NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 05-09-2008, 03:20 AM
Administrator

Default 07' National Story Posted on SportsAntiques.com

Posted By: CarltonHendricks

http://www.sportsantiques.com/2007NATIONAL/07natstory1.htm
Dear friends,
Please know, along with my previously posted 9 pages of photos, I have now posted my 4 page written account of the 28th annual 2007 National Sports Collectors Convention on my website SportsAntiques.com. Please click the link above to go to it.

My 07’ National story features details of my pre-convention trip to Philadelphia and Adamstown PA. along with many photos of the sights I saw.

There are six sub photo pages linked from page one. Of these six pages, five are of Philadelphia and one is of Adamstown. Included are:

1. Boathouse Row
2. Kelly Drive
3. Frederic Remington “Cowboy“ statue
4. the Washington Monument
5. Constitution Square
6. Adamstown

There are also six more sub photo pages of dealers booths throughout the story, making a total of 12 sub photo pages.

What took so long you ask? It’s enormous work, and there’s no monetary incentive. I probably need to pursue sponsorship for future National stories so I would be accountable to a deadline, though probably too late for 08‘. I believe my National stories timeless, as my page views prove. This is my fifth National coverage, and at this point I feel a stewardship to maintaining a record of them for everyone. Thanks to the internet, my coverage is available perpetually 24/7 anywhere in the world.

I have added a special bonus to this years story, I visited John Gennantonio in Cincinnati after the National and took photos of his collection. I’ve posted them on their own separate page which is located at the end.

Enjoy the show!
-Carlton

Old 05-09-2008, 07:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Alan

Carlton - It's about $%^&^* time you posted it (j/k)
See you in Chicago !!!

Old 05-09-2008, 08:24 AM
Administrator

Posted By: boxingbaseballgolf33

great post, I enjoyed reading about your trip

Jimmy

Old 05-09-2008, 09:02 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark

Thanks so much for posting, Carlton! I wasn't able to be at the National last year, so the writeup and photos were invaluable. Thanks for the very thorough recap!

I almost wish you did not post pictures of John's collection, though... felt kinda sick to my stomach afterwards. I don't think I have ever been as envious in my life. Boy, he has some amazing stuff... a lot of that turn of the century equipment looks to be unused. Must be one-of-a-kind, in that fine condition. Thanks again!

Old 05-09-2008, 09:46 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brock G.

I feel your pain Mark. Some truly amazing stuff. Trophy balls, lemon peel balls, ring bats, workman gloves, even a fingerless glove! The 19th C. belts really did it for me though. As did the pristine catchers equipment. I have to stop.

Old 05-09-2008, 02:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark

Exactly... a mind-blowing collection! Even if you have unlimited money, how do you even locate all of this (much less in pristine unused condition??)

John must have some unbelievable contacts, and lots of friends in very high places!

Old 05-09-2008, 08:51 PM
Administrator

Hey thanks everyone, I'm glad you're enjoying it, that's why I put it up. Yes John is a veteran in the collecting war, he doesn't waste a lot of bullets. I think he's very selective and waits for the right stuff to surface. Enjoy the story -Carlton

Old 05-09-2008, 09:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Keith

Thanks for the great writeup. I have never been to a National, and it was really great to see the kind of top notch stuff that shows up there. I will definitely have to make it to one someday. You can tell how much effort you put into your writeup, and it was a great read, Thanks

Old 05-13-2008, 05:47 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Greg Theberge

Great article Carlton! Thanks for taking the time to post it. While I've been pretty quiet doing the sports memorabilia stuff lately, it was refreshing to see such a nice piece of work. It makes you feel like you're there. Adamstown is a great place, isn't it? While I think I've found 1 item there in thirty years specific for my couple of hobbies, it's always great to see such a nice array of different stuff there.

Greg

Old 05-13-2008, 07:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Thanks for the writeup Carlton. Always enjoyable.

Old 05-17-2008, 03:42 AM
Administrator

Keith, Greg, Dan, Thanks so much for posting, I really appreciate the feedback.
Keith, Yes you should go, make a vacation out of it.
Greg, glad you got into the story like that. Yes Adamstown is a trip (70's slang). One of these days it won't rain while I'm there LOL. It's great getting out there at 4:00am. I'd like to go to Kutztown PA sometime too, which isn't too far away from Adamstown.
-Carlton

Old 05-18-2008, 05:37 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Greg Theberge

Carlton,

Where are you located? Do you get to Adamstown frequently?

We're from RI and my sister lives in Nazareth PA which is a little over an hour away from Adamstown. I get down there maybe once every few years depending on what day I'm at my sister's house. I think I found one item for my beer collection there after thirty years of looking. I know you like old advertising, so if you have an interest in this stuff, check it out at:

www.rhodeislandbreweryhistory.com

A few years back I picked up a nice Ted Williams Hartland Statue there but now that I only collect pre-1920 Red Sox, will eventually end up getting rid of it.

What I usually get at Adamstown are things my wife says I shouldn't buy (too many "tangents")- stuff I remember from my childhood, like Munster comic books, etc. The place always has a lot of cool stuff there. I especially love Renninger's which I remember going to as a kid.

Anyway, I always felt that the social aspect of collecting was just as important as obtaining material possessions. The people you meet and get to know, and the stories that go along with them are just as fun, if not more so. It's nice when you run into folks on this forum, or on your website for examples, that bring this to light on the computer screen. Your article made me feel like I was there.

Thanks again for all of your hard work. I know (putting out two websites myself) how much time and effort you spent on it.

Go Sox!

Greg

Old 05-24-2008, 11:31 AM
Administrator

Greg, I went to your site, quality site well put together, the photos of your beer collection are fabulous, you've obviously got a lot of windshield time in, collecting it all. Great Job!

I'm in California, so I'm way far away from Adamstown and have only been able to go there twice. I was talking to this dealer one time at an antiques show, who like me was from California and was crazy about Adamstown....he said he told his wife he wanted to be buried there! LOL Even though I didn't find much in antique sports items either time, it's fun seeing a lot of general antiques...it's just a target rich environment, and you never know! Oh yes, those "tangents"...You're always nervous about spending money on them since you don't know when you'll need that money for your next sports find, but sometimes you just can't help yourself...like this 70" wide Case pocket knife advertising display I got not long ago that now hangs in my kitchen....

When you're out there looking for sports stuff, natually you're gonna find some non-sport stuff you just can't pass up.

I agree with you wholly about the social aspect of colleting! I've always said it's not just about getting a bunch of stuff.....it's about the whole journey. The places you see and the friends you make along the way. If you take collecting in this "whole journey" view, it's a fantastic rich experience!

Thanks much for posting, and stay in touch.
-Carlton