over $25k of sports cards were stolen out of my house. The main reason I'm posting this thread is to provide a couple of lessons learned over this loss. I didn't have pictures of my sports cards, the cards stolen were a four column box of very valuable cards. There were Mickey Mantle's cards that I was putting together from 1958-1969 (every base card with the exception of 1962), many Mays, Musial, Campanella, Clemente, etc. cards from the 50's-70's. I immediately contacted the police and put in a report, solicited my neighbors, handed out fliers, contacted local auction houses and am still checking ebay, craigslist and this website on a daily basis. I'm pretty sure they're gone forever.

I did not have pictures of my cards, my insurance company would not cover the loss because their was no proof that I owned the cards. The value of the cards were $25-50K with a sell value of $12-15K based on condition, etc.

Ensure you take pictures of all your cards and memorabilia or if you are already insuring your collection make sure the insurance company really knows what you have.

Secure your collectibles.

Install security alarms or cameras, I didn't have any...but do now.

I should have posted this sooner but am a pretty private individual. If somebody attempts to sell you a collection with 10-20 cards of each hall of famer that played in the 50's-70's please keep me in mind.

I am a Christian and am a forgiving person, I'll leave the individual go and let them answer to the man some day if they would bring them back. Honestly, I would not even prosecute if they were given back. I would prosecute if I found them at an auction house or some other avenue though. If you have any information, or have seen a collection like this, or somebody has offered them to you, please let me know. I know others have collections like this. But, each of us know what we have and I know I would know if they were mine or not just by seeing them, they were collected for the past 20 years or so with my hard earned money. My fingerprints would be all over the box and card holders, etc.

There were also a lot of autographs taken as well, I collect autographs ttm...

God Bless,
Dan
Old 04-08-2012, 08:10 PM
$teve O.

Dan,sorry to hear that.I live in Mohrsville not to far from you.I go to alot of the local flea markets looking for '50's- '70's cards mainly.If you want to pm me and give me a better idea what you had,I'll keep my eye out for you.
Steve
Old 04-08-2012, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danski496 View Post
Hi - My name is Dan Sczechowski and I've been a regular viewer and buyer on the B/S/T section for awhile now. I reside in Douglassville, PA. I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right spot or not. I wanted to let everybody know that either the week prior to the SuperBowl or on SuperBowl weekend (maybe earlier than that) over $25k of sports cards were stolen out of my house. The main reason I'm posting this thread is to provide a couple of lessons learned over this loss. I didn't have pictures of my sports cards, the cards stolen were a four column box of very valuable cards. There were Mickey Mantle's cards that I was putting together from 1958-1969 (every base card with the exception of 1962), many Mays, Musial, Campanella, Clemente, etc. cards from the 50's-70's. I immediately contacted the police and put in a report, solicited my neighbors, handed out fliers, contacted local auction houses and am still checking ebay, craigslist and this website on a daily basis. I'm pretty sure they're gone forever.

I did not have pictures of my cards, my insurance company would not cover the loss because their was no proof that I owned the cards. The value of the cards were $25-50K with a sell value of $12-15K based on condition, etc.

Ensure you take pictures of all your cards and memorabilia or if you are already insuring your collection make sure the insurance company really knows what you have.

Secure your collectibles.

Install security alarms or cameras, I didn't have any...but do now.

I should have posted this sooner but am a pretty private individual. If somebody attempts to sell you a collection with 10-20 cards of each hall of famer that played in the 50's-70's please keep me in mind.

I am a Christian and am a forgiving person, I'll leave the individual go and let them answer to the man some day if they would bring them back. Honestly, I would not even prosecute if they were given back. I would prosecute if I found them at an auction house or some other avenue though. If you have any information, or have seen a collection like this, or somebody has offered them to you, please let me know. I know others have collections like this. But, each of us know what we have and I know I would know if they were mine or not just by seeing them, they were collected for the past 20 years or so with my hard earned money. My fingerprints would be all over the box and card holders, etc.

There were also a lot of autographs taken as well, I collect autographs ttm...

God Bless,
Dan
Dan,
That's a horrible story and I'm sorry to hear about your loss.

Thanks for the advice. As collectors, hearing about things like this are very sobering and appreciated by all on net54....

I hope that you get lucky and somebody catches these crooks!
Old 04-08-2012, 08:51 PM

Dan:

That is that worst nightmare of anyone on this site outside of their collection getting destroyed. I am sorry to read about your loss and I hope you get the cards back.

I would focus on local card shops and maybe even pawn shops as well. Whoever took them is probably going to look to unload them quick and those are the quickest avenues.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:57 PM
Jon Canfield

Dan- sorry to hear about the theft. I also understand trying to balance your privacy with also getting the word out. One thing that may be helpful is to post a complete list, or at least some of the key cards (maybe any identifying marks/condition if you remember) for the whole board. There are a ton of members here and surprisingly, our collective memories are pretty good. You never know if someone might see one of the cards you post/describe. It may lead nowhere if the cards are generic, but you never know.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:05 PM
qualitycards

Dan, that stinks!
Send me your address via a PM and I'll send out some cards & autographs your way....jay
Old 04-08-2012, 11:49 PM
Banned

Dan, a couple of questions if not too personal.

Did they take anything else or just go right for the cards?

Do you think they were strangers or people who might have been in the house before and knew where to go?

Do you think the cards were the main target or they were just going for anything of value and stumbled across them?

Sorry to hear you got ripped off, and I hope they get caught.

ins. companies usually require special ins. for collectibles and collections, with at least a list of what you have and sometimes they will come and appraise it. But clear pictures and complete inventory is the best way to go.

There are also special ins. companies outside of homeowner ins. companies that insure collections.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:43 AM
James

As the song goes, lessons learned they sure run deep..they don't go away and they don't come cheap.

Sorry for your loss

http://www.collectorfocus.com/collec...wnscollector78
Old 04-09-2012, 06:52 AM
Scott

Very sorry for your loss Dan. Part of the problem w this world is it sucks very bad at times. I really hope you get your cards back and things improve for you.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:13 AM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

Great advice!.. I have some 50s stuff. Yours if u want it. Shoot me a pm. Best of luck