NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 06-24-2013, 08:42 PM
Ron V

Default Poster Restoration

Has anybody ever had a poster or any type of paper restored. If so where did you go to get it done? and how much do places charge? Any information will greatly appreciated.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:16 PM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default one would hopefully go

to a paper conservator. Conservation as opposed to restoration allows that the item can be brought back to the state it was in before repairs were made. We are only temporary keepers of all this stuff - I prefer to leave things for the next guy in the same condition I got it in :-) Conservation IS expensive in general - depends how much "conservation" one wants done - the amount of damage and - how close to the item you want to stand without seeing that damage? I've had work done here in Florida and in the past by someone Bill Mastro recommended to me in the mid 1990's - Chicago Conservation Company. I negotiated a bit as I sent 3/4 pieces and was flexible as to a time frame and I think they did a superior job. I've only conserved/restored 5/6 items that would be either aesthetically unpleasing or degrade without intervention. The occasional minor bumps and tears are part of the items life - I don't want to look at something old that looks like it's new quite frankly so I leave much of what I buy the way it is. I'm no longer willing to buy sumptin dat doesn't display well and I would have trouble looking at unless it's REALLY rare - as the expense and the decisions about how far to go and the insurance and the shipping- well it gets a bit much. Whatever you do I think the most long term enjoyment is derived from any hobby by patience and forethought about ones actions whether it's the care, purchase, display or storage of these silly things we tend to fall in love with...........
Old 06-25-2013, 08:36 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

What 1880snonsports said is all true. As opposed to cards, posters, photos and some other ephemera can actually have their value enhanced with conservation and/or restoration. I too am a minimalist in this area and try to keep my items as close to original as possible. I know the quite expensive Horner Composite photo I have has had conservation and a tiny, tiny bit of restoration work done to it. I am fine with it. I have the paper saying what was done and it was mostly cleaning and deacidifying the paper (I believe, it was done before I got it)... Here is the company that did it. They are good, many auction houses and collectors use them, but they aren't cheap...

http://graphicconservation.com/

Good luck!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hornercomposite.jpg (73.1 KB, 271 views)
Old 06-25-2013, 08:46 AM
octavio ranzola

great peice mr.leon
Old 06-25-2013, 05:51 PM
R@nda!! H@hn

I used this place for an old autographed photo.
http://www.ccaha.org/
Here are some pics, the first shows it during restoration and the second was after. The picture had no corners, missing layers and was torn in half when I bought it. But the signatures of the Four Horsemen were real. I paid about $900 to get it looking decent.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4horseb4.jpg (64.5 KB, 229 views)
File Type: jpg 4horseafter.jpg (62.6 KB, 230 views)

Baseball's hard. You can love it but it doesn't always love you back. It's like dating a German chick...
Billy Bob Thornton-Bad News Bears
Old 06-25-2013, 08:51 PM
Ron V

Wow! They are some great looking pieces. Thank you guys for all of the helpful information. I will be posting a few pictures of the poster I want to get restored. It's a vintage advertisement for Atlantic oil, it promotes spring training and has a baseball player jumping in the air. It's a pretty cool piece.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:19 AM
CoreyRS.hanus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
...As opposed to cards, posters, photos and some other ephemera can actually have their value enhanced with conservation and/or restoration...
For posters and lithographic prints in particular, it has been my experience that even extensive restoration (i.e., the recoloring of significant portions of the print, going well beyond the background) has served to significantly enhance the value of the piece. While I personally limit my acquisitions to pieces that require only minimal restoration (repairs of minor tears and minor recoloring limited to background only), it seems the market looks at it differently. If the end result of the restoration materially increases the item's aesthetic appearance, the increase in market value is significant. As has been noted, such restoration can be pricey (in the low 4 figures), but given the impact on value, it can be a financially prudent undertaking.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:01 PM
Fra.nk Rein.stein

I have used these guys before to restore movie posters-they are truly top notch and offer a more-than reasonable price:

http://www.atstudioc.com/
Old 06-28-2013, 06:39 PM
George

Wow, those are great pieces! I agree with many of the comments here and I rarely purchase an item if I don't think it can be cleaned up a little bit to make it displayable.

The first item below cannot be restored (at least that's what I was told) so I recreated my own version and plan to eventually place both in a double side framed.

The second item benefited greatly from conservation and it was cleaned and deacidified. I had it done by a local conservator here in Atlanta. The edges are still tattered (doesn't show up in the second picture) but I was able to cover it up when I got it matted/framed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg baltimore composite collage.jpg (73.8 KB, 133 views)
File Type: jpg hastings composite.jpg (82.2 KB, 133 views)
Old 06-28-2013, 06:49 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Not an old piece, but I bought a Taxi Driver original full sheet movie poster which was linen backed. Again, it seems to have enhanced the value after I looked into it

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 06-29-2013, 07:21 AM
Barry Sloate

There is another thing to consider regarding poster restoration: if the paper is brittle, and likely to crack and chip, it would serve you well to have at least some work done, such as deacidification. The conservator can spray it with a solution that will make the paper more supple and less likely to deteriorate. Yes, we are only temporary keepers of these antiquities, but if you want them to last for others to enjoy, then it is important to stop their natural disintegration. If you think the piece has serious problems, it doesn't hurt to have an expert look at it. But as has been mentioned, it can be pretty expensive. In the end you have to make a judgment call.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:39 PM
Jonathan Sterling

I recently used a guy named Dario C from vancouver canada to put together a Louisville slugger poster of 12 players from around 1940.The Poster had been cut into 12 pices so was going to need alot of work. I looked into guys that did Movie poster restoration and he was near the top of list, I liked his work that he posted on his site. And his hourly rate was half what is competitors were. I was scared because as I researched I read some real horror stories of shoddy work or folks keeping valuable posters after work was done. But Dario had a great reputation and was cool to work with and in the end did a great job on the poster. He quoted me $400 for eight hours work and I know he put in close to 13 when all was done and he did not ask for any more Money he was just happy to do a great job!!! Not sure of the posters value but I love it. I only have a digital camera no scanner or I would post a picture.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:48 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfanNY View Post
I recently used a guy named Dario C from vancouver canada to put together a Louisville slugger poster of 12 players from around 1940.The Poster had been cut into 12 pices so was going to need alot of work. I looked into guys that did Movie poster restoration and he was near the top of list, I liked his work that he posted on his site. And his hourly rate was half what is competitors were. I was scared because as I researched I read some real horror stories of shoddy work or folks keeping valuable posters after work was done. But Dario had a great reputation and was cool to work with and in the end did a great job on the poster. He quoted me $400 for eight hours work and I know he put in close to 13 when all was done and he did not ask for any more Money he was just happy to do a great job!!! Not sure of the posters value but I love it. I only have a digital camera no scanner or I would post a picture.
Pictures can easily be posted from digital cameras. They usually have to be resized a little bit downward. I can post them for you if you ever want too.....Sounds like the guy that did your work did a bang up job.