NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-12-2015, 08:23 PM
Terry
Ter.ence Le.wis

Default Can't fight City Hall- eBay protecting their large sellers (probstein content)

I purchased 7 cards from Probstein on the 10th of December. They were all from a modern set and clearly from the same consigner as they all were the same player, same set and very low serial numbered.

I won all 7, two for a very low price and the other 5 for about market average. I paid not thinking too much about it. Fair play-service and shipping was quick and Probstein had delivered my cards in a few short days. It needed a signature and was returned to my main HUB and it took a sweek for me to retrieve the package. Cards were packed well and were in good shape.

As I was entering my new cards into spreadsheets (date acquired, price paid, ect...I do enjoy this part) I poked through and low and behold I was shilled. The bidder o***l with 11 feedback. This person has 100% bidding activity with the seller. Every bid was on these cards within the last few minutes.

Quote:

30-Day Summary
Total bids: 10
Items bid on: 5
Bid activity (%) with this seller: 100%
Bid retractions: 0
Bid retractions (6 months): 0

Sports Mem, Cards & Fan Shop > Baseball 4 Seller 1 <1h
Sports Mem, Cards & Fan Shop > Baseball 3 Seller 1 <1h
Sports Mem, Cards & Fan Shop > Baseball 2 Seller 1 <1h
Sports Mem, Cards & Fan Shop > Baseball 2 Seller 1 <1h
Sports Mem, Cards & Fan Shop > Baseball 1 Seller 1 <1h
So I contact Probstein and explained in a well thought out and polite email that these cards were clearly shilled. I was hopeful that he had not paid the consigner the fees yet and we could reach an agreement. He replied with this:

Quote:
hi, best thing it to contact ebay trust and safety and let them determine if anything happened
thanks
rick
He knew darn well I would run into a big, fat wall.

I called them, I emailed them, I reported the auctions, I waited on hold with them, I spoke with eBay employees that I could literally just barely understand a word they were saying. eBay customer service is basically useless and so I resigned myself to that there would be no recourse.

Well the only recourse left would be to leave appropriate feedback, right?

Well the last kick in the teeth was all the negatives have been removed.

Probstein makes eBay a lot of money...as long as he says he's against shilling it's good enough for them. FWIW I was shilled for $62.00

Ter.ry Lew.is

Last edited by Leon; 01-12-2015 at 08:52 PM. Reason: name added per rules
Old 01-12-2015, 08:26 PM
pete ullman

Sorry to hear you fell victim to Probsteins well documented shilling...I'd say a $62 lesson could have been much worse!
Old 01-12-2015, 08:31 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancemountain View Post
I purchased 7 cards from Probstein on the 10th of December. They were all from a modern set and clearly from the same consigner as they all were the same player, same set and very low serial numbered.

I won all 7, two for a very low price and the other 5 for about market average. I paid not thinking too much about it. Fair play-service and shipping was quick and Probstein had delivered my cards in a few short days. It needed a signature and was returned to my main HUB and it took a sweek for me to retrieve the package. Cards were packed well and were in good shape.

As I was entering my new cards into spreadsheets (date acquired, price paid, ect...I do enjoy this part) I poked through and low and behold I was shilled. The bidder o***l with 11 feedback. This person has 100% bidding activity with the seller. Every bid was on these cards within the last few minutes.

So I contact Probstein and explained in a well thought out and polite email that these cards were clearly shilled. I was hopeful that he had not paid the consigner the fees yet and we could reach an agreement. He replied with this:

He knew darn well I would run into a big, fat wall.

I called them, I emailed them, I reported the auctions, I waited on hold with them, I spoke with eBay employees that I could literally just barely understand a word they were saying. eBay customer service is basically useless and so I resigned myself to that there would be no recourse.

Well the only recourse left would be to leave appropriate feedback, right?

Probstein makes eBay a lot of money...as long as he says he's against shilling it's good enough for them. FWIW I was shilled for $62.00
With all the problems associated with Problemstien I am at the point that I blame the problem 100% on anybody stupid enough to bid on his auctions. JMHO
Old 01-12-2015, 08:33 PM
Terry
Ter.ence Le.wis

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
With all the problems associated with Problemstien I am at the point that I blame the problem 100% on anybody stupid enough to bid on his auctions. JMHO
I agree with you 100%

I was unaware of how institutional it really was and that is why I have posted this thread. I will never bid on a Probstein card ever again
Old 01-12-2015, 08:36 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Ben- Well said my friend. These threads go back to when Moby Dick was a minnow. Hello!, dont bid on his freaking auctions!!

Last edited by CMIZ5290; 01-13-2015 at 04:04 PM.
Old 01-12-2015, 08:53 PM
Duane Clark

I have won several Probstein auctions and may have been shilled but I don't sweat it. I do my homework before I bid so that I only bid the maximum that I am willing to pay. If I win great. If I lose, I'll get the card from other sellers, sources, etc. I understand your angst but $62.00 is a small price to pay for a lesson learned. Good luck in your future collecting endeavors.

Duane Clark
Old 01-12-2015, 09:08 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Quote:
I have won several Probstein auctions and may have been shilled but I don't sweat it. I do my homework before I bid so that I only bid the maximum that I am willing to pay.
To achieve the same result, if you aren't shilled in an auction do you flush a $20 bill down the toilet? Most collectors would prefer to keep the $20 and use it towards purchasing something else. Let's just hope that by 'homework' you don't mean following past shilled auction results.

Last edited by drcy; 01-12-2015 at 10:17 PM.
Old 01-12-2015, 10:38 PM
Terry
Ter.ence Le.wis

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
Let's just hope that by 'homework' you don't mean following past shilled auction results.
Yup!

Shilling is everyone's problem
Old 01-13-2015, 11:07 AM
S Gross

Quote:
Originally Posted by dclarkraiders View Post
I have won several Probstein auctions and may have been shilled but I don't sweat it. I do my homework before I bid so that I only bid the maximum that I am willing to pay. If I win great. If I lose, I'll get the card from other sellers, sources, etc. I understand your angst but $62.00 is a small price to pay for a lesson learned. Good luck in your future collecting endeavors.

Duane Clark

Agree 100%, other than I've only won one of his auction. It was for a lesser known 1921 Zbyszko Exhibit. I was willing to pay $100 for it (tough wrestler), but I knew I would be probably shilled up to that. So I sniped at 50 something and won, happy. If I lost, no big deal, I'd rather wait and even pay a bit more down the line.

Secondly, GREAT for him (sarcastically, of course) for shilling OP out of $62 !!!!! Hope it's worth losing a customer that might potentially spend hundreds in the future !!!!
Old 01-13-2015, 02:34 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by dclarkraiders View Post

Duane Clark
+1. Well its nice to get a bargain now and then, most great collections in any field are not built on them. Bid the max you are willing to pay, evaluating as best you can the item's past, present and future potential value, and you will never be cheated.

Best wishes,

Larry
Old 01-13-2015, 02:44 PM

I don't understand that logic though. The maximum you're willing to pay isn't the winning bid. You're essentially saying it's no big deal to pay the most you're willing to pay. But to me it is a big deal because I didn't have to pay that much in the first place.

Do you guys use coupons or ever buy things on sale? Or do you insist on paying MSRP for all your purchases?
Old 01-12-2015, 08:41 PM
Kenny Cole

Quote:
I would guess that a large percentage of his buyers aren't members of this forum and thus have no idea that there's a problem. I actually threw a bid in on a card last week, didn't get shilled. Got it for less than market value. That happens occasionally.
Old 01-12-2015, 08:48 PM
Christ0pher C@ssidy

Mention that you intend to document the incident and file a complaint report with your state's district attorney's office. ebay will connect you to a manager and you should get some satisfaction then, depending on how your wish to resolve the matter.
Old 01-12-2015, 08:55 PM
Terry
Ter.ence Le.wis

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevil89 View Post
Mention that you intend to document the incident and file a complaint report with your state's district attorney's office. ebay will connect you to a manager and you should get some satisfaction then, depending on how your wish to resolve the matter.
I would exhaust every avenue to nail this guy, believe me. It's not the $62, it is the principle and I am willing to stand up to this crook.

The problem is I can't get on the phone with someone to make this threat!
Old 01-12-2015, 09:05 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

"I can assure you, doctor, that I can make things unpleasant for you and your staff, if you have one."-- Kramer
Old 01-13-2015, 11:09 AM
Belltown Vintage

Thenextlevel - every time you bid in an auction run by a crooked seller, you are saying "shilling is okay".
Old 01-13-2015, 11:20 AM
Belltown Vintage

That reminds me of today's article on rent increases - renters cry when rent increases to approach market value, but demand a decrease when market value for rentals drops.
Old 01-13-2015, 11:24 AM

In my opinion hidden reserves are bogus. If you want to put a reserve on your item, then put a reserve on it. Bidding on your own items to hit some hidden reserve is lame.

I will not bid on some items if there is a reserve. It has nothing to do with what I'm willing to pay. I'm not willing to play that game at all. So if someone has a hidden reserve, that to me is a misrepresentation. Some people call that a lie, others a hidden truth. Either way I don't want to be involved and failing to be upfront about it is not cool in my opinion, regardless of what I'm willing to pay.
Old 01-13-2015, 04:59 PM
Belltown Vintage

I understand the point that everyone is a criminal, although I disagree with it, but Probstein is anything but a policeman. In any analogy you choose ebay has failed in that role.
Old 01-14-2015, 07:15 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
I understand the point that everyone is a criminal, although I disagree with it, but Probstein is anything but a policeman. In any analogy you choose ebay has failed in that role.
Probstein is crooked. His auctions are crooked. All the vomitous excuses listed here don't change that.
Old 01-14-2015, 07:18 AM
John Startleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
Probstein is crooked. His auctions are crooked. All the vomitous excuses listed here don't change that.
Is it him, or all ebay consignors? I can't see any consignor doing things any differently than he does. I could be wrong, but what consignor does things differently? Does PWC aggressively fight consignees shilling their consignments?

Last edited by sportscardtheory; 01-14-2015 at 07:19 AM.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:17 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscardtheory View Post
Is it him, or all ebay consignors? I can't see any consignor doing things any differently than he does. I could be wrong, but what consignor does things differently? Does PWC aggressively fight consignees shilling their consignments?
Nobody is asking Probstein (or any other consignor) to fight shilling. It would be ridiculous to expect them to police their auctions. However, we do expect them to do something about it when it is pointed out to them.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:53 AM
Bob Beck

Probstein is all about the mighty dollar, no matter how small, plain and simple. Pretty sad business model with zero class, built around pure greed and ego. He could care less about shilling, it's all about the money. I came to this realization after an encounter with him after an ebay sale. In the end, he kept the few extra dollars that he was not entitled to. In reality, I actually won, he has to look at himself in the mirror everyday. Huge bummer for Probstein.

Last edited by bbeck; 01-14-2015 at 03:35 PM.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:01 AM
Mike C@.v3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
Nobody is asking Probstein (or any other consignor) to fight shilling. It would be ridiculous to expect them to police their auctions. However, we do expect them to do something about it when it is pointed out to them.

I hear ya, David. I don't think much of probstein for just sitting back in this situation, seems shitty imo. He could at least put on a show for us and act like he somewhat cares...it could save the net54 community multiple threads and hours wasted going over the same stuff that never changes. Appease us, damn it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1938 Goudey Graded VG range 37/48
Old 01-14-2015, 10:14 AM
Steven Finley

Quote:
What exactly is "to do something about it"? Provide a partial refund for every Tom, Dick, and Harry who thinks a legitimate snipe bid "shilled" him? He probably already deals with dozens of returns a week due to simple buyer's remorse. Maybe he should wrap his package advertising included with every order with $20 bills as well. Does shilling occur on some of his auctions and with other larger consignment companies? Duh, welcome to reality. There are also people like me. In November I won 3-4 PSA/DNA cards from him. I make on average 2-3 eBay purchases a month with the majority being BIN's. So had you won any of the other 3-4 cards I was the under bidder on my bid % would have likely been very high and look like shilling. It wasn't. It was me bidding on multiple like items with the same seller. How often does that happen with a seller of his volume?

This is nine pages of Probstein is a crook and Probstein knows some of his auctions are shilled but absolutely no one has provided a viable solution for a larger eBay consignment house to implement.
Old 01-14-2015, 12:16 PM
John Startleman

Quote:
Do ANY ebay consignors do this?
Old 01-13-2015, 05:42 PM
Daryl

If only Grand Slam Bids could've made it...
Old 01-13-2015, 06:54 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Bidder Information
Bidder: 0***r( 336Feedback score is 100 to 499)
Item description:
Item Title:
1974 Topps #281
Bids on this item: 1

30-Day Summary
Total bids: 1733
Items bid on: 1709
Bid activity (%) with this seller: 99% Help

I was about to bid on this auction ..

anything fishy with a 99% bidding history on 1733 total bids?
Old 01-13-2015, 07:13 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
Bidder Information
Item description:
Item Title:
1974 Topps #281

30-Day Summary

It depends if it is a Problemstein auction yes. If it is another large seller that has a banner ad on this site no. I don't get it but that is the general consensus.
Old 01-13-2015, 11:30 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
Bidder Information
Item description:
Item Title:
1974 Topps #281

30-Day Summary

That's one I'd be concerned with. Not the original post that started this.

It's either a super loyal customer, a bottom level bidder throwing in lowball bids on nearly everything to see if anything sticks and living vicariously through the auctions process (notice hardly any more bids then items bid on), or a shilling consignor setting his own reserve, one bid at a time, on Probsteins auctions.

Only Probstein and the consignor knows if it's the last one, thanks to Ebay's recent trend into "privacy".............but if it is a consignor there's no way Probstein DOESN'T know who it is, based on the large volume of items involved here........it would be hard to claim it's too much work to suss out the consignor.

Looking through a bit of the history it looks like he's a heavy bidder on 1974 Topps hi-grade PSA cards. He has won some auctions and has not pulled any bids. Probstein would know if he's not paying for his auctions.............or if he is and they're from a consignor willing to take a loss to protect his cards, he'd know that to.
Old 01-13-2015, 10:39 PM
Daryl

Default Can't fight City Hall- eBay protecting their large sellers (probstein content)

Does eBay not have the ability to data mine auctions to look for evidence of shilling? I would think at the very least they could after the fact if not in realtime. What if the shiller-inflated amount was refunded automatically if shilling was found within X number of days of auction end? That would put a stop to a lot of this.

I know, I know. I'm dreaming.

Last edited by 4815162342; 01-13-2015 at 10:39 PM.
Old 01-13-2015, 11:09 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4815162342 View Post
Does eBay not have the ability to data mine auctions to look for evidence of shilling? I would think at the very least they could after the fact if not in realtime. What if the shiller-inflated amount was refunded automatically if shilling was found within X number of days of auction end? That would put a stop to a lot of this.

I know, I know. I'm dreaming.

Only way that would work is if somehow, Ebay had a list of all of Probsteins consignors and could match up their consignor info with their bidding info.

Bid %'s don't mean a whole lot unless they are also retracting bids, or they are not paying for auctions they win. Those are two things Ebay could easily track or put limitations on, that they don't.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:33 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancemountain View Post

...the only recourse left would be to leave appropriate feedback, right?

Ter.ry Lew.is
A tip of the hat to the OP for clearly stating why he is POed.

Rick Probstein apparently made this feedback vanish, thereby adding to the eBay sham that is the feedback system.

Best regards,

Eric

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra

Last edited by Eric72; 01-15-2015 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Shortened the post to stay on topic.
Old 01-28-2015, 06:57 AM
Jason A. Schwartz

For those not too bothered by shilling, would you support.eBay changing their rules and allowing sellers to bid on their own items? It really is the same thing, only the former is fraudulent while the latter would be transparent.

Collecting interests and want lists at https://jasoncards.wordpress.com/201...nd-want-lists/
Old 01-28-2015, 09:34 AM
Mike C@.v3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason.1969 View Post
For those not too bothered by shilling, would you support.eBay changing their rules and allowing sellers to bid on their own items? It really is the same thing, only the former is fraudulent while the latter would be transparent.

I don't think anyone is "not too bothered" by shilling, I just think we are limited by what we can do about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1938 Goudey Graded VG range 37/48