NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-08-2007, 01:24 PM
Administrator

Default Announcing a new forum- Net54 Memorabilia Forum

Posted By: leon

So I was riding around mowing grass yesterday on my zero turn radius mower and gave some thought to the question of a memorabilia forum. About 2 years ago when Brian and I took this one (NET54 VBC) over there had been some stink about this one getting too far away from cards and we wanted a more focused "card" board. That is the reason we started another board that was card centric. Well, it's a new day and, in trying to make this board better, we are going to institute a memorabilia forum this evening. It will be completely seperate from this main page. The project was already started and finished last night. Hopefully it won't take a lot more of our time but we'll see how it goes. It will be implemented this evening and there will be an icon right next to the OldCardboard icon that you will be able to click on to go to it. It will look exactly like this forum except there won't be a poll and the BST part will revert back to the baseball BST...with memorabilia still being an option toward the bottom. We (Brian and I) don't anticipate any issues but please understand it's a work in progress and a trial. I never will institute something on the board that I will not be able to reverse if something unintended happens in a negative way. I hope it's half as successful as this one. It will be for almost anything Pre-War baseball.....but again it will be a work in progress. Memorabilia will still be allowed on this board and considered mildly off topic as it is now....I can only imagine what the naysayers will say...but hey- we will never please everyone. best regards

edited typo...

Old 05-08-2007, 01:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill Stone

Thanks Leon ---more options are always appreciated.

Old 05-08-2007, 01:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Corey R. Shanus

Thanks Leon. I much appreciate your openess in addressing my (and others') concerns about promoting more discussion about vintage memorabilia topics. I look forward to participating and will even inquire into buying a scanner that will allow me to post transparencies!

Old 05-08-2007, 01:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave Snyder

That's wonderful news Leon - I think it's a great idea and I sincerely hope it works out. I, for one, will use it frequently. Thanks again for all your hard work.

-Dave

Old 05-08-2007, 01:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve Murray

What is the strict definition of "memorabilia"?

For example, are postcards memoralilia or cards?

Are supplements such as M101-2, etc. memoribilia or cards?

How about pins? P-2, etc.

How about felts? Blankets? if we post on VBC are we O/T?

Is the memoribilia limited to "pre-war"; i.e. does it have to be vintage?

I guess I could go on and on but I'll stop here.

Old 05-08-2007, 01:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter chao

Steve M.,

Your just a trouble-maker.

Peter

Old 05-08-2007, 01:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve Murray

It's "you're"

Where were you Barry?

Old 05-08-2007, 01:46 PM
Administrator

As I said...it's a work in progress.....I am not sure there is an unequivocal definition for many things. Try telling me what a "card" is? At the same time I can safely say bats, gloves, uniforms, trophies, trophy balls, books, and other ephemera all would fit nicely in memorabilia. If someone doesn't like the way this forum is run then they won't like that one. If you like this one then you will like that one. The same openness and willingness will be applied there. We want to keep this main forum about the cards we all know and love....while giving folks comfortable with NET54 a seperate and distinct ON TOPIC place to discuss memorabilia. I hope that makes sense........best regards

Old 05-08-2007, 02:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Excellent Leon. Thank you.

Old 05-08-2007, 02:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

I'm right here- I was actually taking a nap.

Now that I'm awake, "you're" means "you are." If I had a nickel for every time someone got that wrong, I would have already retired.

And while we are on the subject- Leon, it's "separate" with an "a". Otherwise, I look forward to the memorabilia section, too. I promise to start threads on subjects that don't come up on the main board, such as rare baseball books, one of my favorite areas and one that today is sadly neglected.

Old 05-08-2007, 02:36 PM
Administrator

I only get a B in spelling and probably a C+ overall. I was never that good at schoolin' . The page is ready to go and it will be up this evening. A neat little icon will appear on the front page. I hope your vintage books threads don't get overlooked on the memorabilia forum. The main reason I didn't want to do this before is because of the potential amount of time it could take to moderate 2 boards. The setting up of the new board was easy. Brian did it all.....also, it does keep in line with this board being even more focused on cards. I can't imagine this new concept being a bad thing but I am sure someone will come up with something.....Heck, maybe I will get into memorabilia when I start seeing it more....nah, I am a card guy....regards

Old 05-08-2007, 03:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Denny

Just another cool place to Lurk...Hmmmm...Maybe I'll continue to learn...as I bob & weav thru all da murkie waters of OT's...or is that pitch & list thru da murkie waters? Anyways, it will be most interesting to say da least....

Barry, You need to Capitalize Steve's correction of Peter's spellin'...

Life's Grand,
Denny Walsh

Old 05-08-2007, 03:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter ullman

barry I love it!!! I gave up correcting my co-worker's grammar years ago...these Minnesotans say some funny stuff! Leon...memorabilia site sounds great!

pete in mn

Old 05-08-2007, 03:14 PM
Administrator

Leon- "schoolin'" is a great word!

That's where you learn reading, riting, and 'rithmetic

Old 05-08-2007, 03:31 PM
Administrator

Given enough time, everyone on the board will be writing and spelling flawlessly...and what that has to do with memorabilia is anyone's guess.

Leon, roughly what time tonight will we launch?

Old 05-08-2007, 03:56 PM
Administrator

Will baseball cards be off topic in the new forum.

On a serious note there are a lot of collectors here who collect boxing, golf or other sports related cards and memorabilia will that stuff be too off topic for the new board?

Old 05-08-2007, 04:17 PM
Administrator

Lets see how the new forum goes. The one thing I don't want to do is take away from my good friends at the non-sports forum on Net54, ran by Tom B. Maybe there will be a boxing section of the new forum? It will be up this evening and we can see how it goes. My main goal is to keep this side of the Net54 as close to baseball cards as possible....which I would include as baseball postcards, felts, silks, etc....I am not opposed to other stuff on the other side but maybe those will be considered OT over there but still permitted? We will open up a question/answer and suggestion thread as soon as it's up this evening....not sure how to get better input than that.....

edited for crappy grammar....

Old 05-08-2007, 04:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bruce Babcock

Leon, are you admitting your grass has been "trimmed?" (Insert smiley icon here.) Can we see a picture of your zero radius mower?

Old 05-08-2007, 05:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dylan

I dont think pins, M101-2 , B18, and the like should be considered off topic in this forum. While I dont collect any of the above, I still enjoy reading about them. The difference for me is that these items were designed with the same idea in mind as baseball cards, advertisement. While memorabilia consists of the items used by players and the baseball leagues. While i like to look at balls, bats, trophys, and gloves, I agree with Leon that a seperate forum catering to these posts is most appropriate.

Old 05-08-2007, 05:20 PM
Administrator

I think pretty much anything that you will find in the SCD big book should be allowed in the main forum. The memorabilia forum is a more appropriate place for equipment, pennants, ticket stubs, photos, programs, scorecards, et cetera.

Old 05-08-2007, 05:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Alan

Leon - Thanks for taking my suggestion !!!

Now, there's already a Network54 non-sports & a network54 vintage hockey already. It wouldn't hurt to have a vintage basketball card/memorabilia, vintage football card/memorabilia, vintage boxing card/memorabilia boards too !!!

Alan

Old 05-08-2007, 05:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: greg

This is better news than the Mercenary not coming back to Boston.

Thanks Leon, I look forward to seeing it.

Greg

Old 05-08-2007, 05:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joann

It's up.

Thanks Leon and Brian, for taking this on. I am looking forward to seeing some of the items that appear on the new board, but am also glad that the main forum will remain card-focused.

Now I just have to refrain from finding yet more cool things I want to spend my money on!

Joann

Old 05-08-2007, 06:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Corey R. Shanus

Memorabilia consists of A LOT more than "the items used by players and the baseball leagues". How about photographs, documents/letters, books/publications, scorecards/programs, artwork, advertising, sheet music?

Old 05-08-2007, 09:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: mr. moses

I once had the nickname of "Professor". I stipulate that one cannot "write flawlessly". There can be components that are treated with flawless precision such as grammer and syntax.......
as for the new section - I'm all ferret"-)

Old 05-09-2007, 05:11 AM
Administrator

And guess what Henry- it's spelled "grammar."

Old 05-09-2007, 07:29 AM
Administrator

Old 05-09-2007, 08:05 AM
Administrator

Those wouldn't work in Brooklyn...you would never find a parking space.

Old 05-09-2007, 08:23 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rich Klein

I know of an lawn not too far from you that could use some more mowing

Rich

Old 05-09-2007, 08:35 AM
Administrator

I have been to your lovely house. I think it's overkill...besides top speed is about 15 mph so not sure I-75 would work too well.....btw, what are you doing for lunch today?

Old 05-09-2007, 09:03 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ed

Thank you, Leon, for your innovation. I'm thrilled to see a memorabilia forum, though it makes my wallet nervous.

Old 05-09-2007, 09:36 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jimmy Piccuito

Leon,

thanks for making the effort, having a separate forum is good and should help with some of the past issues. I think there has been a change in interest with sports memorabilia the last few years, much like the pre-war cards back in 1999. Many of the collectors I deal with have collections in both cards and memorabilia.

Take Care

Jimmy

Old 05-09-2007, 11:18 AM
Administrator

Posted By: mr. moses

really? When not adding in foreign phrases, sometimes a simple "hook" is called four.
you da man