NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-20-2017, 09:11 AM
@ndrew woo.dfin

Default Auction Houses. Do we need more?

So with all the auction houses out there is there room for more? I have been thinking how nice interaction with someone would be. The fact you're waiting what seems like 30 days for an auction to close only to stay awake for the next 48 hours to try and win it. The fees are absurd to say the least.

A format where everyone logs on and bids in real time. Questions can be answered, certain views or angles can be shown, hammer drops that evening before the next auction goes live. BP is minimal because the overhead is minimal.

I guess I want to know if anyone would consign to and/or buy from a format like that?

Member since 2009
Old 09-20-2017, 09:30 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Not sure exactly what you are asking, but I share your frustration.

Auctions is announced. It is closing 30 days later. Yawn.

And then it drags and drags and drags. And drags.

And then maybe the catalog shows up. Gee, forget all about this one.

I look at it again. Gee, now closes in 19 days.

A day before closing items a little activity begins.

Now last night of the auction is the height of insanity and I have to write it off or figure a way to be up at 5 am EST.

With this system I make the effort for the few and far between "must haves" and "can affords". A lot of smaller fun stuff that I might bid on I just stop paying attention to.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 09-20-2017 at 09:31 AM.
Old 09-20-2017, 09:37 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by T205 GB View Post
So with all the auction houses out there is there room for more? I have been thinking how nice interaction with someone would be. The fact you're waiting what seems like 30 days for an auction to close only to stay awake for the next 48 hours to try and win it. The fees are absurd to say the least.

A format where everyone logs on and bids in real time. Questions can be answered, certain views or angles can be shown, hammer drops that evening before the next auction goes live. BP is minimal because the overhead is minimal.

I guess I want to know if anyone would consign to and/or buy from a format like that?
Are you thinking like a live auction over a video feed?

Heritage Sunday Auctions have live bidding format. There is still very little interaction though. Combining that platform with a video feed could be interesting.
Old 09-20-2017, 09:47 AM
@ndrew woo.dfin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bn2cardz View Post
Are you thinking like a live auction over a video feed?

Heritage Sunday Auctions have live bidding format. There is still very little interaction though. Combining that platform with a video feed could be interesting.
Andy you hit the nail on the head with that one.

A video feed live format auction at a set time. Maybe biweekly or monthly. Only take in X amount of lots. I seriously think I can get the % to a solid 10 across the board no matter the hammer price. Fair and transparent deals in a real time format. Small picture preview of consignments.

Member since 2009
Old 09-20-2017, 09:49 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by T205 GB View Post
Andy you hit the nail on the head with that one.

A video feed live format auction at a set time. Maybe biweekly or monthly. Only take in X amount of lots. I seriously think I can get the % to a solid 10 across the board no matter the hammer price. Fair and transparent deals in a real time format. Small picture preview of consignments.
I believe it would be worth a shot. With the technology and the common place of video in communications, I think it is a matter of time. Someone will have to be the first.
I think high detail photos would still be needed. Video doesn't always work to pick up things. The high detail images for zooming in the Heritage auctions is always nice.
Old 09-20-2017, 01:55 PM
Scott Russell

How 'bout plain old live? ��
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 09-20-2017, 02:33 PM
@ndrew woo.dfin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bn2cardz View Post
I believe it would be worth a shot. With the technology and the common place of video in communications, I think it is a matter of time. Someone will have to be the first.
I think high detail photos would still be needed. Video doesn't always work to pick up things. The high detail images for zooming in the Heritage auctions is always nice.
The scans are the easy part. The audience is what is needed and the consignments need to be great to draw an audience.

Member since 2009
Old 09-20-2017, 03:16 PM
Sam Sw@rtz

Just one person's opinion, but it seems like the market is saturated with AHs. If the amount of good material to sell stays relatively constant, I don't know if the market can sustain this many AHs. There will likely be some winners and losers, but I just don't see how 10-15 players offering a similar product can sustain success in the long term.

That said, maybe a significantly different approach as you suggest could disrupt things, but you still have to fight to get the material that will pay for your labor, overhead, advertising, etc.
Old 09-20-2017, 03:29 PM
De.rek Gre.nce

Honestly, I love this idea. I would definitely be a participant! We had an auction house about ten minutes from my house close down a couple of years ago because the owner was retiring. I looked forward to it every week. I typically don't pay a ton of attention to the current auction houses because I usually forget about them once the time comes... Plus, this just seems a lot more fun!
Old 09-20-2017, 03:47 PM
Frank Evanov

Default AH

I agree that there are too many houses right now. The ones that run until 6 AM do a disservice to the Hobby and have to go. Live auctions via the net with reasonable hours would be great.
Old 09-20-2017, 06:16 PM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Places like Liveauctioneers and Proxibid do this to some extent. Live auctions and all that. Just no video and not much in terms of interaction.

To me the idea has some merit if it could be done right. Would have to work out all bugs well beforehand. Last thing you want would be technical difficulties during the first auction. That might end things right there.

Tom C
Old 09-20-2017, 09:48 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

I'm just about over auctions of all kinds these days. I'll happily "over pay" with a BIN than deal with competition and absurd time restraints...it's just not worth the hassle to me anymore.
Old 09-21-2017, 03:50 AM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

Hell NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There are too many auctions houses as it is, the last thing we need is more!!!!!!!!!

JMHO

Steve

Current Wantlist:
1909 Obak Howard (Los Angeles) (no frame on back)
1910 E90-2 Gibson, Hyatt, Maddox
Old 09-21-2017, 07:46 AM

Default Auction Companies

Obviously I am a bit biased about the number of auction houses out there but I think people fail to realize that more auction companies breed competition. Competition helps us all out with lower seller's fees. Do you think that if there were only 2 or 3 sports auction companies, that they would offer 0%?, -5%?.

Many of our customers use our live auction format www.morphyauctions.com , www.celebrityauthenticsauctions.com , www.goldinauctions.com runs 2 to 3 live events a year as well.

Again, I realize that I am biased but lets give things some thought before we open our mouths
Old 09-21-2017, 08:03 AM
@ndrew woo.dfin

I was able to speak with my friend last night about setting up a live auction format with electronic bidding and ect. It is going to cost a tiny bit but I am going to give it a shot and see if we can get the site set up and some testing done. Will keep you all posted.

I also agree there are way to many AH around. I am not looking to post 1000 items a night or allow bidding into the next day. The whole point is to bring something old and new together and make things better right.

I will be looking forward to feedback as I start this journey. I want to make sure its a great experience overall for everyone.

Member since 2009
Old 09-21-2017, 08:09 AM
@ndrew woo.dfin

revised

Member since 2009

Last edited by T205 GB; 09-21-2017 at 08:10 AM.
Old 09-21-2017, 08:39 AM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfreedman View Post
Obviously I am a bit biased about the number of auction houses out there but I think people fail to realize that more auction companies breed competition. Competition helps us all out with lower seller's fees. Do you think that if there were only 2 or 3 sports auction companies, that they would offer 0%?, -5%?.

Many of our customers use our live auction format www.morphyauctions.com , www.celebrityauthenticsauctions.com , www.goldinauctions.com runs 2 to 3 live events a year as well.

Again, I realize that I am biased but lets give things some thought before we open our mouths

I totally agree with you, that competition is good. I am all for healthy competition. There comes a point however, where the playing field becomes over-saturated.

As it is now, very few of us, if any (and certainly not me), are able to keep track of all the auctions going on. I do get the more than once per week email from auctionreport.com, but even it does not list all the auctions either soon to open, or that are currently taking bids.

It seems to me that when so many collectors are unable to keep up with the goings on, it is not good. Too much of a good thing, just like drinking too much water, is unhealthy, and can even be disastrous.

Just some examples:

- All the cards that were produced in the late 1980s - too much of a good thing

- All the card stores that opened in the late 1980s-early 1990s - too much of a good thing

- Overproduction of collector postage stamps in the 1990s - too much of a good thing

- Same thing has been said about US coins (especially commemoratives), collector plates, Star Trek action figures, Beanie Babies, and on and on and on.

I just don't want future collectors (or Heaven forbid, those of us here today) to be able to say the same thing about sports card auctions contributing to the demise of our hobby!

Steve

Current Wantlist:
1909 Obak Howard (Los Angeles) (no frame on back)
1910 E90-2 Gibson, Hyatt, Maddox

Last edited by Steve D; 09-21-2017 at 08:41 AM.
Old 09-21-2017, 10:51 AM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve D View Post
I totally agree with you, that competition is good. I am all for healthy competition. There comes a point however, where the playing field becomes over-saturated.

As it is now, very few of us, if any (and certainly not me), are able to keep track of all the auctions going on. I do get the more than once per week email from auctionreport.com, but even it does not list all the auctions either soon to open, or that are currently taking bids.

It seems to me that when so many collectors are unable to keep up with the goings on, it is not good. Too much of a good thing, just like drinking too much water, is unhealthy, and can even be disastrous.

Just some examples:

- All the cards that were produced in the late 1980s - too much of a good thing

- All the card stores that opened in the late 1980s-early 1990s - too much of a good thing

- Overproduction of collector postage stamps in the 1990s - too much of a good thing

- Same thing has been said about US coins (especially commemoratives), collector plates, Star Trek action figures, Beanie Babies, and on and on and on.

I just don't want future collectors (or Heaven forbid, those of us here today) to be able to say the same thing about sports card auctions contributing to the demise of our hobby!

Steve
Apples to oranges comparison.

You are equating the over production of a good to the proliferation of auction houses that do not produce goods.

I can see no scenario wherein increasing the number of outlets through which hobby items can be bought and sold would somehow contribute to the demise of the hobby.

Tom C
Old 09-21-2017, 12:32 PM
Sam Sw@rtz

I think we need to make a distinction between what we'd want as collectors and what's feasible given the laws of supply and demand. As a collector, would I want more outlets from which to buy? Sure, why not!

But if, for sake of argument, the number of AHs doubled, would the supply of quality cards to sell double? Unlikely.

So, you'd have a dilution of the quality cards available to each house, and some would simply not get enough good material to pay the bills.

As consumers/consignors, competition is great. But competition creates winners and losers, and the losers don't tend to stay in business long.
Old 09-21-2017, 12:34 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalman View Post
I think we need to make a distinction between what we'd want as collectors and what's feasible given the laws of supply and demand. As a collector, would I want more outlets from which to buy? Sure, why not!

But if, for sake of argument, the number of AHs doubled, would the supply of quality cards to sell double? Unlikely.

So, you'd have a dilution of the quality cards available to each house, and some would simply not get enough good material to pay the bills.

As consumers/consignors, competition is great. But competition creates winners and losers, and the losers don't tend to stay in business long.
I feel like there is already dilution in that we see cards going from one auction type venue to the next...pretty regular...never spending time in a "collection!"
Old 09-22-2017, 08:13 AM
@ndrew woo.dfin

So I have really good news. I spoke with a company yesterday afternoon that is able to create and do all that I am after. The good part is they have all the technology and programs but now need to combine it to make one for me. Its exciting because that means I will either have great software or that the big guys know something I don't and I will soon be in the drink

I am hoping to have an idea of what things will look like soon. If anyone has any feedback in what they would like to see I am open to anything helpful.

So far We have a live Video feed screen with sound on my side to communicate with the bidders. It should take up 1/4 of the Screen in the Upper right. The Left half of the Screen will be for chatter and questions. Below the video feed on the right side should be all the bidding info you need including an UP Next Preview. I am hoping by adding a chatter section that bidders can share info or ask questions during the auction. In case there is a questionable card brought to attention with sufficient proof it will be automatically cancelled and returned to consignee. I am hoping by adding all these features to keep as transparent as I can and always uphold the utmost integrity.

Member since 2009
Old 09-22-2017, 08:22 AM
T0dd M@rcum

Personally, I would love to have an AH that specializes in mid-range material...like VG sets from the 60s and 70s and a nice g-VG Carew rookie, lower grade raw t-cards and the like. Sadly it does not seem like a viable business model. I used to get a few, got fun cards I enjoyed at cheap to reasonable prices...which was the deathnail of the auction.
Old 09-22-2017, 09:45 AM
@ndrew woo.dfin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcard1 View Post
Personally, I would love to have an AH that specializes in mid-range material...like VG sets from the 60s and 70s and a nice g-VG Carew rookie, lower grade raw t-cards and the like. Sadly it does not seem like a viable business model. I used to get a few, got fun cards I enjoyed at cheap to reasonable prices...which was the deathnail of the auction.
That would be great but reality is it cost 4% or $500 per auction I run with that software. So as long as the AH makes a little profit then it should work in theory! Also with the low open bid set at $.99 to start should help drive the bids.

Member since 2009
Old 09-22-2017, 09:50 AM
Banned

This is great
Old 09-22-2017, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Huggins & Scott
Old 09-22-2017, 10:36 AM
K&v!/\/ R@g$d@/3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles1954 View Post
Huggins & Scott
I agree !00% with you . Huggins and Scott will take your collection no matter what it is like, how much it is worth , or how large it is and work with you . They , of course like all AHs love rare high -end items , but they won't cherry pick your collection for just the best items . They offer very competitive consignor fees also.
Old 09-22-2017, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klrdds View Post
I agree !00% with you . Huggins and Scott will take your collection no matter what it is like, how much it is worth , or how large it is and work with you . They , of course like all AHs love rare high -end items , but they won't cherry pick your collection for just the best items . They offer very competitive consignor fees also.
Of course I'm biased
Old 09-22-2017, 02:05 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default auctions

Huggins and Scott will not try to sell your lower cost items individually. They generally bundle them into lots and sell the lots. You will never get top dollar that way.

Andrew's 99 cent starting bid is a great idea. Some of the auction houses have become the equivalent of high priced eBay BIN's. The starting bids are so high that no one makes an opening bid. There was one particular auction a few months ago that had 200 items with no bids and another 200 items items with only one bid.

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 09-22-2017, 05:44 PM
Val Kehl

Quote:
Todd, I would think that Sterling Auctions pretty much fits the description of what you are looking for. And, Sterling has an auction every month, which always gives me an auction near term to look forward to.
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 09-22-2017, 06:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValKehl View Post
Todd, I would think that Sterling Auctions pretty much fits the description of what you are looking for. And, Sterling has an auction every month, which always gives me an auction near term to look forward to.
Love For The Game also seems to have a lot of mid-grade collector oriented lots. Though they aren't monthly and don't seem to have a set schedule.

Last edited by RedsFan1941; 09-22-2017 at 06:29 PM.
Old 09-23-2017, 07:28 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValKehl View Post
+1 on Sterling. And the Brockelman Auctions auction ending this evening also has lots of collector friendly cards as well as some higher end ones.

Personally, I think we need 1 more auction house.
Old 05-16-2018, 01:12 PM
Banned

Default Auction Houses

www.cardboardpicasso.com is something to check out. They market themselves as an alternative to sports card auctions and have "buy now" prices, 0% buyer's premium, free next-day shipping with insurance, a loyalty program, and coupons up to $200 off (through their loyalty program). They have an ebay site as well but the prices are always cheaper on their site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor912 View Post
I'm just about over auctions of all kinds these days. I'll happily "over pay" with a BIN than deal with competition and absurd time restraints...it's just not worth the hassle to me anymore.
Old 05-16-2018, 01:54 PM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevenice1 View Post
www.cardboardpicasso.com is something to check out. They market themselves as an alternative to sports card auctions and have "buy now" prices, 0% buyer's premium, free next-day shipping with insurance, a loyalty program, and coupons up to $200 off (through their loyalty program). They have an ebay site as well but the prices are always cheaper on their site.
3 posts, 3 references to the same business. Any chance it is yours? If so, why don't you just say that's?

DJ
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 05-16-2018, 04:13 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

How about a niche auction house? I see so many generalists doing the best they can with a variety of items. Wouldn't it be nice to see a niche auctioneer devoted only to prewar baseball, for example.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 05-16-2018, 04:58 PM
G@ry Sƈ@m.ҽh.0ɾn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
How about a niche auction house? I see so many generalists doing the best they can with a variety of items. Wouldn't it be nice to see a niche auctioneer devoted only to prewar baseball, for example.

I think that's why I love RMY Auctions. It's a niche auction for photo collectors. How many times do you actually see photos featured in an auction house? Not very often. Most of the time it's a Ruth...Mantle...Cobb...game used bats...hats..etc or personal awards from an estate.
Old 05-16-2018, 05:01 PM
Jerry

This thread made me think of Don West
https://youtu.be/CTaxttRR3Lc
Old 05-16-2018, 05:11 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

If more auction houses meant more great cards coming to market then yes. I fear that what it would mean would be more stuff that you could just as easily find on EBay. I say no. In fact, we probably need less than we have now.