NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-26-2008, 11:07 AM
Administrator

Default Sample of Conlin's sig

Posted By: Jeff J

Does anyone have a scan of Charles Conlin's signature on the back of one of his photos?

Trying to verify style to confirm genuine sigs.

Thanks..JJ

Old 03-26-2008, 12:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark Steinberg

I do not have Conlon's signed name, but here is a nice example of his handwriting. This is written on the back side of a Christy Mathewson original photo, in which Conlon describes Matty's face as showing signs of age.

Old 03-26-2008, 01:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

Conlon sometimes initialed 'c,' and typically circled his initial or full signatue. As Mark shows, he sometimes didn't sign or initial a photo, but included notes in his distinct handwriting. His writing was usually in pencil. His stamp, which is not always present, is the strongest evidence it is a Conlon.

For fine art photo collectors, the photographer's signature is very desirable, in part because its neat to have the artist's autograph but more significantly it shows the photo was personally handled by the photographer-- significant when buying an original. In fine art, the artist's signature usually indicates the photo was personally approved as A-okay by the artist. For a fine art lithograph intended to be sold at a gallery, the artist will go through a pile of prints, only signing those that meet his approval. The ones he doesn't like he won't sign. And, of course, the last thing a famous painter does is to sign the painting. So for fine art collectors, Picasso's signature on an original, cataloged etching is important, not because it's a 'celebrity autograph,' but because it shows Picasso looked at and personally approved that very etching. Many fine art collectors aren't autograph collectors, but like their purchases to be signed. An art collector may own authentic signatures of Warhol, Dali, Picasso and Renoir, but he might consider it derogatory if you call him an autograph collector. Don't say to the collector, "That Renoir autograph is nice, but do you have any Barbara Streisand signed baseballs?"

Obviously, most UPI, AP photos and wirephotos aren't signed by the photographer, but Conlon signed and/or noted many of his photos. This writing proves the photo was personally handled by the photographer. Most stamped by him were likely personally handled by him too, but his authentic handwriting is the ultimate proof.

Old 03-26-2008, 01:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jodi Birkholm

There was a TLS of Conlon on eBay some time ago. I placed a low-end bid on it, but was outsniped. There was also a George Burke letter in a lot of misc. baseball ephemera that I wished I had kept tabs on. The problem is that there is no price gauge for these autographs. I can't see them being terribly valuable, but they are certainly interesting.

Old 03-26-2008, 02:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Patrick McMenemy

Here's the back of my Roger Bresnahan Conlon Photo.

Patrick

Old 03-26-2008, 03:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

I had a signed handwritten letter from a famous French photographer. I had to ask my French speaking neighbor to tell me what it said. The interesting thing was since I didn't know what it was said, it was actually easier to judge the authenticity of the handwriting. My eyes were not distracted by content. I suspect collectors are often more willing to accept bad handwriting as good when the words say what they expect it to say.

Old 03-26-2008, 03:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

Jodi...

You are right, that the photographers' autographs themselves may not be highly valued. But to have the photographer's signature or handwritten notes on the reverse of an orginal photo enhances the value significantly (as David pointed out above).

The photographer's notes can also add a new insight into what he saw in the photo. These notes often communicate a perspective that might have been interpreted differently (or gone unnoticed).

I have often wondered... who is thought to be the "King" of early baseball photography? The major auctions feature Conlon, Bain, Van Oeyen and Paul Thompson quite a bit. And of course there are some unforgettable works by Nat Fein, Burke, and others.

Who is the photographer that took so many of the portrait shots used in the T206 Set, including Wagner (Horner?) Any thoughts as to who is the most revered photographer of the bunch?

Old 03-26-2008, 03:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jodi Birkholm

Conlon, without a doubt. He and Burke were true artists of the genre. Their photos age with an inexplicable grace. Although most of them were posed/portraits, their images still manage to better capture a sense of living in their respective eras than those of their contemporaries.

On the flipside, I can also understand Dan's love of snapshots. Their often off-kilter angles and clarity convey what is must have been like to be a spectator.