NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-20-2019, 01:04 PM
Ed Woelfle

Default 2nd Chance Offers

Question - when you get a second chance offer literally within one minute of the auction ending when you were the under bidder, wouldn’t a red flag go up? The seller looks new/new user ID on eBay w/only 10 feedbacks to date (100%) The winning bidder .. I can’t see anything shady that stands out (no bid retractions and less than 10% bidding activity w/that seller).

Perhaps he has multiples of the same item (it’s not a rare card) and doesn’t want to list them all individually, reaching to under bidders if he’s good with that price? That’s not noted though and others tend to list quantities available. It just seemed a bit awkward to me so soon after the auction ended.

Last edited by Edwolf1963; 01-20-2019 at 01:10 PM.
Old 01-20-2019, 01:11 PM
Paul Herbener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwolf1963 View Post
Question - when you get a second chance offer literally within one minute of the auction ending when you were the under bidder, wouldn’t a red flag go up? The seller looks new/new user ID on eBay w/only 10 feedbacks to date (100%) The winning bidder .. I can’t see anything shady that stands out (no bid retractions and less than 10% bidding activity w/that seller).

Perhaps he has multiples of the same item (it’s not a rare card) and doesn’t want to list them all individually, reaching to under bidders if he’s good with that price? That’s not noted though and others tend it to list quantities available. It just seemed a bit awkward to me so soon after the auction ended.
That would absolutely be a red flag for me. If it's not a rare item I'd run away quickly and find another one.
Old 01-20-2019, 01:13 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Yep. To me that's evidence I was just played and the guy who won the item wasn't supposed to. Wink, wink.
Old 01-20-2019, 01:18 PM
Greg Ryk0w$k1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Yep. To me that's evidence I was just played and the guy who won the item wasn't supposed to. Wink, wink.

Agree, happened so fast that’s the only thing that makes sense.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/gregr2
Old 01-20-2019, 01:19 PM
Ed Woelfle

Thanks, yeah – that was my first thought (shenanigan’s), but it wasn’t clearly obvious to me that the winning bid/bidder was suspect given low bidding activity with this seller and no bid retractions. I know that doesn’t tell everything though.
Old 01-20-2019, 01:20 PM

Yeah..if it’s not a rare card you could just go after another one as stated before. Having said that...eBay is supposed to authorize the sellers ability to offer 2nd chances. The requirement is that the buyer did not pay or the seller has multiples. I’ve bought many items on 2nd chance offers over the years on eBay without any problems. I could have been lucky though! Usually in my cases the seller emailed me the reason I was being extended the 2nd chance offers. I don’t think they have to pay a listing fee for the multiples...just the final valuation fee which saves the seller a bit of money if they are selling multiples of the same item.
Old 01-20-2019, 01:29 PM
Ed Woelfle

Thanks, interesting – no explanation or message from the seller as to why the second chance offer on this one I guess that added to the suspicion of game playing.
Old 01-20-2019, 01:37 PM

Yes....I concur with the rest...all sound advice...if it’s common and can find more of the card just go after another. I did get a 2nd chance offer of an item I figured he wouldn’t have another one of so I asked for a picture of it standing inside a shoe. He did so and also posted like 5 others in the same photo with like a coke can propping it up and various other ways to show he had many multiples of the same item...I went ahead and accepted it.
Old 01-20-2019, 02:19 PM
Steve Birmingham

Ok, for a different bit of a take on it, even though it is a red flag.

There was a seller who was an Olympic cyclist in 64, his father had been in 48, and grandfather in 28. His father was also a coach in 56. I'd bought a few items from him.

He listed a 1948 Olympic jersey. Really cool, but with a bit of staining from the red stripe bleeding into the overall white while it was folded.
I was the underbidder, and got a second chance offer also within minutes of the auction ending. Hmm... he didn't seem like that sort of guy. And riders usually had at least two team jerseys. But it felt wrong.

Talked to a friend who said it did look odd, but maybe he did have another. He figured that if he did it would get listed eventually, if it was a shill, the same one would be listed eventually so I'd probably get another chance either way. So I just let it all slide.

About a month later, he listed another 48 Jersey, this one a lot nicer. I won it for about half of what I'd bid before. This listing was better, with a few pics of his father in uniform riding in England. I asked about the photos, which weren't for sale. When I got the Jersey he'd included nice copies of the photos. I eventually bought a few other things from him. His national championship jersey, a 56 team mechanics coat and tote bag. and a couple other things. I missed out on his 64 Olympic jersey, which went to a Japanese collector for a really big amount.

So not all red flags are indicating a real problem, sometimes it is just the person having two of something.