NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-08-2007, 02:19 PM
Administrator

Default Why is Fred Tenney Always So Tough?

Posted By: barrysloate

I was just reading Robert Adesso's fine article on D304's- great research Robert- and he noted that among the toughest cards in the set is Fred Tenney.

Well, Brian McQueen and I often discuss the tough cards in each set and it almost always comes down to the same player- Fred Tenney. He's a tough E103, tough E98, some even think he's a tough T206. And I'm sure I'm leaving out a couple of other sets.

Why is that?

Old 04-08-2007, 02:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: paulstratton

I think one of reasons is that a relative of Tenney buys up his cards whenever he can.

Old 04-08-2007, 02:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian McQueen

Regardless of the set I'm working on at the time, Tenney is a player that I've always had a tough time with. I've never been able to acquire his e103 card which left me needing one card to finish that set. His e98 also eluded me for a long time. I know Rob had a hard time finding a d304 for him as Tenney is a player he and I have discussed in the past as being a "thorn in our sides". It took me forever to get an m116 blueback of him. Finally one was offered to me by a board member. I also made a run at an e107 Type 2 set last year and one of the cards I was never able to find....yet again...was Tenney.

For any set that he's a part of, Tenney is consistantly one of the very last, if not final card I'm able to find. I've been curious for a long time why this player is so difficult on the whole as well.

Old 04-08-2007, 03:07 PM
Administrator

I know Carroll Tenney, he used to buy up every Tenney card I had, then told me he wasn't even related to him.

As Robert pointed out, Tenney's last two seasons were 1909 and 1911, and he sat out 1910. One way to look at it is he was near the end of his career during the time most of the T and E cards were issued, so that could explain the shorter print run.

On the other hand there were some 300-400 major leaguers in 1910, and only 25 to 30 made it into any of these caramel sets. Then why was Tenney included at all? There had to be several players who were more popular than him, especially since he sat out one full season.

Old 04-08-2007, 03:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay wolt

I'm slowly approaching competion of my Turkey Red set
and I still need the Tenney and seldom see them offered.

Old 04-08-2007, 03:36 PM
Administrator

See- Jay found another set we hadn't even thought of.

There has to be a reason for this mystery.

Old 04-08-2007, 04:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bruce Babcock

Tenney (or Tenny) was the last D304 I needed. Finally found it on ebay in 2001. In a surprise bonus, the seller was a sportwriter living in Florida who bought this card from Buck Barker, whom he met while covering the Cardinals in 67 or 68. The card has a bit of a pinkish hue. Don't know why.

Old 04-08-2007, 10:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

I knew about the relatives of Wood, Coombs and Miller (from the PCL sets) buying up cards of their relatives, but this is the first time I heard about Mr. Tenney. Not even a relative you say? Hmmm. Strange. I once sold a couple of cards to a woman who said her children were the great grandchildren of Hal Chase and would really be excited to get them. I didn't have the heart to tell her about her grandfather.

Old 04-08-2007, 11:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Kravitz

I have one, but I am still looking for over half to finish the set.

Old 04-10-2007, 11:11 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tim Newcomb

I have noticed the Tenney phenomenon too: didn't obtain with T206, but the M116 was really difficult (I think I traded Brian his blue-back), and the caramels too for the most part.

My guess is that there is (or was at one time) a relative who did suck up a lot of copies. He or she may not do the boards or even the net, but could be out there at shows, etc.

Tim