NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-09-2008, 05:06 PM
Administrator

Default Trimmed --> Authentic Grade

Posted By: Dan Paradis

I realize that most trimmed cards can still get an "Auth" grade from SGC and PSA.

Is there a limit to how much trimming can be done and still get slabbed? Can a severely trimmed card still get an "AUTH" grade?
I have an OJ with just the picture area left? It measures 1 1/4" x 2 1/8".

Thanks.
Dan

Old 03-09-2008, 05:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave S

Yep, they'll "AUTH" it...

Old 03-09-2008, 06:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve Murray

All four borders trimmed off.

Old 03-09-2008, 07:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Phil B

SGC will slab "authentic" with clear request. PSA will NOT (in my experience) unless you have a personal friend there. To be fair- PSA's printed rules say that they will not slab trimmed cards as Authentic. But they have never been willing to explain the exceptions to the rule that we see floating around from time to time. I assume they do it for big spenders or friends of Joe O. I can tell you from experience they have refused to do it for me and have refused to answer why it is done for others.

Old 03-09-2008, 08:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Fred C

So, PSAs guidelines indicate they will not provide an AUTHENTIC label to trimmed cards. I believe that. I think they assign numerical grades to trimmed cards... ok, everyone knows what comes next... LOOK AT THE "HARRIS" COLLECTION.

Old 03-10-2008, 05:25 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob D.

When I was ready to get my 1952 Num Num set graded and was deciding between PSA and SGC, I saw that some PSA-graded cards that were missing the coupons (which could be cut off the bottoms) had numeric grades and others were graded "authentic."

When I asked why at the National, I was told that if there's a certain amount of space between the dotted line and the edge of the card, PSA will assign a number. If there's no space or not enough (never did get an answer to what is "enough") between the dotted line and the edge, then the card is deemed "authentic."

I went with SGC.

Old 03-10-2008, 05:25 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Addie_Joss

There are a lot of PSA authentic cards out there. I wonder why they wouldn't do it for you. Most of the time though the PSA Authentic card is a hand cut strip card.

Old 03-10-2008, 03:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Phil B

Fred-
Which box do I check on my PSA submission to request a number grade for my trimmed card?

Has any official PSA spokesperson ever posted on this board? It would be fascinating to get an actual explanation as to why trimmed cards are slabbed for some people and not others. Hand cut cards are a different issue- I am talking here about regular cards (33 goudeys in my case) which PSA deems to be trimmed and refuses to slab. Customer service has never responded to any of my many inquiries and Joe O. did not respond to a letter which I mailed and faxed.