NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-05-2005, 06:59 PM
Administrator

Default The $1,300 bath - can someone explain this?

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

An N172 Radbourn sold on ebay for about $800 on 05NOV05 (see link below). That very same card was sold at auction (see second link below) about a month and a week ago for over $2100 (including juice). Can someone explain how this happens? Can anyone tell me who is (ebay seller) TIGIE?

I just don't get it... That $1,300 might represent someones card budget for a whole year or then again it could be someone elses chump change...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8714736947&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEDW%3AIT&rd=1

http://www.hugginsandscott.com/cgi-bin/showitem.pl?itemid=170&catid=

Old 11-05-2005, 07:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: joe maples

Hello Fred, that certainly is a gigantic difference, but I think most major aution houses definitely get more money for these cards And believe it or not there are still collectors out there that don't use or see all the ebay auctions. I use both, but a lot don't.

Joe

Old 11-05-2005, 07:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Forrest

The ebay price was a touch high. The H&S price was absurd.

Old 11-05-2005, 08:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Kevin Cummings

I'm no detective, but I'm thinking the consignor and the winner (or his "agent") of the Radbourn card in the Huggins and Scott auction was one and the same person, Tigie perhaps? All that he/she lost was the vig in the H & S auction.

Old 11-05-2005, 08:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

Frank "tigie" is a fellow collector...i believe he reads/posts here.

Old 11-05-2005, 08:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

I've seen where the auction house gets less than Ebay for a unique rarity, example being a 1888 Hall's Cincinnati Reds Imperial Cabinet selling for $1700 less on Lipset's auction after it was sold on Ebay. More likely scenario's what you just showed. Rather extreme bath, though, seller should had opened at least $999, not $9.99.

General rule: Ebay will get less on true rarities, as an auction house gets the last bid, ebay closes at a certain time. I lost an auction on a 1 of kind 19th century rare card last night, I might have put in a higher bid as my snipe bid was outsniped. I'd be able to do that with an auction house, get carried away and overpay, or the other guy overpay with a bidding war.

Old 11-07-2005, 10:17 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh

for a fact that the consignor of the Radbourn card to our auction was NOT the seller of the card in that ebay auction.

I don't know if the buyer of the card in our auction was the same person as the seller, or if the card changed hands in the month that elapsed between our auction ending and the seller listing this card on ebay.

I do find it interesting that the card only sold for $800 on ebay...I certainly think that card is worth more than $800, especially considering the prices that I've seen for some other OJ HOFers in recent months.

J

Old 11-07-2005, 10:40 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

this one is blurry and has a weird fault on the photo surface. Two high prices for the card, to me.

Old 11-07-2005, 10:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: DJ

I think it may simply come down to getting caught in the moment and/or bad business.

I actually see this quite often to be honest with you and I don't understand why. Take for instance the weeks following the Barry Halper auction in New York City. A lot of it ended up in catalogs and a lot of people took minimal losses weeks later. A lot of it ended up on eBay and I remember seeing three items that a seller purchased from the Live Auction where he paid $12,000 for it and he was only able to garner $6,500 back on his investment on eBay. I was able to do well following the auction.

I was intrigued by the Radbourne and actually rather shocked by the final price. I couldn't get past the heavy crease and the fact that I was tantalized by a Board member's offering of a higher grade card for a very nice price. I couldn't believe the second time around that it only sold for $799 but I think if you look carefully, you will find more deals like this for some reason following an auction. Maybe people thinking that eBay is a larger forum and that it will get more eye balls than a catalog. Who knows but all I know is that I rather dislike losing money.

DJ

Old 11-07-2005, 11:11 AM
Administrator

I would like to clarify something here. I in no way believe there was any wrong doing on anyones part in any of these auctions. It boils down to one auction house (a reputable one with a strong following of collectors that trust the source) being able to maximize their good standing in the hobby community and ebay which doesn't always get the same type of bidders in their auctions.

I just found it really strange that someone would take a hit like this on something in such a short period of time. I guess that it happens. I was just curious to see what others thought.

Old 11-07-2005, 11:40 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh

Fred,
I apologize if my response made it sound like I was accusing you of anything. It definitely was not any accusation. I was just trying to shed light on the situation and inform people that the consignor was not the same as the seller on ebay. I do appreciate your response though, regarding our auction.

Thanks,
Josh Wulkan
Huggins and Scott Auctions
www.hugginsandscott.com

Old 11-07-2005, 12:23 PM
Administrator

Josh,

There's no reason to apologize. I should have clarified all of this up front. I apologize for not doing so.

I should probably check with the ebay seller of the Radbourn to see if they have anything else they want to sell. I actually tried emailing the seller but I haven't received a reply. Maybe they just want to forget about the whole thing.

Go H&S!