NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 04-29-2011, 02:56 PM
Scott H.

Default Mortality and value

Let me preface this post with a note that I do not wish death on any of the players whose memorabilia I posses

How much does the death of a well known Hall of Famer typically affect the value of his memorabilia? For instance, if Hank Aaron passed away tomorrow God forbid, what do you think would happen to the value of signed items or cards from him? I know they would go up, but typically by how much? How long would the increase last? etc.

Last edited by MilBraves; 04-29-2011 at 03:05 PM.
Old 04-29-2011, 03:27 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

It depends largely on how prolific a signer the person in question was...

In the case of Aaron, Mays, Musial, Berra (or someone like that) prices would rise about 25 - 30% for a short while, and a flood of autos would hit ebay in the subsequent days after the player's passing. Unfortunately, dozens of dealers/collectors would attempt to capitalize on the player's death.

After about a month, prices would come back down, and settle in perhaps 10 - 15% higher than before. If the player in question was NOT a prolific signer (which does not apply to many HOFers these days), then the prices might settle in higher.

This has been my experience, and has applied to recently deceased players like Williams, DiMaggio, Mathews, Reese, Rizzuto, Spahn, Wilhelm, etc. It applies to top-tier HOFers as well as marginal ones. Mantle has gone up by a greater percentage, but there's a "stigma" attached to him (which does not apply to many others).

Eager to hear what others say, and hope this is helpful...
Old 04-29-2011, 07:37 PM
Alan Simpson

Would it be correct to think that how long a player has been deceased would also impact the longer term market value? Even if someone was a prolific signer, after the initial surge and fallback in value, wouldn't the value then increase continue to increase over time as we get further away from the time when they last signed?
Old 04-29-2011, 08:29 PM

Koufax autographs would go thru the roof because he is not a prolific signer.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:26 PM

Default Koufax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewish-collector View Post
Koufax autographs would go thru the roof because he is not a prolific signer.
Alan,
Do you really believe that Koufax's autograph price would "go through the roof" from his current asking price of over $500 for a flat? YIKES!!

IMHO he's already priced himself out of the mind's eye of most collectors in the hobby....

I will admit that the value of some of his earlier vintage signatures may somewhat increase in value, but these don't currently sell for anywhere near Koufax's "asking price". I actually have 4 items that I would love to get signed by Koufax, but I find $500 a sig absolutely repulsive, so I will live without them. I remember getting Koufax's autograph as recently as the late 1990's at the National Sportscard Convention in Cleveland for $50 and he added an inscription that I requested for FREE!!

Times have certainly changed.....

Last edited by Scott Garner; 04-30-2011 at 03:46 PM.