NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 03-07-2021, 08:30 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikc21 View Post
I can’t see the pictures for that post - anybody else have the same issue?
I don’t have that issue but I can’t Help Andrew out with any info. I’m hoping someone else will be able to help. The pennants are 1” x 3.5.”

Last edited by ooo-ribay; 03-07-2021 at 08:31 AM.
Old 03-07-2021, 10:15 AM
Marc

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7nohitter View Post
Hey guys,

Any help or thoughts about the things I posted in post #4803?
Hoping to know a little about them before I just toss them.
Thank you!
I don't know what they are, but I think they look cool, even if they are small.
Old 03-08-2021, 08:21 AM
Mike Kendall

Probably aren’t too many of these pennants still around.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 40E3E542-BC1F-433C-9B21-8FE8A0D519D7.jpg (21.5 KB, 244 views)
Baseball's appeal isn't complicated or confusing. It's about the beauty of the game; it's about heroes and family and friends; it's about being part of something larger than yourself, about tradition---receiving it and passing it; and it's about holding on to a bit of your childhood.

Tom Stanton from The Road to Cooperstown
Old 03-08-2021, 11:28 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK View Post
Probably aren’t too many of these pennants still around.
Especially with the cancel culture rendering that word obsolete. That pennant would be banned today. Speaking of banning, they just cancelled two of my favorite all-time cartoons... Speedy Gonzales and Pepe le pew.
Old 03-08-2021, 11:58 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Especially with the cancel culture rendering that word obsolete. That pennant would be banned today. Speaking of banning, they just cancelled two of my favorite all-time cartoons... Speedy Gonzales and Pepe le pew.
I was going to say the same thing Mark. Amazing that it could be offensive to call women females LOL.

Ridiculous about the cartoons...I wonder if Fat Albert will make it through unscathed? Or did that already get cancelled by "Me Too" since its creator is a rapist?
Old 03-08-2021, 12:16 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post
I was going to say the same thing Mark. Amazing that it could be offensive to call women females LOL.

Ridiculous about the cartoons...I wonder if Fat Albert will make it through unscathed? Or did that already get cancelled by "Me Too" since its creator is a rapist?
IDK... they love to contradict themselves. What will they do with Foghorn Leghorn? The Chicken character (one of my all-time favorites) who stereotypes old-time blowhard politicians from the South. But the people being parodied are basically the enemy of the woke crowd, so I'm assuming Foghorn Leghorn will be ok.

Here's just one other example of hundreds...

Megyn Kelly is fired for dressing up as Diana Ross (when she was a teenager). Done out of pure admiration and being a die-hard fan of The Supremes. A one-time occurrence from her childhood. Fired!

Yet Jimmy Kimmel is thriving... currently the face of Disney/ABC. This, despite his blackface impersonations of Karl Malone.... performed repeatedly and accompanied by a stereotypical black accent and ignorant subject matter. Far more disparaging, yet somehow deemed okay by "the powers that be".

I could cite hundreds of other examples, but we should really get back to pennants. Sorry for the diversion.

Last edited by perezfan; 03-08-2021 at 12:17 PM.
Old 03-08-2021, 12:40 PM
Doug Goodman

Getting back on the pennant track...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pennant - Brooklyn 1930s batter small.jpg (74.9 KB, 230 views)
Old 03-08-2021, 12:55 PM
Mike Kendall

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.goodman View Post
The Cubs version:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DDF2F801-F2A6-4C72-90FE-0BE835891EAD.jpg (18.9 KB, 230 views)
Baseball's appeal isn't complicated or confusing. It's about the beauty of the game; it's about heroes and family and friends; it's about being part of something larger than yourself, about tradition---receiving it and passing it; and it's about holding on to a bit of your childhood.

Tom Stanton from The Road to Cooperstown
Old 03-08-2021, 12:55 PM
Marc

Giants version
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Giants 1944.jpg (78.2 KB, 232 views)
Old 03-08-2021, 04:45 PM
Rob

Quote:
IDK... they love to contradict themselves. What will they do with Foghorn Leghorn? The Chicken character (one of my all-time favorites) who stereotypes old-time blowhard politicians from the South. But the people being parodied are basically the enemy of the woke crowd, so I'm assuming Foghorn Leghorn will be ok.

Here's just one other example of hundreds...

Megyn Kelly is fired for dressing up as Diana Ross (when she was a teenager). Done out of pure admiration and being a die-hard fan of The Supremes. A one-time occurrence from her childhood. Fired!

Yet Jimmy Kimmel is thriving... currently the face of Disney/ABC. This, despite his blackface impersonations of Karl Malone.... performed repeatedly and accompanied by a stereotypical black accent and ignorant subject matter. Far more disparaging, yet somehow deemed okay by "the powers that be".

I could cite hundreds of other examples, but we should really get back to pennants. Sorry for the diversion.
Welcome to the new America. Hypocrisy and double standards under the guise of equality. Oh and here's a pennant...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Super Bowl IV.jpg (18.5 KB, 213 views)
Old 03-08-2021, 06:40 PM
Rob

Quote:
Doug's Brooklyn Dodgers looks kind of my Mays photo pennant after I dyed it...color coming through the cracks in the paint. Hard to tell from my picture and mine isn't as "bad."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2021-02-10 05.27.58.jpg (81.0 KB, 224 views)
Old 03-08-2021, 06:53 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocca001 View Post
Giants version
There is also a Yankees version (which I do not have....)
Old 03-08-2021, 08:15 PM

Default AMCO Athletic Apparel Corp., Brooklyn, NY

Quote:
Interesting pennants Doug, Marc, and Mike. I've had this convo off-line with some of you; but, for everyone's sake: I'll share what I know about the maker of these pennants....

First off, take note of the artwork featuring this right-handed batter. You've just seen three examples of it. It was used on many pennants from the 1940s. Many were made for the three New York teams; but, I've seen him on some Red Sox and Cubs pennants, even an L.A. Angels PCL pennant, so there's likely many more out there.

The Lion's share of these pennants to feature this artwork, however, were Brooklyn Dodger pennants, such as Doug's. So I began looking at these in closer detail, hoping to identify this mystery maker. And then I saw this classic pennant (attached below), and discovered the tiniest of subscripts written beneath the batter.

It reads, "OFF. LIC. AMCO, N.Y."

I'm still researching this company, but I have uncovered publications listing them to be a (small?) manufacturer of pennants as of 1946, when they were listed as AMCO Athletic Apparel Corp. of Brooklyn, NY. In addition to pennants, the company also manufactured athletic uniforms--many of which come up for sale on eBay regularly because they routinely feature clear, distinctive AMCO labeling.

Anyway, I hope to post a story on AMCO in the near future on one or both of my BLOGs; but, since this company has come into relevance, I thought I might give you all a preview of coming attractions.

In meantime, let's keep an eye out for more pennants with the AMCO batter. In addition to this distinctive batter/artwork, their pennants measure about 23" in length; have two pairs of tassels; and are monochrome.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DodgersAMCOpennant.jpg (12.5 KB, 215 views)
Old 03-08-2021, 10:11 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domer05 View Post
Interesting pennants Doug, Marc, and Mike. I've had this convo off-line with some of you; but, for everyone's sake: I'll share what I know about the maker of these pennants....

First off, take note of the artwork featuring this right-handed batter. You've just seen three examples of it. It was used on many pennants from the 1940s. Many were made for the three New York teams; but, I've seen him on some Red Sox and Cubs pennants, even an L.A. Angels PCL pennant, so there's likely many more out there.

The Lion's share of these pennants to feature this artwork, however, were Brooklyn Dodger pennants, such as Doug's. So I began looking at these in closer detail, hoping to identify this mystery maker. And then I saw this classic pennant (attached below), and discovered the tiniest of subscripts written beneath the batter.

It reads, "OFF. LIC. AMCO, N.Y."

I'm still researching this company, but I have uncovered publications listing them to be a (small?) manufacturer of pennants as of 1946, when they were listed as AMCO Athletic Apparel Corp. of Brooklyn, NY. In addition to pennants, the company also manufactured athletic uniforms--many of which come up for sale on eBay regularly because they routinely feature clear, distinctive AMCO labeling.

Anyway, I hope to post a story on AMCO in the near future on one or both of my BLOGs; but, since this company has come into relevance, I thought I might give you all a preview of coming attractions.

In meantime, let's keep an eye out for more pennants with the AMCO batter. In addition to this distinctive batter/artwork, their pennants measure about 23" in length; have two pairs of tassels; and are monochrome.
Bocca’s has a way skinny spine,,,,
Old 03-09-2021, 07:13 AM
Marc

Yeah, and the tassels are different thicknesses too.

I got this one from Erik a few years ago, and, if I recall correctly, he purchased it from someone who was selling it with a program (from 1943 or 1944) that was said to have been purchased at the same game. I know that was a time in our country when there were concerted efforts to make sure that nothing went to waste (including odd sized pieces of fabric).
Old 03-09-2021, 10:05 AM
chris

Default 1942? Reds World Champions Oversized Pennant

Here's one for you guys to kick around...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1942 reds pennant(3).jpg (85.9 KB, 202 views)
File Type: jpg 1942 reds pennant(5).jpg (84.8 KB, 201 views)
File Type: jpg 1942 reds pennant(6).jpg (79.0 KB, 204 views)
File Type: jpg 1942 reds pennant(2).jpg (58.9 KB, 199 views)
Old 03-09-2021, 12:50 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpus Jones View Post
Damn! That’s gorgeous! Do you think it’s vintage? I only ask because the condition is spectacular.
Old 03-09-2021, 12:55 PM
chris

Definitely vintage Rob. Among other things it has the tell tale swiss cheese around the border area and in the red part as well
Old 03-09-2021, 01:10 PM
Rob

I would say so...Lowe & Campbell ceased to exist in 1961 when they were completely absorbed into Wilson Sporting Goods (though acquired by Wilson in 1931).

Just wanted to scoop Domer once.

Last edited by Fballguy; 03-09-2021 at 01:12 PM.
Old 03-09-2021, 01:13 PM
Rob

Kyle probably has this on his bookshelf.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lowe & Campbell.jpg (72.8 KB, 193 views)
Old 03-09-2021, 02:23 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Beautiful Chris!

Is that a new acquisition, or one you already had?

Either way, it's fantastic.
Old 03-09-2021, 03:00 PM
The Uber Anal Retentive Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpus Jones View Post
VERY VERY cool! Great pickup Chris. So I wondered, what, were the Reds a contender in ‘42? Turns out they finished 4th at exactly .500!
Old 03-09-2021, 03:01 PM

Here’s one
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6DB78098-0E18-4278-954F-FE498F61484C.jpg (20.1 KB, 196 views)
Old 03-09-2021, 03:03 PM

Here’s a mini with the batter ... I have almost a full set, it includes the Boston Bees so it dates to the late 30s.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C37FD9F9-6294-46F4-81C8-5293E2E7E1C8.jpg (20.4 KB, 188 views)
Old 03-09-2021, 03:24 PM
chris

Thanks, fellas. It's one I've had in the ol' pennant chest for a while and I was moving some stuff around today and thought I'd post it.
Old 03-09-2021, 03:48 PM
Gary

Chris that's a great pennant.

I'm still on the lookout for product catalogs like Rob's. Fantastic stuff.
Old 03-09-2021, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Kyle probably has this on his bookshelf.
Haha, you all think you're so smart ... but I'm much more familiar with the '39 edition

Rob, nice work. I hereby transfer my "super sleuth" crown your way. Use it wisely, now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lowe&CampbellCatalogue1939.jpg (12.9 KB, 176 views)
Old 03-13-2021, 07:07 PM
Gary

Default How do you store your pennants?

I know the obvious answer is on the wall. But when there's more pennants than wall space, other options are required.

I have a number of pennants in toploaders laying flat under a chair. It's not the most elegant solution. I'm curious how you're storing your pennants.
Old 03-14-2021, 09:26 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKCardGuy View Post
I know the obvious answer is on the wall. But when there's more pennants than wall space, other options are required.

I have a number of pennants in toploaders laying flat under a chair. It's not the most elegant solution. I'm curious how you're storing your pennants.
It’s about as “elegant” as my method (which is basically the same).
Old 03-14-2021, 03:31 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Just had a pennant epiphany (albeit a minor one...)

These two blue pennants are from the same mystery maker. Anybody (Kyle) want to speculate as to who made them?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NY Football Yanks.jpg (30.7 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg NY Baseball Yanks.jpg (46.5 KB, 133 views)
Old 03-14-2021, 04:14 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Welcome to the new America. Hypocrisy and double standards under the guise of equality. Oh and here's a pennant...
Hey, fellas, I'm a political junkie, and I'd love to engage you and anybody else on any of it some time, but I come here to get away from that stuff for a little while. I thought that was the deal with Net54, no?

Last edited by Hankphenom; 03-14-2021 at 04:14 PM.
Old 03-14-2021, 05:26 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

So just let it go as everyone else did.

In regards to the pennant Mark, I’ve had a number of those AAFC series pennants over the years, but I don’t remember any of them having a makers mark on the reverse. Obviously the same maker, but I don’t remember any markings on the baseball ones either. Good observation though.
Old 03-14-2021, 06:16 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duluth Eskimo View Post
So just let it go as everyone else did.
Not my style. Not hardly.
Old 03-14-2021, 06:23 PM
Marc

Quote:

I use these clear acrylic bookshelves (from Amazon). Not the best pics, but the only ones I have handy. I can get 10-12 pennants on the shelf and then rotate which pennant is in front. I think I have four of them right now and will probably get a few more. It works as a display/storage combo for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Shelf 3.jpg (43.3 KB, 175 views)
File Type: jpg shelf 1.jpg (65.2 KB, 172 views)
Old 03-14-2021, 06:44 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankphenom View Post
Not my style. Not hardly.
It's in the "rules," Hank.
Old 03-14-2021, 06:54 PM
Rob

Quote:
I use these clear acrylic bookshelves (from Amazon). Not the best pics, but the only ones I have handy. I can get 10-12 pennants on the shelf and then rotate which pennant is in front. I think I have four of them right now and will probably get a few more. It works as a display/storage combo for me.
That's a really great idea Marc. Looking good!

Rob
Old 03-14-2021, 07:46 PM
Gary

Quote:
That's a really great idea Marc. Looking good!

Rob
Ditto. Great idea - combined storage and display. Thanks.
Old 03-14-2021, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Just had a pennant epiphany (albeit a minor one...)

These two blue pennants are from the same mystery maker. Anybody (Kyle) want to speculate as to who made them?
Mark: Actually, I think all three of those of you pictured are by the same maker: AMCO Athletic Apparel Corp., of Brooklyn, NY.

Perhaps this one below seals the deal: it's the AMCO batter + same "N.Y. YANKEES" script as seen on the others.

...And if we have consensus that all four are by AMCO, then that means we now have an "AMCO quarterback" to complement our previously identified "AMCO batter" (with bat below the crown of his cap); and we now have a "2d AMCO batter" with a raised bat above the crown of his cap.

Good observation, Mark!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg YankeesAMCOpennant.jpg (20.5 KB, 177 views)

Last edited by Domer05; 03-14-2021 at 09:06 PM.
Old 03-14-2021, 09:27 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
It's in the "rules," Hank.
Political posts are OK, but taking exception to them is not? Is that a rule, Rob?
Old 03-14-2021, 10:02 PM
Rick

Quote:
Marc, I do the same for my pennants. But I also take an extra shelf and cut it into 6" lengths, then use one on the top to stop the pennants from falling out. I only use one screw for the top one so I can flip it out of the way to get to the pennants.

holder.jpg
Old 03-14-2021, 11:09 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlevy View Post
Marc, I do the same for my pennants. But I also take an extra shelf and cut it into 6" lengths, then use one on the top to stop the pennants from falling out. I only use one screw for the top one so I can flip it out of the way to get to the pennants.

Attachment 446355
Very clean/sharp looking display, Rick...

Functional, innovative and very attractive!
Old 03-15-2021, 12:30 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domer05 View Post
Mark: Actually, I think all three of those of you pictured are by the same maker: AMCO Athletic Apparel Corp., of Brooklyn, NY.

Perhaps this one below seals the deal: it's the AMCO batter + same "N.Y. YANKEES" script as seen on the others.

...And if we have consensus that all four are by AMCO, then that means we now have an "AMCO quarterback" to complement our previously identified "AMCO batter" (with bat below the crown of his cap); and we now have a "2d AMCO batter" with a raised bat above the crown of his cap.

Good observation, Mark!
Thanks Kyle...

So my assumption would be that this White Sox Pennant is also AMCO, and that we have a new/slightly different Batter to add to the list?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1950s-Chica...sAAOSwPW9esNwt
Old 03-15-2021, 07:43 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankphenom View Post
Political posts are OK, but taking exception to them is not? Is that a rule, Rob?
I kinda meant it tongue in cheek, Hank, but I'm pretty sure the moderator discourages politics or religion....which is probably a good idea.
Old 03-15-2021, 07:51 AM
Gary

Quote:
Nice work! Especially for a first attempt.

Definitely improved the appearance. One thing I have noticed (from the few times I've used bleach) is that it can "thin" the felt. It can break down the fibers and compromise the felt, with varying degrees of severity. Sometimes it's not even noticeable, but other times it's a definite bummer.

So if you do attempt the Yankees, please let us see the "after" photos, and let us know how it came out. Taping it vertically to the shower wall and prompt rinsing is definitely the way to go.
Well it turns out that my Yankees pennant was lost in transit. I got my money back but I'm still a bit bummed. I was looking forward to another bleaching attempt. Hey ho.
Old 03-15-2021, 08:30 AM
Marc

[QUOTE=rlevy;2081156]Marc, I do the same for my pennants. But I also take an extra shelf and cut it into 6" lengths, then use one on the top to stop the pennants from falling out. I only use one screw for the top one so I can flip it out of the way to get to the pennants.

Those look really good, Rick. It looks like the ones I have been using are longer. I have some room at the end of the shelves to display other items (e.g., cards, buttons, other random stuff). I like how tidy yours look.
Old 03-15-2021, 01:34 PM
Rick

Thanks Mark and Marc. They do work well for about 10 pennants in rigid cases. I wish I could say I was smart enough to have bought these acrylic shelves for this purpose, but I actually bought them for another purpose that didn't work out. With my available wall space gradually disappearing they became one of my better mistakes, although I do think Marc's shelves may be better since you can display some other items with the pennants.
Old 03-15-2021, 02:13 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
I kinda meant it tongue in cheek, Hank, but I'm pretty sure the moderator discourages politics or religion....which is probably a good idea.
A VERY good idea! Thanks, Rob.
Old 03-15-2021, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Thanks Kyle...

So my assumption would be that this White Sox Pennant is also AMCO, and that we have a new/slightly different Batter to add to the list?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1950s-Chica...sAAOSwPW9esNwt
Could be! I can't say I recognize this particular batter graphic....

That said, many of the AMCO pennants from the late 1940s, I've noticed, are around 23" in length. Trench was also heavily into the 3/4 size during this same time; however, their 3/4 pennants measured more like 26" in length. As this one measures 26" in length, I don't think we can exclude it as being by Trench.
Old 03-15-2021, 06:29 PM
Rob

Quote:

x
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3269.jpg (80.0 KB, 143 views)
Old 03-15-2021, 06:56 PM
Gary

That's pretty neat Rob. I'm trying to work out how it works. Have you fixed grommets through the holders or attached hooks to them so they hang on the cables?