NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 05-11-2012, 05:31 PM
Jim M.arinari

Default Should I or shouldn't I?

I have a extremely "rare" (I know, I know!) 22" x 17" team picture of the 1973 Phillies. It is the only one I have ever seen and I have had it over 30 years. I think it is beautiful as a standalone piece. Back in the late 80's I thought it was a good idea to get Larry Bowa to sign it.

Now my dilemma. Should I attempt to fill it in with some additonal autos? I can fairly easily get 9 or 10 more, but many are now deceased and I'm not sure if having Earl Stephenson on it will detract from it's value. Aside from value, how about aesthetically?

I'd really like some honest input, no matter how harsh it may be
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GEDC0386.jpg (72.7 KB, 224 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC0387.jpg (69.5 KB, 225 views)
Old 05-11-2012, 05:55 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Maybe you could do a high-resolution scan of the piece as it is now, clean it up in photoshop (including removing Bowa's sig), and have a full-size color print made of that, and then proceed with acquiring additional sigs on the original.

Since you won't be able to get everyone's signature on it, maybe focus more on balancing it out so that all of the autographs are not visually weighted on one side or the other. Then you would have some display options, whether it be the cleaned-up reprint or the autograph-laden final product.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:45 PM
Jon Canfield

I personally like the suggestion above - and fill it out with more signatures!
Old 05-11-2012, 07:47 PM
Jim Murphy

sorry but unless I am missing something it is not very rare. I have 3 that are quite similer.

What make it rare
Old 05-11-2012, 09:42 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Get it signed...no doubt about it.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:50 PM
Jim M.arinari

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatspajamas View Post
Maybe you could do a high-resolution scan of the piece as it is now, clean it up in photoshop (including removing Bowa's sig), and have a full-size color print made of that, and then proceed with acquiring additional sigs on the original.

Since you won't be able to get everyone's signature on it, maybe focus more on balancing it out so that all of the autographs are not visually weighted on one side or the other. Then you would have some display options, whether it be the cleaned-up reprint or the autograph-laden final product.
This is indeed a good suggestion! As far as the balancing, my skills with photoshop aren't good enough for me to rearrange the players.

Quote:
sorry but unless I am missing something it is not very rare. I have 3 that are quite similer.

What make it rare
You have three 22" x 17" original 1973 Phillies team pictures? The one that is Mike Schmidt's first image wearing the #20? The one that noone at the old Willow Grove shows nor the National in Atlantic City nor any other Schmidt / Phillies collector had ever seen? Well, that makes it four known to me! Are you looking to sell?

Last edited by Deertick; 05-11-2012 at 09:53 PM.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:12 PM

As it's already signed, you might as well get the other signatures.
Old 05-12-2012, 12:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by drc View Post
As it's already signed, you might as well get the other signatures.

yep, agreed, there are two kind of collectors who might be interested in this, those that like a signed piece, and those that want the original item in its original state, since it already has a larry bowa sig, the toothpaste is already out of the tube. getting more wont hurt the items value, it might increase it, might not, but i dont think it would be worth less since it has already gone the autograph route.
Old 05-12-2012, 04:33 AM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deertick View Post
The one that is Mike Schmidt's first image wearing the #20?
As a Mets fan, I hated that team!! Argh!!! Oh, you can't see Schmidt's #20 in this picture.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 05-12-2012, 04:48 AM
Jim Murphy

It is a picture on paper right or is it a photograph on photo paper. To me it looks like a poster. These were from a point in spring training and were sold in the gift store in clearwater
Old 05-12-2012, 10:11 AM
Jim M.arinari

Travis, David: That's kinda what I thought. Unringing the bell.

Jolly, technically correct. And is he really wearing pants?
Old 05-12-2012, 10:25 AM
Jim M.arinari

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphusa View Post
It is a picture on paper right or is it a photograph on photo paper. To me it looks like a poster. These were from a point in spring training and were sold in the gift store in clearwater
Jim, I'd love to see your posters. Can you post a scan of at least one of them for me? And you are right, it WAS taken in spring training! Right outside the locker room / offices in the Carpenter Complex. Do you have any idea which particular gift shop in Clearwater sold these? They may have some NOS of these lying around! Or if you have any other leads, again I'm in a buying mood!