NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-10-2018, 08:57 PM
Jerry.Gal.le.ano

Default New Movie: The Catcher Was a Spy

I just found out about this today. They finally made a movie about the most interesting athlete of all time, Moe Berg! He spied on the Japanese while barnstorming with the Babe and other legends. After his 15 year baseball career, he spied on the Germans.

Can't wait! Here's the trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1o3w8GsIDKk

Last edited by Jerry G; 05-10-2018 at 09:51 PM.
Old 05-10-2018, 08:58 PM
Jerry.Gal.le.ano

An awesome card in the 1933 Goudey set.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 33G Moe Berg.jpg (67.8 KB, 822 views)
Old 05-10-2018, 09:50 PM
G@ry Sƈ@m.ҽh.0ɾn

Movie title? Horrible. Movie itself? Looks very good!
Old 05-10-2018, 10:03 PM

Many years ago, I always made it a point to ask Berg's living teammates about him when visiting with them or sending out autograph requests. Nearly every player would be inspired to reply with their take on him. From my recollection, the author of the biography claimed that most of Berg's baseball colleagues were too bumpkin/jock to understand or accept him. The replies I received from those who actually knew Berg and roomed with him painted a different picture. They might not have understood the man, but were definitely in absolute awe of him!
Old 05-10-2018, 11:01 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCubsGo32 View Post
Movie title? Horrible. Movie itself? Looks very good!
They didn’t make the name up. It’s the name of the book that the screenplay was adapted from.
Old 05-10-2018, 11:38 PM
David McDonald

This pretty much is going to be a must-see for me. I like a good period piece. And how many movies about vintage baseball are there? Not too many. I have a bad feeling though by the looks of the trailer that they are going to give Berg the Hollywood makeover and get a ton of things wrong. Right off the bat I don't think Berg was much of a ladies man. After reading the book you get the impression that he radiated a certain weirdness but he was comfortably ensconced inside the bell curve in the trailer. Looks like they're wearing double-knits instead of baggy flannels too.
Old 05-11-2018, 01:32 AM
Dave Foster

It's been noted that Moe spoke seven languages, but couldn't hit in any of them.
Old 05-11-2018, 04:21 AM
Bill Gregory

I'll have to see this. It's right up my alley. Great cast, too. I'm a big fan of Paul Giamatti.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 05-11-2018, 05:12 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyCox3 View Post
Many years ago, I always made it a point to ask Berg's living teammates about him when visiting with them or sending out autograph requests. Nearly every player would be inspired to reply with their take on him. From my recollection, the author of the biography claimed that most of Berg's baseball colleagues were too bumpkin/jock to understand or accept him. The replies I received from those who actually knew Berg and roomed with him painted a different picture. They might not have understood the man, but were definitely in absolute awe of him!
Odd, my first exposure to Berg was an old paper back biography called "Athlete, Scholar, Spy" and it talked about how he was almost universally admired by his peers, especially Ruth. This had a lot to do with why such a mediocre player was invited on All-Star tours of Japan in the first place.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 05-11-2018, 06:49 AM
pete ullman

I read that book...the catcher was a spy...I really enjoyed it and I look forward to the movie!
Old 05-11-2018, 07:01 AM
Kyle May

The irony in this movie is, although tons of people who are going to see this movie don't know who Berg is, the majority have seen his work come to fruition. If you've seen Pearl Harbor, you've seen the byproduct product of one of Berg's missions.

He traveled with the MLB All Stars on their barnstorming tour in Japan. Lots of eyebrows were raised when they found out Berg, a catcher with very limited abilities on the field, was traveling with the greats of his era. He ended up slipping away and photographing Tokyo from the top of a tall building. The photos he took would later be used by Lt. Doolittle in the Doolittle Raid, the bombing response to Pearl Harbor by the US on Tokyo.

His biggest mission, or at least another major mission of his is I believe what this movie documents.

GREAT cast. Big fan of Paul Rudd, although I'm interested to see him in a serious role as most of his roles in the past have had a sarcastic humor to them (FRIENDS, Ant Man, etc.).

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame
Old 05-11-2018, 07:23 AM

I'm looking forward to this one. There are a million independent theaters in NYC so I'm sure I'll have no shortage of opportunities. Curious to see if it gets a wide release.
Old 05-11-2018, 07:42 AM

Actually just finished the book last night, was not aware of the upcoming movie until I saw this thread this morning. Looking forward to it. Berg was a very interesting guy.
Old 05-11-2018, 07:52 AM
C0nor D0na.hue

Looks like they definitely took some liberties and added some Hollywood flare, but I'm excited nonetheless, particularly for the prewar Fenway scenes!

Last edited by conor912; 05-11-2018 at 07:52 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 05-11-2018, 07:55 AM
Don Hontz

When does the movie open---Great Cast--cant wait.
Old 05-11-2018, 09:08 AM
Scott Russell

Nobody's talking about the most mind boggling part of his story. He served as a spy in Germany prior to WWII, Aiding atomic scientists in escaping the Third Reich. Why is this the most incredible part of his story? Well, start with the fact that he was Jewish and also that he basically learned atomic physics specifically for this mission because he had to be able to make decisions in the field as to who was valuable. This was a linguist learning advanced physics in a matter of weeks!
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

Old 05-11-2018, 09:30 AM

Isn't that what the movie is about?
Old 05-11-2018, 11:13 AM
Scott Russell

Seems like the thread was more focused on his surveillance work in Japan, which was cool, but a LOT less dangerous. Don't know what the focus of the movie will be.

Old 05-11-2018, 11:34 AM

There is a trailer in the first post. The movie focuses on him determining if Germany has an atomic bomb or not.
Old 05-11-2018, 11:51 AM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donscards View Post
When does the movie open---Great Cast--cant wait.
The movie will be released June 22, 2018.

Buythatcard

http://stores.ebay.com/Buythatcard
Old 05-11-2018, 02:07 PM
Jerry.Gal.le.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buythatcard View Post
The movie will be released June 22, 2018.
Thank you, Howard!
Old 05-11-2018, 03:09 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Looks like fun!

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 05-11-2018, 03:37 PM
Hank Thomas

Aviva Kempner, who made the wonderful documentary "The Life and Times of Hank Greenberg," is working on a new one about Moe Berg. I was on a panel with her Sunday and saw a good chunk of her work, and it looks terrific, including a lot of really great footage of Berg and other baseball luminaries on the Japanese tour and elsewhere.
Old 05-11-2018, 03:41 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Awesome! The book is one of my favorite baseball reads
Old 05-11-2018, 09:28 PM
Garth Guibord

I enjoyed the book and will definitely check out the movie.
Picked this up after reading the book...

IMG_0098.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-12-2018, 06:44 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

One mo' Berg

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 05-12-2018, 01:14 PM
Joshua

Cool topical podcast on moe

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/...=1000347711326
Old 05-12-2018, 03:56 PM

If you give the book a close read it seems like there are a lot of questions as to what Berg really did and what the folklore is. For example there is a story that he basically picked up a few books on the boat ride to Japan and managed to be conversational by the time the boat docked. The book however suggests that in reality Berg could only say a few common phrases in Japanese. The book also hints towards some possible mental health issues that Moe may have had. I wonder to what extent the movie will deal with the less heroic possibilities
Old 05-12-2018, 04:19 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason19th View Post
If you give the book a close read it seems like there are a lot of questions as to what Berg really did and what the folklore is. For example there is a story that he basically picked up a few books on the boat ride to Japan and managed to be conversational by the time the boat docked. The book however suggests that in reality Berg could only say a few common phrases in Japanese. The book also hints towards some possible mental health issues that Moe may have had. I wonder to what extent the movie will deal with the less heroic possibilities
Yes, you said it. I read the book a couple of months ago and it painted a picture of a (very?) intelligent guy, but most, if not all, of the spy stuff seemed anecdotal at best. Over and over again the author asserted that no one really knew what he was up to at any given time, so I came to the conclusion that his spycraft was possibly more incidental than anything else. Perhaps I am 'misremembering,' but when he made films of Tokyo during the baseball tour there, for instance, he wasn't sent to do that, right? Wasn't it years later, after Pearl Harbor, when he said something to the effect of, "Wait, I have some films from years ago showing the landscape of Tokyo that our guys might be able to use."???

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 05-12-2018, 04:21 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason19th View Post
Agreed. Never underestimate the powerful ambiguity of the term "based on a true story". People hear that and cling on to it, which is why history remembers a lot of things in a skewed way thanks to Hollywood.

Last edited by conor912; 05-12-2018 at 04:23 PM.
Old 05-12-2018, 04:28 PM
Scott Russell

Athlete, Scholar, Spy definitely deals with his mental health issues, especially later in life. Don't know if it's in print anymore.

Old 05-12-2018, 05:06 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
Yes, you said it. I read the book a couple of months ago and it painted a picture of a (very?) intelligent guy, but most, if not all, of the spy stuff seemed anecdotal at best. Over and over again the author asserted that no one really knew what he was up to at any given time, so I came to the conclusion that his spycraft was possibly more incidental than anything else. Perhaps I am 'misremembering,' but when he made films of Tokyo during the baseball tour there, for instance, he wasn't sent to do that, right? Wasn't it years later, after Pearl Harbor, when he said something to the effect of, "Wait, I have some films from years ago showing the landscape of Tokyo that our guys might be able to use."???
The Tourist Was A Spy

History majors who use cinema as source material for their theses are _________.

To describe Berg as enigmatic is perhaps an understatement based on the book.

Will his portrayal in the film be accurate? Hardly, but most who see the film will not have read the book or care.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 07-25-2018, 11:30 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Got around to seeing this the other day. I thought the sets, imagery, and cinematography were very well done. In the end, though, I couldn't help but think that Berg's story just wasn't quite compelling enough to make a Hollywood movie out of.

I also wish there were more baseball scenes. Other than the Fenway clip, which they showed in the preview, there's a clip from the Japanese tour and that's it. I know the story is about his service and not his career as a player, but I think they could have easily worked some more playing scenes for the baseball fans this was meant to appeal to, especially since it barely ran 90 minutes.
Old 07-26-2018, 07:04 AM
Kyle May

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor912 View Post
Got around to seeing this the other day. I thought the sets, imagery, and cinematography were very well done. In the end, though, I couldn't help but think that Berg's story just wasn't quite compelling enough to make a Hollywood movie out of.

I also wish there were more baseball scenes. Other than the Fenway clip, which they showed in the preview, there's a clip from the Japanese tour and that's it. I know the story is about his service and not his career as a player, but I think they could have easily worked some more playing scenes for the baseball fans this was meant to appeal to, especially since it barely ran 90 minutes.
Haven't seen it yet, but I'm excited to.

I need to bring attention to the bold. You mean it's possible to make a movie that doesn't kill 1/4 of my day? Between Jurassic World, Star Wars, etc., I don't know if I can handle another 2+ hour movie. This is refreshing news.

- Hall of Famers

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

Old 07-26-2018, 08:55 AM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMayUSA6060 View Post
Haven't seen it yet, but I'm excited to.

I need to bring attention to the bold. You mean it's possible to make a movie that doesn't kill 1/4 of my day? Between Jurassic World, Star Wars, etc., I don't know if I can handle another 2+ hour movie. This is refreshing news.
Haha. My point was that they had space to throw in a few more minutes of playing scenes but I totally hear you.
Old 07-26-2018, 09:21 AM
Kyle May

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor912 View Post
Haha. My point was that they had space to throw in a few more minutes of playing scenes but I totally hear you.
Oh yeah, I understood what you were saying. Without seeing it, I would still probably agree (from the sounds of it) that they should have thrown in more baseball scenes.

I'm just happy to see a movie be reasonable with its length.

- Hall of Famers

- Grover Hartley PC

- Jim Thome PC

Old 07-26-2018, 10:04 AM

I saw this over the weekend at IFC. I thought that the movie was well made and they were able to make some creative decisions to elicit some kind of tension and suspense. I really hated the ending though. I thought they'd built up to this interesting moment that was full of indecision and internal conflict that deflated waaaaaaaay too quickly.

Rudd was a real surprise. I don't think he captured the inner secrecy of Berg quite as well as he could have, but it was nice to see him play something other than a dude-bro who smiles a lot.
Old 07-26-2018, 09:05 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Just saw it and as others have said, the movie itself was shot very well...but, man, there were quite a few things that bugged me. Here are a quick few...

First, the baseball game was supposed to be taking place in 1936, right? The Fenway they showed had perfectly manicured grass, just ridiculously so. Did the filmmakers do any research? Maybe check out what fields looked like back then? It was so obvious the movie was filmed in 2017 or 2018, and it immediately took me right out of suspending my disbelief. And this game was shown in the first couple of minutes in the film. They should've used some of that Hollywood magic to roughen the field/baselines up a bit to make it look at least somewhat realistic. It just goes to the legitimacy (or lack thereof) of the movie.

Secondly, they show a player during the Japan scenes who was obviously supposed to be Babe Ruth. Sure, the face was passable as him, but this guy was what, 5'5" at most??? Come on. The Bambino was 6'2". A towering sorta dude, not a short, fat schlub. Everyone on the team was taller than him. And this isn't nitpicking. It jumps right out at you.

Lastly, as Packs said, the basic portrayal of Berg's nature was way, way, way off. The book isn't an autobiography, of course, but in reading it you really get the feeling that he was a very aloof guy who seemingly always preferred to be alone with his nose in a newspaper. A real enigma, and a completely secretive sort of guy. I didn't for one second believe Rudd was the guy I read about in the book. He was gregarious as all hell, very outgoing, and I don't think they showed him reading a single newspaper. They even had Rudd state something to the effect of, "I don't fit in anywhere." I screamed at my screen, "Are you watching the same movie as me???!!! You are fitting in EVERYWHERE!!!"

And I won't even mention Heisenberg's ridiculous hairpiece.

Overall, this movie was the CliffsNotes version of the CliffsNotes version of the CliffsNotes version of the novel.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 07-26-2018, 10:01 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Moe Berg graduated from Princeton Univ. in 1923. I once asked my wife, who works at Princeton Univ.,
to look up the Alumni listing for any information on Morris Berg. She could not find anything on him.
Did they remove his records since he was a secret spy ? ?

Anyhow, I highly recommend reading his SABR bio...... http://sabr.org/bioproj/person/e1e65b3b

I will check-out this movie.

TED Z
T206 Reference
Old 07-27-2018, 05:12 AM
Scott Russell

I recently sold a Princeton Yearbook in which Berg appeared multiple times.

Old 01-08-2019, 11:28 AM
Chris Wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
I recently sold a Princeton Yearbook in which Berg appeared multiple times.
Movie is out on Netflix.
Old 01-08-2019, 12:20 PM
Randy Trierweiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseball tourist View Post
Movie is out on Netflix.
Hey Chris, I went to search for it on Netflix, couldn't find it. It is on Amazon Prime however. Randy
Old 01-08-2019, 12:58 PM
Chris Wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalcollector View Post
Hey Chris, I went to search for it on Netflix, couldn't find it. It is on Amazon Prime however. Randy
Weird. Just watched it...must be Canada only?
Old 01-08-2019, 04:07 PM
$cott Cl1nt0n

Quote:
Weird. Just watched it...must be Canada only?
Just watched it? What did you think?
Old 01-08-2019, 04:24 PM
Chris Wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arazi4442 View Post
Just watched it? What did you think?
It was visually very well shot. I like Rudd and any movie with a spy theme, WWII and baseball can’t be that bad. Hadn’t read the book and knew very little about Berg prior - all in all, it was a pleasant watch.

Last edited by baseball tourist; 01-08-2019 at 05:11 PM.
Old 01-08-2019, 04:27 PM
Chris Wood

Canada only?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8004654B-7527-4256-A8A4-3ED6B5272EB7.jpg (7.3 KB, 156 views)
Old 01-09-2019, 09:31 AM
Randy Trierweiler

I don't know why Netflix would be different in Canada from the US, but I looked for it yesterday and today to no avail. I'm going to rent it from Redbox tomorrow.
Old 01-09-2019, 11:51 AM
Chris Wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalcollector View Post
I don't know why Netflix would be different in Canada from the US, but I looked for it yesterday and today to no avail. I'm going to rent it from Redbox tomorrow.
Netflix has very different offerings between the two countries as I understand but typically it’s their US list of shows that has more choice than up here.
Old 01-09-2019, 12:22 PM

Netflix is different in every country. There are restrictions on the rights to titles and where the rights apply.
Old 01-09-2019, 12:28 PM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Quote:
Movie is out on Netflix.
A nice surprise when I came across it at my local library over a month ago (DVD).