NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 10-06-2007, 10:11 AM
Administrator

Default which ruth is real and which is fake?

Posted By: Vanessa Phipps

Hey I thought I would have a little fun. Which one of these ruth cards are real and which is a reprint. I know this belongs on pre war but I kind of like the attitude of the post war board better.

Thanks! Fire Houston Nutt

Old 10-06-2007, 09:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Marty

For my money, the top one is the reprint. It looks like it is artivicially aged but more important is that the circle on the bottom right back looks more clear on the bottom one when the imases are blown up.

Old 10-06-2007, 09:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Chris

Top, the stock looks too white.

Old 10-07-2007, 12:17 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Kevin Saucier

Easy!

The top is real. The type on back is the right color and boldness with minimum space on the bottom border. The aged back is worn as it should be...not a chipped undercoat. The background color and picture of Ruth is strong and appropriate with close printing.

Bottom card:
The type on the back is too light and there is way too much space on the bottom...that where the "reprint" line goes. The back edge/borders shows an off (dark) color and are chipping which means it was not not letter-pressed but coated (dead give-away). The pic on front is weak, print is blury and the background color is wrong.

I could keep going

Kevin

Old 10-07-2007, 07:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul S

It's not always "fair" in comparing scans when the scanning process itself is so disimilar -- i.e., one larger, sharpened more, brightened more, etc. That said, I'd say right off the bat that the top is real. The first thing that catches my eye is the coloring, especially on the front. A good way to tell on this card is the yellowish "shading" in the center of the uniform of the real card. I happened to scan my own card recently and noticed that right away.

Old 10-07-2007, 07:25 AM
Administrator

I am sorry about the two size differences. I had a little trouble getting them on there. I will reveal the real Ruth after a few more posts. I am getting some very good info though on spotting a fake.

Thank You!!! Fire Houston Nutt!!!

Old 10-07-2007, 07:34 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JimCrandell

Vanessa,

Kevin already revealed it. Certainly he is not wrong.

Old 10-07-2007, 07:49 AM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

by the scans posted i would think both are reprints.

Old 10-07-2007, 07:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Marty

The easiest way to get the cards scanded the same size is to have both of them in the same scan.

Old 10-07-2007, 07:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: sagard

I have yet to see a Sport Kings / Goudey reprint with a banner bleed through. Top one is real without a doubt.

Old 10-10-2007, 06:37 AM
Administrator

The top one is the real card. The bottom unfortunately is mine. Thank you all who wrote in for the tips on spotting a fake. Dont worry I didnt pay a whole lot for the bottom card and I did buy it knowing that it was probably a reprint.

Old 10-10-2007, 07:33 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul S

Vanessa -- When possible you can always post an image here before plunking down the money. If you want to supply a link to it but are worried about "outing" an auction because you don't want more bidders jacking-up the price, then send an email to someone here you feel you can trust...that would be most of us. By the way, if know you are getting something real cheap then chances are that's exactly what you are getting! Folks here seem to be more worried than you are about getting burned!