NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Football Cards Forum

Old 09-19-2014, 10:48 AM

Default Still looking for Ernie Smith!!

Still looking for 1935 Chicle Ernie Smith and to upgrade my Authentic, Caddel and Isola, loking for SGC 20-30

Thanks Tucker
Old 10-08-2014, 07:03 PM
John

Hey Tucker, These aren't coming around much - surprised this one sold the same day it was listed especially at that price: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1935-Nat-039...p2047675.l2557
Old 10-09-2014, 07:49 AM

Default Thanks Dez

Yeah I seen that one little out of price range for me!! I have noticed that all together all Chicles have stopped popping up on the Bay as much in the past year it seems??

Thanks for keeping an eye out for me

Tucker
Old 10-09-2014, 01:35 PM
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckr1 View Post
I have noticed that all together all Chicles have stopped popping up on the Bay as much in the past year it seems??
Tucker
Definitely! The supply suddenly just dried up. I literally picked up about half the set from December to July/August?, then nothing in the Fall, but the slowdown started before that. I guess its not a bad thing to have a challenge though. And I think my point of view was skewed - between a guy selling his father's cards and MSB, I probably wasn't relying on eBay as much as I thought. The "Just Collect" mid grade low number auctions early in 2014 were fun and nice too. I was starting to think they'd just continue, but of course nothing lasts forever.

And to be fair, PWCC does have a decent grouping starting yesterday which was nice to see. I'd love to have these, but my rule of thumb is a 3 grade on high numbers, so I'm sure I'm wasting my time even bidding:

Masterson: http://www.ebay.com/itm/400785840932...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Burnett: http://www.ebay.com/itm/351191406393...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Last edited by TanksAndSpartans; 10-09-2014 at 01:41 PM.
Old 10-09-2014, 02:07 PM

Default super nice

super nice Masterson!!
Old 10-15-2014, 09:14 PM
John

They went lower than I thought and lower than they've gone historically. Last PSA 5 Masterson I recall went for close to 800. And a Burnett in that grade..... haven't seen one. It really feels like prices for low to mid grade "vintage" football cards are going down while high grade prices are going up at the same time. (The examples I'm thinking of are some of the PSA 10 star "rookie" cards from the 70s that sold really high recently - Dorsett comes to mind.)

Jeff, if your out there, did you go after the Burnett?
Old 10-16-2014, 09:41 AM
Mi.ke Huds*n

John, I was lucky to pick up the Burnett. It did go lower than I was expecting. Although rough, it's fits great in my low grade set I'm putting together. I thought the Johnsos PSA 3 also went lower than expected.

Last edited by KrenBats; 10-16-2014 at 09:44 AM.
Old 10-16-2014, 12:46 PM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by DezHood View Post

Jeff, if your out there, did you go after the Burnett?

Nope. Holding out for a PSA 7

jeff
Old 10-19-2014, 08:36 PM
John

Just got back from out of town. Mi.ke - nice pickup on the Burnett! I honestly don't think it's rough (I'd take it in a second) - I'm a stickler for surface, but I've noticed the yellow background Chicles just don't have super clean surfaces - I tend to compromise on those. Was that why you thought its rough? Did you pick up the Johnsos too? My rule of thumb is 300 for a high numbered PSA 3, (guessing yours is similar) but in this case, I saw some wear, still was thinking 260-275 though. The Cadell PSA 4.5, Masterson, and Burnett were the "steals"/ones that bothered me - while I like getting deals - seeing the prices drop is a little uncomfortable.

How's your set going? Always nice to find out about someone else working on it. Do you have the Nagurski yet? Do you really consider a Burnett PSA 6 low grade? I think Jeff can tell you - those don't come around that often...

Jeff, good luck with the 7 - the only time I recall seeing high numbers graded 7 or above was with an AH, but I can't remember which one and there were actually several up at once. I guess I'll have to wait a little longer to get a look at your current Burnett (not the dup)

Last edited by TanksAndSpartans; 10-20-2014 at 08:54 AM.
Old 10-21-2014, 07:21 AM
Mi.ke Huds*n

John, sorry for the confusing post. I picked up the Burnett raw beater for $65. Those higher grade ones are definitely too rich for my blood.

Down to about 8 to go including Bronko. Trying to be patience but it's tough.
Old 10-21-2014, 10:12 AM
John

I get it now. Thanks for following up. Yeah, patience is tough. The only way I could handle it was starting a new set where the cards come up more often - I pretty much accepted the last 12 will be tough/slow process. My own added requirements (PSA holders, mostly 4s on low numbers and mostly 3s on high numbers and decent eye appeal don't make it any easier). I need 8 low numbers incl. 3 HOFers and 5 high numbers.
Old 10-21-2014, 08:09 PM
Jeff P

Patience is overrated

I have a bunch of doubles of this set of various grades if anyone is interested. Just PM me your needs list and grade requirements. I have some raw ones as well.

jeff
Old 10-24-2014, 01:18 PM
Jeff P

Chicles are hot right now and continuing to go up in value. Will they come back down? Who knows what the market will do.

My advice is to save up and pull the trigger when one that fits your requirements comes up for an ok price because some of these are really difficult to find and while you continue to search, the price might rise more. A year from now a price that looks a bit high now might look like a major bargain.

jeff
Old 10-24-2014, 05:07 PM
John Spano

Tucker,

You will find one...I suggest the patient approach. I am working on a group that has one that would fit your parameters. I will keep you posted. Best of luck!

John