NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 08-12-2011, 10:40 AM
Marc Powers

Default Ruth Autographed Baseball Help!!

This ball is on Craigslist in my area. The person says that it has a Letter of Authenticity from PSA/DNA. The Auto. is on a Gopher Baseball. What do you all think about the Autograph and the type of ball? Thanks for your help Guys!! Have a Good Weekend!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ruth -1.jpg (55.5 KB, 293 views)
File Type: jpg ball.jpg (48.2 KB, 290 views)

Last edited by pow323; 08-12-2011 at 10:46 AM.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:44 AM
Jon Canfield

Dont ever buy off of Craigs List. Even with a PSA/DNA cert, it may be a scam / robbery ploy.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:01 AM
Dave Millhouse
Banned

There is nothing wrong with buying off of Craig's List, as I have done it many times.

Get the COA cert number and verify online first, then meet the seller in person at a public place. Just know what you are looking at before you go.

Look for the watermark on the COA, the sticker on the ball or the letter, and ask to copy the seller's driver's license information. Also get a signed bill of sale with seller's info on it.

The autograph shown looks authentic.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:09 AM

That same ball was just on ebay and was pulled about 4 hours from when it was suppose to end. The bidding was a little over 8K when the listing ended early. The seller may have took a deal outside of ebay. The ball was located in florida and everything seemed legit.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:27 AM
Jon Canfield

If I had a $10k ball to sell, why would I sell it through a forum like Craigslist that is fraught with scams? Makes no sense to me.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:30 AM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by canjond View Post
If I had a $10k ball to sell, why would I sell it through a forum like Craigslist that is fraught with scams? Makes no sense to me.
I was thinking the same thing, Jon, but maybe the seller wants cash and is willing to take less for a cash transaction.

Personally, I don't go near Craigslist.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:43 AM

One quick note is that JSA and PSA/DNA LOAs have the company watermarks in the paper. Hold it up to the light. Copies and I assume most to all LOA forgeries would not.

Added note: This includes for those auction LOAs. Always easy to tell if you have the original or a copy.

Last edited by drc; 08-12-2011 at 11:45 AM.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:55 PM
Marc Powers

Default Ruth Ball

Thanks to all who responed about this Ruth Ball. All you guys are GREAT!!
Old 08-13-2011, 07:41 AM

What did you decide or find out?
Old 08-13-2011, 09:06 AM
Marc Powers

Default Ruth

I have not really done anything yet. I was going to find out how much he wanted for it. Is anyone out there interested in this Ball ? Let me know what you think. Marc
Old 08-13-2011, 09:35 AM
Richard Simon

Craigslist is a goldmine for every scammer in the country.
It is a treacherous minefield.
If I were you I would just walk away.
People have been killed due to craigslist scams.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 08-13-2011 at 09:35 AM.
Old 08-20-2011, 02:11 PM
Marc Powers

Default Ruth Auto. Ball

I just talked with the person that has the Babe Ruth Autographed Baseball. He has had the ball so he says since 2001. He gave me the Cert. Number from PSA/DNA. The number is B28435. Is there anyone that could help me with this number? and also what would be a good offer for the ball? Do you think the Ball is ok? He also said that the ball was a game used ball. It was used in a exhibition game from the early 1940`s. Please let me know if anyone could help me with this? Thanks, Marc
Old 08-20-2011, 03:30 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

You can look up the cert. here:

http://www.psacard.com/verification/verify.chtml

Also, if you do a google search for that cert. number and "babe ruth" you get the following cached webpage:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...www.google.com

The eBay listing is no longer viewable, but this page which re-presented the eBay content on its own site is still there (clicking on Buy It Now takes you to the defunct eBay page). Unfortunately none of the photos are viewable, so I can't be sure if it's the same ball, or just the same cert. number.

I like how the seller refers to him as "The Big Gambino"
Old 08-20-2011, 06:21 PM
Marc Powers

Default Ruth Ball

Lance, Thanks for the Info. Can anyone tell me if you think the autograph is real? Also is anyone interested in this at all? If so I can put you intouch with the person that has it. Or can someone give me a good offer price to offer for the ball? Thanks again Guys! Marc
Old 08-20-2011, 08:51 PM
Chris

Default fishy...

I was recently contacted by someone who claims to now own this same ball...he's had it about 6 months.

And, I don't believe it is the same person who you have been talking with Marc...unless he is going under two different names

With that said, I've handled a lot of Ruth's and feel pretty good about identifying his auto - this one just looks a little off to me. Perhaps David or Richard might chime in here as well...
Old 08-20-2011, 09:53 PM
Chris

interesting...

http://www2.tbo.com/news/breaking-ne...d-b-ar-251553/