NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-08-2019, 06:26 PM
Don

Default Piedmont Question, RE Wagner & Plank

I've been reading about the 150 series and T206 Resource makes the claim that Wagner and Plank were late editions to the 150 Series and not part of the "original" 150 subjects.

They also say that the Sovereign 150 Series represents the original 150.

I've read the "Piedmont first" theory here and it makes sense for one reason - The Magie error is a Piedmont only back and Magie HAD to be part of the original 150, meaning the Piedmont backs were issued first.

But, that begs the question - Why were Wagner and Plank only issued in packs with Sweet Caporal? If Piedmont was first, it seems like those two would have been found in Piedmont packs. I realize that Piedmont backs exist for both but my understanding is that all of them were cut from unissued sheets. (1 Wagner and 4 Planks total?)

It does make it seem like both cards were released later in the 150 run.

And about late 150 subjects, any theories about Jennings being Piedmont 150 only?
Old 07-08-2019, 07:18 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarBear View Post
I've been reading about the 150 series and T206 Resource makes the claim that Wagner and Plank were late editions to the 150 Series and not part of the "original" 150 subjects.

They also say that the Sovereign 150 Series represents the original 150.

I've read the "Piedmont first" theory here and it makes sense for one reason - The Magie error is a Piedmont only back and Magie HAD to be part of the original 150, meaning the Piedmont backs were issued first.

But, that begs the question - Why were Wagner and Plank only issued in packs with Sweet Caporal? If Piedmont was first, it seems like those two would have been found in Piedmont packs. I realize that Piedmont backs exist for both but my understanding is that all of them were cut from unissued sheets. (1 Wagner and 4 Planks total?)

It does make it seem like both cards were released later in the 150 run.

And about late 150 subjects, any theories about Jennings being Piedmont 150 only?
I believe - and I'm sort of alone in this - that the 150 series as issued, like the other series was more complex than that.
Some of the cards were printed with revised art at least three times.
I also believe that not all the 150 were issued at the same time.
And that the groups issued were not the same for all companies.
And that some Piedmonts were printed using up leftover sheets during the 150/350 transition (as well as some P350 backs printed on what were intended to be 150's)
Old 07-08-2019, 07:32 PM
Don

By revised art, do you mean the Elberfeld, Dahlen, etc. team changes?
Old 07-08-2019, 08:52 PM
mark sanders

Default "revised art"

or, how about the tinker- hands on knees?
BAT ON: Old Mill, SC 350/25
BAT OFF: Cycle, Lenox, Piedmont 460/42, Uzit
& Piedmont 350
Old 07-08-2019, 08:54 PM
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by sando69 View Post

What's unique about that one in regard to the 150 series? The Chicago under type?
Old 07-10-2019, 09:16 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by sando69 View Post
That's the clearest example.

Chicago clearly visible on the uniform
Partly visible,
not there at all.

As far as I know there are only two of the first, and the other two I think are about equal.

since the stones would have had the images laid out with transfers, they represent three different press runs.

What we will probably never know is if the art was changed for Tinker only, or if they did small changes to other cards as well.

I have a card that I think might be a similar thing to the Chicago clearly visible, but it's in rough shape, and I'm not positive.

The mix of cards on a sheet changed, since we have only 12 cards that are 150 only and lots of evidence from the P150 plate scratches that the sheet was larger than 12 cards wide.
There's also the bit of packing plant log describing a packing as being for Philadelphia territory or other than Philadelphia territory
Old 07-10-2019, 11:04 AM
Don

The different printings makes sense, and I agree that it's more complicated than a straightforward Piedmont first theory.

What I hoped is that it might be possible to determine the original 150 subjects before the substitution of subjects occurred. (assuming substitutions occurred at all)

It's recognized that there are 156 150 subjects, and we can combine Magee with Magie, since Magie obviously had to be part of the original 150.

That leaves 5 cards that I think are candidates for not being in the original 150 roster - Wagner, Plank, Lundgren, Jennings, and Crawford.

None of those 5 are found with Sovereign 150 backs.

Crawford is SC and Piedmont.

Jennings and Lundgren are Piedmont only.

Wagner and Plank are SC and Piedmont, but never issued in Piedmont packs, effectively making them SC only.

Unfortunately, none of that adds up to anything straight forward as far as being able to determine if there were actually 150 original subjects.

It would be a lot easier if both SC and Sovereign had only 150, and Piedmont included the other 5 in issued packs. Then it might make sense.

So, I suppose the answer probably is: There isn't really an original 150.

I'd love to continue the conversation and maybe shed some light on how the different printings affect the 5 subjects that aren't included with all three 150 backs.