NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-18-2011, 12:04 PM

Default An ebay question for collectors

I recently put on some cards for auction on ebay and when I checked the completed listings in the category, noticed a huge amount of "card dumping" by dealers with BINs. I was just wondering 1) do collectors use the "auctions only" feature to bypass these monthly or even bi-monthly listings of dealer inventory and 2) does anyone else get frustrated when someone like Mike Wheat Cards lists the same cards with the same overblown BINs over and over again?
Just wondering. Thanks.
tbob
Old 05-18-2011, 12:37 PM
pete ullman

I usually use the auctions only option when searching...and yes...it is quite annoying to see these virtual museums on ebay...for me. I could see it as a resource for some who may never have seen some of these cards.
Old 05-18-2011, 12:45 PM
Dan McCarthy

I use the auctions only search 100% of the time!
Old 05-18-2011, 12:51 PM
Tim Sanders

Default Depends on how I am looking

If I am just scanning I limit it to the auctions. However, I usually set double searches when looking for a particular card or player - one for auction items and one for BIN's- that way I can see if any new BIN gems come in.

Last edited by T2069bk; 05-18-2011 at 12:51 PM.
Old 05-18-2011, 12:51 PM
Rob Miller

I search using both BIN and Auctions and sort by "Newly Listed". I would hate to only search through auctions when there could be a great BIN listed. I have been able to pick up a couple BIN items at great prices (at least I think so) in the last month.
Old 05-18-2011, 12:57 PM
Paul

Default AUC v. BIN

I think you have to look at both ends of the equation -- if you want something, you'll do searches in both worlds. I do agree, however, that if I am casually looking to pick up something, I'll often flip it to just a straight auction format.

However, I second the notion that good deals can be had via BIN on ebay, though it is somewhat rare. Just today, I picked up this beauty for what I thought was a solid price:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bemis.jpg (49.5 KB, 313 views)

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 05-18-2011, 01:06 PM
Tim Sanders

Default What I find More annoying is..

not Mike Wheat or Joes Vintage or others posting a lot of BINs (In full disclosure I have bought numerous items from both and with great results and at great prices!!!)but sorting through the graded 50's-70's and reprints!!!!! Those are the real grind!!!!!
Old 05-18-2011, 01:39 PM
David Str@@te

Auctions only for this guy. No time to wade through all the 40K Goudey Ruths in PSA 4
Old 05-18-2011, 02:18 PM
Travis W.

I get tired of all the reprints too but I find that if I just do a search and in the search description type -reprint at the end it works pretty good. Doing that will have the search results eliminate anything that has the word reprint in the title. Obviously this only works if they PUT reprint in the title, but it still helps!

Can work for anything else too...

As far as the BIN vs. Auction thing, I search both because a lot of times I can find stuff with BIN OBO and a lot of sellers (not all) are pretty good about taking reasonable offers on stuff so both people go home happy.
Old 05-18-2011, 02:26 PM
Todd C

auctions only...unless I am looking for something specific, and will sometimes filter with price range.
Old 05-18-2011, 02:32 PM
Jeff

Auctions Only for me for my daily perusal.
Maybe once or twice a week will I go the full route just to see if anything new pops up, rarely does usually just roll over of the same overpriced inventory that ebay encourages in order to keep their listing numbers high.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 05-18-2011, 08:20 PM
Drew Ekb@ck

I usually look through both auction and BIN at first but then lean toward the auction. However, I always ask a BIN dealer first if the price listed is the best they can do even if they don't have the OBO option. I would say over 75% of the time sellers will come down off of the BIN price. Sometimes a tiny bit, sometimes more but it never hurts to just ask.
Drew
Old 05-18-2011, 08:47 PM
Bill Cauley

When on ebay, I initially do a quick scan of all to see the number available. I then look at the auctions and decide if I want any of those. I might then look for a BIN though it is not often that I go this route and prefer to either watch the B/S/T on here, check the dealers on the vintage links above, or just wait for an auction to pop up.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:40 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostdone View Post
I usually look through both auction and BIN at first but then lean toward the auction. However, I always ask a BIN dealer first if the price listed is the best they can do even if they don't have the OBO option. I would say over 75% of the time sellers will come down off of the BIN price. Sometimes a tiny bit, sometimes more but it never hurts to just ask.
Drew
I've had good luck with this method also.

Larry
Old 05-18-2011, 10:09 PM
Dave
Da.ve Kra.bal

the first thing I do after a search is hit the auctions only tab !! it immediately filters out most of the overpriced BIN's that have been on Ebay since 2004 in some cases
Old 05-19-2011, 05:35 AM

I hit the auctions only tab as well, to filter out all the overpriced BIN's.

I've got several items on my watch list that are way overpriced, and have been on my watch list for a year.

Every 3-4 months I make an offer of 75% BIN and it always gets auto rejected.

So, I guess I'll just wait for inflation to kick in, and in a couple more years those BIN's will be priced about right.