NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 04-21-2011, 09:00 AM
chris

Default early baseball cufflinks / pins - kemp bros.

has anyone ever seen seen these before? approximate value???

players pictued include: Johnny Evers, Christy Mathewson, Grover Lowdermilk, Sam Crawford, Cy Young, and Ty Cobb. circa 1915...

thanks,

chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg baseball pins.jpg (57.8 KB, 308 views)
Old 04-21-2011, 09:32 AM
Dan McCarthy

Never seen those before, they are really neat! It looks like they use the same poses as T206s -- I'm not sure where you got the players in your post from, but they appear to picture Conroy, Ferguson(?), Mullin, Pelty, Ball, and Evers (left to right). Especially where they are the T206 poses I'd be surprised to find a Lowdermilk in there. Hope this helps a little, at least.

Last edited by collectbaseball; 04-21-2011 at 09:33 AM.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:22 AM
Dynarl Broughman

I believe the second one from left is Bell, Brooklyn
Old 04-21-2011, 05:19 PM
J@son M1ller

maybe they are dress buttons? SInce there are 6 of them, seems like it would be for a dress shirt maybe. I know when i wear a tuxedo there are 6 black buttons that you put on the front of the shirt. I would think this would make more sense than cufflinks?

Either way, they are fantastic!
Old 04-22-2011, 10:06 AM
Joe Jesselli

Jaybird is correct...they are studs for a dress shirt. And they are extraordinary.

As for value, it would depend on their composition, namely: are they gold. The other elements--porcelain, enamel, matter to a lesser degree. They are complete, in a wonderful box, and--in my opinion--are on par with the Stevengraph "The First Innings" as a top-shelf British-made baseball collectible.

I would be very surprised if "ballist68" hasn't received correspondence from some the buyer/seller net54 habitues.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:52 PM
Paul

Default Dress shirt Buttons

They look to be celluloid with hand tinting? Are they brass, gold plated, gold filled? The one on the far right has a silver metal showing at one end. Since the composition is not known I would give a wide pricerange of 600- 2,500 dollars. I have never seen these before in 25+ years of sports auctions, shows, ect.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:20 PM
Dan Bretta

They sold for $1200. Did you happen to win them Chris?
Old 04-23-2011, 10:14 PM
Dan McCarthy

Where were they for sale? The Heritage auction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
They sold for $1200. Did you happen to win them Chris?
Old 04-23-2011, 10:55 PM
Jim Murphy

What did the spading trophy go for?.

They were in the Morphy auction central Pennsylvania

Last edited by murphusa; 04-23-2011 at 10:56 PM.
Old 04-24-2011, 06:58 AM
chris

Default early cufflinks

Thanks for everyone's interest and contributions. I did not win the auction but I'm curious to know if anyone here did???

Chris
Old 04-24-2011, 07:13 AM

The Spalding trophy went for either 1600 or 1700.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:08 AM
Peter F

Default I won them!

And I was very excited to get them for all the reasons some of you mentioned; unique, complete, t206 poses...

The auction had them listed with those HOFers (and Loudermilk) and I contacted them to correct the listing and sure enough they did.

I definitely agree that they are shirt buttons because why would there be SIX cufflinks. I was told they are not gold and look forward to doing some research as to when they were made and why these players were chosen.

When I did some research on the players 1909 seemed to be the year the almost each player did something of note -I don't remember my exact findings from a couple weeks ago but I believe in early 1909 Pelty threw a one hitter, Mullin a no-hitter,Conroy was expected to be a starting infielder who had a big following as a hardnosed ballplayer - but I don't know if the players would have been selected for such accomplishments.

More likely the maker just like the shots. But who knows.

Whatever the answers may be I am really proud to own them. If anyone can shed any light and provide any more info it would be greatly appreciated.

thanks for starting the thread. I was going to post them when I got them in hand. And Happy Holiday time everybody.

peter
Old 04-24-2011, 05:37 PM
Dan Bretta

I'm not sure how much research Morphy's does, but they listed a 1919 World Series Ticket Stub for Game 2 as just a regular ticket stub...they placed their expected selling price at $100-$150...I put a decent bid in on it, and forgot about the auction yesterday...unfortunately I wasn't the only one who noticed Morphy's mistake.