NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-08-2020, 11:50 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Default New Hobby Saying

Someone on the Blowout forum said it about a trimmed PSA card.

"It has perfect centering: 45/45."

I think that should be the new saying about perfectly centered PSA cards: 45/45 centering.
Old 01-08-2020, 12:05 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

That’s funny
Old 01-08-2020, 12:20 PM
Jeremy W.

That was Peter Spaeth.
Old 01-08-2020, 01:01 PM
Derek Granger

BWAHAHAHA! Nice one!

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)
Old 01-17-2020, 02:08 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

That's pretty funny....

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
Someone on the Blowout forum said it about a trimmed PSA card.

"It has perfect centering: 45/45."

I think that should be the new saying about perfectly centered PSA cards: 45/45 centering.
Old 01-17-2020, 04:56 PM
Howard Chasser

Default Just thinking....

The scandal gives whole new meaning to the term "short cut"
Old 01-19-2020, 11:53 AM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcv123 View Post
The scandal gives whole new meaning to the term "short cut"
.... and "Selling Short".
Old 01-19-2020, 12:01 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

…. and Small Traditions
Old 01-19-2020, 12:22 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Does anyone think any card alterers will do jail time ?

I think sadly none will.....to hard to prove.

This will all blow over.....alleged number 1 offenders are still going strong doing business ....TPG’s are still slabbing a record amount of cards .......

It’s all up to the Buyer/Buyer Beware.....I think it’s all priced in.
Old 01-19-2020, 12:42 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
Does anyone think any card alterers will do jail time ?

I think sadly none will.....to hard to prove.

This will all blow over.....alleged number 1 offenders are still going strong doing business ....TPG’s are still slabbing a record amount of cards .......

It’s all up to the Buyer/Buyer Beware.....I think it’s all priced in.
It is indeed a "buyer beware" environment. The less we support these dealers and less we submit to corrupt TPGs, the more they will feel it in the wallet (and perhaps make some changes in order to stay afloat). Given PSA's arrogance and denial, I doubt that they'll ever change their schtick. But at least an honest/competent/impartial alternative TPG could arise from this.

Do you believe no jail time or punishment will occur just because it's taking so long to see any arrests or indictments from Law Enforcement? Is there any other evidence or reason you believe they'll all get off scot-free? We know the FBI takes quite a while to conduct a full and deep investigation.

I am getting discouraged too... the number of altered cards residing in numbered PSA Holders is accelerating (and showing no signs of slowing down). It is quite frustrating that the shady dealers, card doctors and especially PSA get to conduct business as usual throughout the FBI investigation.

But what is your basis for thinking that no arrests, punishments, or shut-downs will occur in the end? The mountain of indisputable evidence already has them all dead-to-rights.
Old 01-19-2020, 01:39 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
It is indeed a "buyer beware" environment. The less we support these dealers and less we submit to corrupt TPGs, the more they will feel it in the wallet (and perhaps make some changes in order to stay afloat). Given PSA's arrogance and denial, I doubt that they'll ever change their schtick. But at least an honest/competent/impartial alternative TPG could arise from this.

Do you believe no jail time or punishment will occur just because it's taking so long to see any arrests or indictments from Law Enforcement? Is there any other evidence or reason you believe they'll all get off scot-free? We know the FBI takes quite a while to conduct a full and deep investigation.

I am getting discouraged too... the number of altered cards residing in numbered PSA Holders is accelerating (and showing no signs of slowing down). It is quite frustrating that the shady dealers, card doctors and especially PSA get to conduct business as usual throughout the FBI investigation.

But what is your basis for thinking that no arrests, punishments, or shut-downs will occur in the end? The mountain of indisputable evidence already has them all dead-to-rights.

Mark I’m more along the lines thinking this.....Auction Houses will have to pay back for bad cards...not criminally Civilly .....if shilling/market manipulation is proven then maybe they are charged criminally for fake sales. As for card doctors I Believe it’s extremely difficult to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that a specific person altered said specific card....idk maybe it’s just me being a cynic.

PSA/TPGs will face zero criminal consequences they’re just rendering a opinion.
Only if and Major If there are proven bribes being taken by their employees for specific clients...Major .auction houses may have to sue the TPG for having to buy back so many bad cards...unless it’s proven that they’re in on something with the Graders...idk

It’s really slimeballish we all know this coming into the game...it’s been this way for 30 plus years......doesn't make it right or justifies any of this....that’s why I believe the market and only market can fix this Nothing more noting less buyer beware.

So I think certain auction houses and it’s affiliates whom bid up MAY face some criminal stuff for shill bidding not for altering cards......

I think No card doctors will be prosecuted super hard to prove...
Old 01-19-2020, 01:48 PM
Howard Chasser

Default I am praying....

That the wheels are turning and there will be some level of justice done by the end of it all. Operation bullpen took a long time (months?) to unfold.

I hope heads roll. I am sure there will be others to take their place, just hopefully slow that train down!
Old 01-19-2020, 01:48 PM
Howard Chasser

Default I am praying....

That the wheels are turning and there will be some level of justice done by the end of it all. Operation bullpen took a long time (months?) to unfold.

I hope heads roll. I am sure there will be others to take their place, just hopefully slow that train down!
Old 01-19-2020, 01:49 PM
Howard Chasser

Default and

Quote:
Originally Posted by tschock View Post
.... and "Selling Short".
little league
Old 01-19-2020, 01:55 PM
Fred

New Hobby Saying....

"It's PSA's opinion that......"
Old 01-21-2020, 09:53 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
New Hobby Saying....

"It's PSA's opinion that......"
It's all a "Billion dollar fraud"
Old 01-21-2020, 09:57 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuddjcal View Post
It's all a "Billion dollar fraud"
Yes it is but as you should have noticed by now everyone but the few malcontents are in on it and want you to shut up.
Old 01-21-2020, 04:35 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Overheard at PWCC...

"Wait, this card is still the same price!!! You told me it was 20% off!!!"

(Sound of a paper cutter in the background) "Not off the price, silly, off the card itself."

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 01-21-2020, 07:20 PM
Howard Chasser

Default i Guess

this scandal could redefine a % off sale!
Old 01-22-2020, 05:17 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

We are all shocked, appalled, dismayed, disgusted, etc., by the doctoring scandal. I daresay that many of us are scared too, given the investments in slabs that were made. I'd urge those who are down on the hobby as a result to step back and recalibrate a bit. If you still love collecting cards, there is no reason to quit because TPGs are rampantly incompetent and corrupt--you just need to shift your emphasis away from slabs. I've been having a ball--and saving a ton of money and storage space--collecting raw cards and replacing slabs with raw cards. To me, a little bit of honest wear is just a sign that the kid who had the card before me enjoyed it and appreciated it and saved it for me to play with before I send it on to the next kid.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 01-22-2020, 06:21 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
We are all shocked, appalled, dismayed, disgusted, etc., by the doctoring scandal. I daresay that many of us are scared too, given the investments in slabs that were made. I'd urge those who are down on the hobby as a result to step back and recalibrate a bit. If you still love collecting cards, there is no reason to quit because TPGs are rampantly incompetent and corrupt--you just need to shift your emphasis away from slabs. I've been having a ball--and saving a ton of money and storage space--collecting raw cards and replacing slabs with raw cards. To me, a little bit of honest wear is just a sign that the kid who had the card before me enjoyed it and appreciated it and saved it for me to play with before I send it on to the next kid.
Raw frightens me too for this reason......many have been cracked outta holders and have altering problems.......I’m glad I’ve sold most it’s sad but I’ve made peace with it.
Old 01-22-2020, 06:21 PM
+0m J()rd@N

The ironic thing is that 'we' could put the TPGs or even certain AHs or dealers out of business by just not using them anymore. What if we went just one month without submitting, consigning or buying from any of these crooked businesses?

It would take quite an effort to organize a boycott though and in the end, if they still have the 'precious' there will still be people prostituting themselves to get their grubby fingers around a piece of cardboard. Sad.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old 01-24-2020, 11:24 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Yes it is but as you should have noticed by now everyone but the few malcontents are in on it and want you to shut up.
That is what is so painfully obvious is that they ARE ALL in on it. and collectors obviously know about what a dogshit company PSA is by now. Yet they keep spoon feeding them $$$ like the imbeciles they are and hope nothing changes. All the while PSA is alienating the collector by censoring everyone and not taking any responsibility for their part. No road map to fix what ails them. Nothing.

THAT IS PRECISELY HOW YOU KNOW they are in on the scam.
Old 01-24-2020, 12:43 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Well, saying we know PSA is in on the scam is a bit too tin foil hat for me, but it is certainly accurate to say that PSA's management doesn't care and won't care unless and until this damages the bottom line or results in criminal charges against PSA personnel.

I've stopped submitting cards to PSA, though I still have a back order sitting there since last fall. So take that you greedy dicks! You won't have my 100 cards a year to kick around any more.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 01-24-2020 at 12:44 PM.
Old 01-26-2020, 03:04 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

From what we have seen, most prudent folks would think PSA is either incompetent or committing fraud. Except for a potential rogue employee or two I am still picking the first option. And PSA is great at marketing. They continue to sweep, sweep and sweep some more under the rug. Problem is the things they were sweeping under the rug have piled up so much they are coming out of the other end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Well, saying we know PSA is in on the scam is a bit too tin foil hat for me, but it is certainly accurate to say that PSA's management doesn't care and won't care unless and until this damages the bottom line or results in criminal charges against PSA personnel.

I've stopped submitting cards to PSA, though I still have a back order sitting there since last fall. So take that you greedy dicks! You won't have my 100 cards a year to kick around any more.