NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 01-31-2016, 12:11 AM
mi.ke-w0.ng

Default Wilt da Stilt gamer/Tiernan jersey info

A Quick note about legit Tiernan vs NON-LEGIT Tiernan Laker jerseys.

Legit Tiernan Laker jerseys should and always have the following:

1) top of Laker logo should be close to neckline (see pic)

2) bottom of L in Laker logo should have little to almost no spacing in regards to top of number. (see pic)

3) the tackle twill shadow should ALWAYS have indentation in regards to inner number indentation. (see pic and example)

--if you ever see a Tiernan Laker shirt lacking any of these traits (Many Magics and Kareem's) laugh and pass on them. Many these bad shirts have been featured in auctions.

compare the real Wilkes to knock off Magic.

IMO the Wilt jersey that is appearing in latest AH does not possess the traits that are characteristics of legit Tiernan game worn jerseys. Thats my opinion and there does not exist a photo in existence that would prove that any Lakers players A-Z wore a number font like that during the Tiernan era. The spacing during Wilt era could have wider gap. Also the spacing between the 1 and 3 is way to close. All Wilt pics i looked at have a much wider gap. Again my opinion and opinions have been proven to be wrong before. Take it for what its worth its your 40-70k. IMO a photomatched item deserves the honors of a A10 grade. A10 grade should mean beyond a reasonable doubt that the item is shizit and nothing below it and this example is a few light years remotely close to even the A7.5 grade. The intact Tiernan tag is somewhat troubling too. I have seen them on some game worn jerseys from this era, but only on common players who saw little to no playing time. Tiernan tags were not stitched on routinely during this era.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg am33.jpg (63.3 KB, 763 views)
File Type: jpg AM!!.jpg (7.2 KB, 767 views)
File Type: jpg ame5.jpg (30.5 KB, 764 views)
File Type: jpg ame3.jpg (54.0 KB, 762 views)
File Type: jpg ame4.JPG (66.1 KB, 766 views)
File Type: jpg ame2.JPG (47.6 KB, 769 views)
File Type: jpg ame1.jpg (42.0 KB, 770 views)
File Type: jpg am44.jpg (31.8 KB, 765 views)

Last edited by mickeymao34; 01-31-2016 at 10:16 PM. Reason: spell check and sentence bleed
Old 02-04-2016, 06:15 PM
"The Real" Ron Kosiewicz

Mick

I think you present a compelling case.

I'm not a BB guy but I for 1 am always leery of GU that comes out of nowhere.

Kind of appears that the tag on the Stilt is beat while the rest of the jersey looks pristine but then again I'm no self appointed expert so what would I know!!

I can't see spending any money on significant GU that can't be proven with a 100% photo match. If all you got as proof is a jersey to spec & sum opinion that is written in a way so that an AH doesn't have to assume any liability than I'm out.

I'm surprised that a consigner of such an "important piece" wouldn't consign with an AH whose known speciality in the industry is BB.

Maybe its just me but bidding seams rather low for such a "historic piece" don't you think?

Ron Kosiewicz
Old 02-04-2016, 06:21 PM
mi.ke-w0.ng

Good eye on tag. And you speak the truth about perfect photo identified specimen. A10=photomatch NO LESS. Only LOA I like is a positive ID Photo. Anything else is blah blah blah on paper.
Mike

Last edited by mickeymao34; 02-04-2016 at 06:23 PM.
Old 02-05-2016, 05:57 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeymao34 View Post
Good eye on tag. And you speak the truth about perfect photo identified specimen. A10=photomatch NO LESS. Only LOA I like is a positive ID Photo. Anything else is blah blah blah on paper.
Mike
There are things on the card side we look for too. For me it's big borders because there is less likeliness of them being trimmed. If I collected autographs it would be on official docs and if I collected GU it would have to all be photo matched.
Old 02-05-2016, 11:28 PM
mi.ke-w0.ng

Default photomatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
There are things on the card side we look for too. For me it's big borders because there is less likeliness of them being trimmed. If I collected autographs it would be on official docs and if I collected GU it would have to all be photo matched.
In this day of age of countless AHs where the buck comes before integrity, you would have to go with a spot on photograph as a LOA. It's my belief the AH do not care whether an item is game worn but the perception of it being game worn is all that matters. In the early days of collecting game used the chance of getting a legit game worn item was good as long as spec's were correct. Today, spec's are known by everybody and duplicated (although not with accuracy) even the common players are forged. IMO the very historical items are not going to appear in a AH. More than likely a private sale if it ever even enters market...few do. Collectors of Very vintage and historical game worn jerseys definitely need to do the research and always take that "let the buyers beware" stance. Its unfortunate but an education in this hobby is expensive and learnt the hard way.
Old 02-06-2016, 08:37 PM
mi.ke-w0.ng

approaching 34k SMH