NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 06-29-2013, 08:43 PM
Brock

Default Anyone Familiar With This "Ruth-esque" Figural?

Initially thought it was broken off a trophy or something but after getting it in hand it feels much too heavy and appears to be solid bronze. Also nowhere on the bottom of the cleats that shows it was ever attached or detached to anything. Bat is missing, but again, no damage to the hand area that shows there was ever even a bat.
The figure definitely appears to be molded after a young Ruth. See the photo of Ruth on the cover of the sheet music from 1919 in the same pose.
So if anybody has seen this figure on a trophy or a statue or any other information it would be appreciated.
Thanks fellas.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BabeRuthSheetMusic.jpg (76.1 KB, 323 views)
File Type: jpg 004 (438x640) (438x640).jpg (27.6 KB, 204 views)
File Type: jpg 005 (640x589).jpg (27.8 KB, 204 views)
File Type: jpg 008 (640x480) (2).jpg (34.2 KB, 204 views)
File Type: jpg 013 (640x637).jpg (41.6 KB, 204 views)

Last edited by BrockJacob; 07-01-2013 at 06:28 AM.
Old 06-30-2013, 03:35 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Brock:

The closest I could find is this Batter Figural Trophy (which may or may not be produced from the same mold as yours). At first, I thought the two were different, as the head appears to be looking up more on mine.

But it could just be the difference of the angles from which they were shot.... sort of a parallax view. I have two... a large and a small trophy. The large version is close to Spalding size, and the small one is the size of yours.

Sorry the pics are not more close-up. But if you look at the hand positioning (left palm down/right palm up) and the feet position (right foot up/left foot back and down, with the weight on the toe), it seems to be a potential match. Plus, the right leg is bent, and the left leg is extended back and straight. Also, the diagonal creases on the front of jersey are very similar.

If they are indeed the same, then the bat handle would have been in his left hand, and the bat barrel attached to his right shoe. Perhaps it's just a case of "close but no cigar", but thought I would post these, just to give you a frame of reference.

Hope this is somewhat helpful,
Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pre-war Pics 015.jpg (71.2 KB, 261 views)
File Type: jpg Pre-war Pics 005.jpg (71.7 KB, 260 views)
Old 06-30-2013, 03:43 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

In looking again, I can see these are different. Yours is probably modeled after Ruth, and mine are probably generic. Close but no cigar...

Nice piece.... good luck in researching this
Old 06-30-2013, 05:04 PM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

Mark,

LOVE the Darktown Battery bank, I've always wanted one of those!!

Greg
Old 06-30-2013, 06:31 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnaz01 View Post
Mark,

LOVE the Darktown Battery bank, I've always wanted one of those!!

Greg
Thanks Greg...

Well, fortunately these do turn up with some frquency, and seem to have come down a little bit in price lately. They are indeed cool, and must have been very well made... most of the surviving originals still seem to be fully functional.

Happy Collecting
Old 07-01-2013, 06:30 AM
Brock

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Thanks Greg...

Well, fortunately these do turn up with some frquency, and seem to have come down a little bit in price lately. They are indeed cool, and must have been very well made... most of the surviving originals still seem to be fully functional.

Happy Collecting
Hey hey hey!!! Focus fellas, focus.

Updated the original post with better pictures.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:51 AM
Jim Murphy

is it about 13 inches high?
Old 07-01-2013, 08:03 AM
Brock

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphusa View Post
is it about 13 inches high?
No it's much smaller. A little under 6 inches.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrockJacob View Post
Initially thought it was broken off a trophy or something but after getting it in hand it feels much too heavy and appears to be solid bronze. Also nowhere on the bottom of the cleats that shows it was ever attached or detached to anything. Bat is missing, but again, no damage to the hand area that shows there was ever even a bat.
The figure definitely appears to be molded after a young Ruth. See the photo of Ruth on the cover of the sheet music from 1919 in the same pose.
So if anybody has seen this figure on a trophy or a statue or any other information it would be appreciated.
Thanks fellas.
Tell ya what...that's a pretty interesting little figural...first of all I don't recall ever seeing one before...and based on the photos it appears bronze....and that would be a game changer...Now our boy Mark Steinberg might pull one out of his hat but I can't think of a single period statue of Ruth...I mean produced when he was in his prime...or even alive...

Based on what I see by the photos I don't think that's a trophy top...It appears to be a statue of Ruth missing the base (and bat)...as for art quality...in my subjective opinion it's not fantastic...but not to bad...the movement...that is the action of the figure is ok not great, sort of trophy art quality...and it appears the person who sculpted it copied that photo of Ruth...Initially I thought the face is shaky as far as a depiction of Ruth but on second thought I think it's alright as the sculptor worked in an impressionistic style...I can't see the lines in the socks too well to know the quality of the definition but seems ok from what I can see...great patina...that is the finish and color...pretty much everything you'd ever want in a patina...overall...I'd say it's a real nice piece..The only thing is you say it appears to have never been mounted...that's the most puzzling thing about it...but it's not the first time I've seen that in a figural...I'm writing this as I wake up having my first coffee so can disavow any of it latter : -)

Old 07-02-2013, 09:09 AM
Brock

Thanks for chiming in with your thoughts Carlton. It's definitely had be scratching my head the last couple of days. The minute I saw it I instantly connected it to the image of Ruth on the cover of the sheet music. And I just have this nagging suspicion that I've seen this form somewhere before. It was just too familiar when I saw it. It's driving me crazy.
If anybody can scan through the Halper auction catalog to see if they can spot this figure it would be appreciated. I have the catalog but it's currently boxed up with a bunch of other books and stuff. That auction had an enormous amount of Ruth items. Would be a good place to start a search.
Thanks fellas.
Old 07-14-2013, 05:03 AM
Brock

For anybody who was interested/cared, this same Ruth figure was on the "Davega Trophy" presented to Babe in 1921 by the sporting goods company. The trophy is now in the HOF.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 82538a_lg (552x705).jpg (75.1 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg The%20Babe%20gets%20a%20trophy%20from%20Davega (800x577).jpg (56.9 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg 7988A2337 (800x534).jpg (77.0 KB, 81 views)

Last edited by BrockJacob; 07-14-2013 at 09:49 AM.
Old 07-14-2013, 07:14 AM
Bill Boyd

Brock,
Great gesture on your part. You should feel very proud. Being able to contribute to the HOF and especially a Ruth artifact, yes, feel very proud. Good job.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:55 AM
Brock

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyb View Post
Brock,
Great gesture on your part. You should feel very proud. Being able to contribute to the HOF and especially a Ruth artifact, yes, feel very proud. Good job.
Slight misunderstanding there. The trophy Ruth was given is on display in the HOF. The little figure I have, which is sitting next to my desk on a pile of junk mail, just matches the figural from the trophy. Your version is definitely cooler though, so if everybody just wants to run with that story then please proceed....
Old 07-14-2013, 12:56 PM
Bill Boyd

Brock,
Sorry for the misunderstanding, I do like my versions though.