NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-12-2007, 08:56 PM
Administrator

Default Yes..same card as in the other thread but...color variation?

Posted By: Dave

I've gotten a couple emails from people thinking this was a color variation? I looked at the card on a couple websites and really wasn't able to tell much difference...wondered if maybe somebody with better eyes might know....also if anyone else has this O'Leary card and can post it...would be nice to compare...

Old 03-12-2007, 09:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: joe

Dave, here is mine. Looks different to me. Mine is darker red color background.

Joe

Ty Cobb, Spikes flying!

Old 03-12-2007, 09:56 PM
Administrator

So yours is more like the Chance Red portrait in color? Mine is kind of a burnt orange is probably best way to describe...interesting if that is the case..would love to see another this color. Again, the amazement I have for some seller that dont fully disclose what items they have...or are they just unaware...

Old 03-12-2007, 10:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Kevin

As shown in another thread...in addition to ghost images, color variations can also be created. True color differences are definitely verifiable but I just wanted to share that you should always keep a watchful eye.

Here is a 1952 with half the background changed to show the possibilities. Unfortunately it's much easier to do on pre-war cards with an emphasis on 206's.

Kevin

Old 03-13-2007, 04:53 AM
Administrator

Having read your posts in the past I do feel your pretty knowledgeable when it comes to altering cards....with all due respect on this one however, I kind of get the feeling if someone had the knowledge and a reason to change the color on the O'Leary, wouldn't that person also have enough know-how to soak the card and get the paper glued on the back to come off? Not sure otherwise what the benefit would be from doing the color alterations..when in effect by simply soaking the card in addition they could have easily had a PSA 5 or even PSA 6...just a thought to ponder.

Old 03-13-2007, 10:23 AM
Administrator

Hi Dave,

My post was not about the O'Leary card. That is more than likely a true variation, as many are.

My comment was more generalized in that we should not always take color variations at face value. Each should be looked at closely just to make sure no alterations have been made. Many times it may be difficult at best to determine, even by the most advanced collector.

I've learned that before making a statement that can be somewhat unbelievable...I should show some kind of example .

While we are on the subject, card doctors don't always make a card as perfect as possible. Sometimes they are made to look imperfect...just as long as the variation or alteration raises the value in some way. This double deception, creates a believability factor. It would be three steps forward and one step back. The end result would still be two steps ahead.

As an example...the O'Leary card, although real, could have easily had the scrap paper added. The collector would pay extra thinking, "I could remove that scrap."

Kevin

Old 03-13-2007, 10:32 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve f

Interesting reading.

>As an example...the O'Leary card, although real, could have easily had the scrap paper added. The collector would pay extra thinking, "I could remove that scrap."<

Twisted logic, but I reckon anything's possible in highend stuff. Kevin, you make my brain hurt.

Old 03-13-2007, 10:46 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Whether folks like you or not, or believe you or not, I appreciate you coming onto the board and sharing some of your knowledge. When trying to catch a criminal it's best to try to think like one. Most of us don't really think that way but it certainly helps to open it up a little.....(to catch a gopher.....be the gopher)....

Old 03-13-2007, 12:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John

Actually , I think Orange is the normal background….

Old 03-13-2007, 12:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

Ahhhh....another orange...and probably 15,000 more just like it....nothing too wonderful....lol

Old 03-13-2007, 12:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John

Well you can't win them all...LOL

The red above seems to be the less common if you do an ebay search all the O’Leary’s are orange....

Old 03-13-2007, 12:17 PM
Administrator

<Whether folks like you or not, or believe you or not, I appreciate you coming onto the board and sharing some of your knowledge. When trying to catch a criminal it's best to try to think like one. Most of us don't really think that way but it certainly helps to open it up a little>
So far the feedback has been very positive. No one is claiming to dislike or disbelieve...unless you know something I don't (LOL). Granted I needed to prove it first, which makes perfect sense.

It's not just being able to alter cards, I think anybody can do that. It's getting a variety past the professional graders and doing so each time. Once this is accomplished, knowledge can then be passed on because now it's proven credible.

"For now" I'm just bringing attention to some alterations that few knew could be done and might consider spending a fortune on. IMO at least a few collectors will now give some thought before buying that blank card or odd variation.

Who knows, maybe these posts are how graders learn as well.

Old 03-13-2007, 12:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I know the SGC graders and GAI read this board.....I am not sure the PSA guys do.....(insert PSA bashing remark here).....