NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-18-2019, 06:25 AM
Peter Spaeth

Default Washington Post article on the altered card scandal

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...=.9b528888be93

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-18-2019 at 06:35 AM.
Old 07-18-2019, 06:56 AM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Good exposure to the rest of the world!
Successful B/S/T deals with asoriano, obcbobd, x2dRich2000, eyecollectvintage, RepublicaninMass, Kwikford, Oneofthree67, jfkheat, scottglevy, whitehse, GoldenAge50s, Peter Spaeth, Northviewcats, megalimey, BenitoMcNamara, Edwolf1963, mightyq, sidepocket, darwinbulldog, jasonc, jessejames, sb1, rjackson44, bobbyw8469, quinnsryche, Carter08, philliesfan and ALBB, Buythatcard and JimmyC so far.
Old 07-18-2019, 07:02 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Nice balanced piece. Like most kinds of fraud, it's just a long game of whack a mole. When you figure out how to stop some part of it some sleezebag will figure out a new approach.
If PWCC has an email trail with Moser of anyone else detailing fraud I'd be real concerned. I've seen Brent at a few shows and he don't look like the kind of hale and hearty guy whose going to take a stint in a federal penitentiary particularly well.
Old 07-18-2019, 07:08 AM

Good article. I don't know how Moser can deny what he has done in light of the overwhelming evidence against him.
Old 07-18-2019, 07:19 AM
James

Default Question for the lawyers on this Board

There's a good likelihood that some or all of the lawyers who regularly post on this Board will read this thread. The question is have you or are you currently giving legal services to PWCC, Brent Huigens, PSA/Collectors Universe, or Gary Moser in any capacity? A simple yes or no would suffice.

Last edited by griffon512; 07-18-2019 at 07:40 AM.
Old 07-18-2019, 07:44 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffon512 View Post
There's a good likelihood that some or all of the lawyers who regularly post on this Board will read this thread. The question is have you or are you currently giving legal services to PWCC, Brent Huigens, PSA/Collectors Universe, or Gary Moser in any capacity? A simple yes or no would suffice.
no

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 07-18-2019, 08:02 AM
D P M

Why are SGC holders used for the image yet not mentioned anywhere and no images of PSA holders at all?
Old 07-18-2019, 09:44 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millerd33 View Post
Why are SGC holders used for the image yet not mentioned anywhere and no images of PSA holders at all?
This aspect annoyed me as well....

But finally a well-written article, overall. I thought the reporter covered most of the high points in an efficient and concise fashion.
Old 07-18-2019, 08:04 AM

Excellent!! Well done to those pushing this with the media. Forward!
Old 07-18-2019, 08:08 AM
Jay Cee

The term that collectors have said for decades comes to mind. Buy the card, and not the holder. For all the others that compete on the registry and invest on what the TPG say.. I hope the rabbit hole doesnt go down too far with this fraud/scandal.

On a side note.. Wasn't there an investigation going on with fake PSA holders coming South of the border? They were using real cards and hard to detect unless the cert number didnt match up.
Old 07-18-2019, 08:12 AM
Peter Spaeth

JC there was and I think still is, I don't believe they have apprehended the guy yet.

Old 07-18-2019, 08:11 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
no
Or maybe they will, lol
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 07-18-2019, 08:13 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
Or maybe they will, lol
Sorry?

Old 07-18-2019, 08:20 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

One wonders why they went with a stack of SGC graded cards for the photo.
Old 07-18-2019, 08:10 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Why would they answer that? It may even be unethical to answer.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 07-18-2019, 08:28 AM
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
Why would they answer that? It may even be unethical to answer.
If they are not giving legal services to these people/entities, why would it be privileged? If they are giving legal services to them, it's the determination of the lawyer whether it's privileged or unethical. If enough lawyers who regularly post respond and one doesn't that alone might reflect something. Not sure why you posted. It should be obvious to you why I did.
Old 07-18-2019, 08:32 AM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Finally a decent article about all this, David Seideman at Forbes should take notes.
Old 07-18-2019, 09:34 AM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
If they are not giving legal services to these people/entities, why would it be privileged? If they are giving legal services to them, it's the determination of the lawyer whether it's privileged or unethical. If enough lawyers who regularly post respond and one doesn't that alone might reflect something. Not sure why you posted. It should be obvious to you why I did.
The question, at least as I read it, was whether disclosure would be unethical, which is not limited to whether the information is privileged. Confidential information, privileged or not, may not be disclosed without client consent, with very limited exceptions.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 07-18-2019, 12:49 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Actually, there are certain circumstances where the fact of representation could be a client confidence that an attorney could not reveal without the client's permission, so some attorneys might not be able to answer the question.

I also want to make clear that I have no problems with any attorney who is asked to advise or defend an accused against potential criminal charges. It's part of the system. I don't happen to have the stomach for criminal defense, but that's my personality rather than anything else. I've defended some pretty sleazy people over the years in civil cases. Part of the job: you can pick your nose but you can't always pick your clients. Or their noses.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 07-18-2019 at 12:53 PM.
Old 07-18-2019, 08:45 AM
Kenny Cole

Quote:
No.
Old 07-18-2019, 09:31 AM
James

Default Thank you Kenny and Peter. Others?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Cole View Post
No.
see title
Old 07-18-2019, 12:39 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
No.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 07-18-2019, 07:21 AM
Jeff Sherman

Default Impact?

Within the hobby, within perhaps an even smaller circle, this scandal has been well-read for a few weeks, if not longer. This exposure, in a national publication with very substantial street cred, is going to be read by tens of thousands of people, and word will spread far and fast beyond the readership (as well it should).

How will this impact the hobby? How will it impact the next generation of collectors? Will this get parents scared off of introducing kids to the joy of collecting? Does it crash the market for vintage and semi-vintage cards? I said a while back that this is a scandal of industry-rattling proportions, and I am very worried that the fun and pleasure of collecting is going to get flushed down the crapper by this scandal.
Old 07-18-2019, 08:04 AM
Jason B.

Really nice write up and summarization of the hobby and current issues for the uninitiated lay public.

Very glad this is hitting the larger news environment, and well done to Peter and others.
WTB: '15 CJ Wagner & WaJo (PSA 2-3) | '33 Sport Kings Babe Ruth (PSA 4-5) | '52T Ed Mathews (PSA 4-5) | '47 VanPatrick Postcard of Bob Feller.
T-206 Monster: 520/520 (PSA 4-6)