NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-21-2002, 12:51 PM
Administrator

Default About vintage card scarcities

Posted By: TBob

I was wondering if the much trumpeted growing scarcity of caramel and tobacco cards is a feeling shared by those on this board. It seems to me that E94s, 97s and 98s, for example, are getting harder and harder to find. I wasn't collecting these 3 sets 5-10 years ago so I don't know if they were just as difficult then or not. Could it be that more and more of these cards (along with Obaks and T207s) are winding up in the collections of collectors to stay there until the distant future as opposed to people buying them for immediate re-sale to turn a profit?
I remember well a post from Scott Brockelman a couple of years ago in which people were dogging the T207 cards for their drab colors and lack of name players in the set and Scott said to just send them to him, he'd take all he could get. I think he was ahead of the times and they seem to be pretty hot right now, at least the "non-most common" 50 or 60 which always appear on ebay. I personally think a lot of us finally completed our T205 and 206 sets (less the Big Ones) and have turned to other sets, hence the interest in the 204, 207, etc.
What do others think? Just curious...

Old 11-22-2002, 01:05 AM
Administrator

Default About vintage card scarcities

Posted By: brian parker

I think that there are about the same amount of vintage cards available out there in the market as there were a decade to 15 years ago. In fact, there might even be more available to purchase to the casual consumer now due to the major auction houses expanding their customer base, and Ebay making them available to a nationwide audience. Before you had to get lucky at a card shop, card show or know the right dealers with the inventory. No decent card shops and shows near you--either drive a long distance or you are out of luck. The market has remained the same, just the marketplace has altered.

I believe the dynamic of the whole dealer/collector relationship has gradually shifted over the years. When at one time a longtime collector would sell his collection to a trusted dealer, who would sell the cards individually at card shows or through a catalog, this collector is more likely to send his choice cards and tough sets to a major auction house, which quite often end up in another collectors hands only. So these tough cards are available, but only if you have enough money to blow in one large chunk. Individual cards show up, but as is true in the case of Ebay, you will be bidding against many other dedicated collectors from around the nation. Good luck if you are hoping to land one cheaply--it probably won't happen.

When I first started collecting vintage bb cards, the small size E-cards were, believe it or not, a somewhat neglected and looked down upon group of cards. They lacked the availability of the T cards, were deemed inferior aesthetically in comparision to such beautiful sets as the T206, T205, T3's, etc, and were frowned upon because of their usual lesser condition, having been collected by kids instead of tobacco smoking adults. For the most part the pricing on such cards reflected this. It has only been the last dozen or so years that they have risen in stature in collectors eyes, and the last five years or so have really taken off in terms of collector interest.

Which brings me to another point. I believe that the rising collector interest in vintage bb cards is the main reason for the seeming scarcity of tougher cards. In just the last few years Ebay has risen the visibility of our little bb collecting niche. I think there is more interest in the less common and unusual cards now, partly because Ebay has exposed the relative scarcity of some issues versus such monsters as the T206 and Goudeys. If you have collected a long time you probably already have acquired a good notion of which cards and issues are less common, but this knowledge is much more readily accessible and obtainable by the newer collector from tracking Ebay listings. Also, Ebay allows a person to view a (usually) decent image of the actual card, where before it might have just been a description or listing in a catalog. Visuals sell and increase exposure. This expanded interest in cards from non-major issues means more collectors, and when there are more collectors there is an increased liklihood that at least some of these people are the type to never sell, or when they do to send their large accumulations to an auction house. Which recycles the auction house point I made earlier.

Wow, sometimes a synopsis turns into an essay. Feel free to make as many red pencil corrections in the margins as necessary.

Brian