NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-05-2002, 12:15 AM
Administrator

Default This Nichols card has always perplexed me: is it the Kid ?

Posted By: Brian H 

Way back when this card was not recognized as the great Charles "kid" Nichols (find a price guide from back several years and it is a common).
Then I recall reading a well-reasoned piece in the Vintage Collector (one the the first few issues I think) that identified this player as "Kid" Nichols and also explained that NL Fan Craze cards are 1906s and the ALs are 1904s (the author used the sets player composition and team identification to do this). Previously (again find an old price guide)all of the Fan Craze cards (both leagues) were listed as 1904 issues.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1841525992

The problem I have with this card now that I actually see it (it doesn't show up much) is that it just doesn't look to me like Kid Nichols when I compare it with the (few) other photos I have seen of him.
any comments?

* I might add (just to be clear) that the seller, David Bryan is a one of the best and I am in no way criticizing him (or PSA for that matter). I just find this card rather perplexing. There are some others in the Fan Craze set that I also find mysterious -- Jacobson for instance, who is he? I

Old 07-05-2002, 12:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Andy Baran

Brian,

I don't know if the photo is actually Nichols, but I'm sure that the card was meant to be of Kid Nichols, as he is the only Nichols on Philadelphia in 1905 - 1906.

Old 07-05-2002, 01:01 AM
Administrator

Posted By: David

It looks like Kid Nichols to me. Nichols often had a mustache which gave him a diffrent look.

Old 07-05-2002, 06:39 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Kevin Cummings

I would think that by now someone would have done some sort of analysis of the available images of Kid Nichols and laid the issue of whether the Fan Craze card was him to rest.

When I look at the Fan Craze image and the one on the Baseball Hall of Fame site, it seems it can't be him.

Old 07-05-2002, 10:17 AM
Administrator

Posted By: John(z28jd)

The picture might not be him,i dont know,but i dont who else the card was supposed to be of if its not him.Maybe its an old error card. The Jacobson in the set is Albert "Beany" Jacobson,who had the pleasure of pitching for one of the worst teams,1904 washington senators who were 38-113,and he finished 6-23,went 17-23 the rest of his career for a couple other bad teams(and one decent team)so he wasnt as bad a his record indicates..Since its a st louis card of him,that would make the printing year for that card 1906 more than likely as that was his first year with the team not 1904 as indicated on the case. He's the only guy that fits the description of the card,but does go against the general concensus of thinking all AL players are from 1904.

Old 07-05-2002, 10:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: B. Hodes

Yes it could be Beany Jacobson except that the great Beany was in the AL not the NL.

As for Nichols, certainly it is supposed to be him but it isn't his picture -- maybe like that 1969 Aureillo Rodriguez (sp?) card picturing the bat boy.

Old 07-05-2002, 01:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John(z28jd)

for jacobson,he was on st louis browns,who were in the AL.....the card says st louis,and the holder and listing on ebay both AL,so i think they meant the browns

Old 06-29-2004, 05:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: craig

there is a chance that the jacobson could be william "babydoll" jacobson. He played for the browns around that time.

Old 06-30-2004, 07:20 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rhett

Craig yo are off by a good decade, Baby Doll didn't start playing til 1915. The card is obviously Albert (because it lists his name as such). Never really understood the 1904 date because of this card. Unless the Fan Craze Co. could tell the future I believe this card dates the AL set as a 1906 issue, as opposed to the 1904 date attributed to it. Albert played fro Washington(A.L.) during the 1904 and 1905 seasons, he was picked up by St. Louis in 1906. Here's a scan of the card for reference.

Old 06-30-2004, 09:05 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

make me pick that heavy thing up so early in the morning!

Old 06-30-2004, 09:37 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

I think people KNOW they both came out in '06. Pretty soon, it'll turn out they were the first Topps sets...