NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-28-2006, 07:58 AM
Administrator

Default what do yall think of my new cobb?

Posted By: derek

I paid what its worth, but do yall think this was a good deal? 750.00 with sh.
Its graded auth. But I think it will look better in an SGC or PSA 1.
It doesnt looked tampered with, just beat up.
DO yall think it will grade a 1 grade from either company?
Thanks guys
Derek

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSAA:US:11&Item=320010758252

Old 07-28-2006, 08:11 AM
Administrator

Posted By: steve f

I like it a lot. Is it torn and glued? My Matty was Authentic and labeled Altered because of a severe tear that was repaired.

Being that it's in a GAI holder it possibly didn't pass muster with PSA or SGC. -Something to consider before busting it out. It has great eye appeal and the price seems fair nowadays.

Old 07-28-2006, 08:11 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

Derek,
This is a great looking card. I think you did well! It is hard to tell if it will grade by one of the other two based on the scan. It appears to maybe have a slight angle cut on the bottom border. Seeing how it is rounded I think this might be from the factory. Definitely worth sending in. Although if you plan on keeping the card, I'd leave in the global holder. It looks pretty sweet! Congrats on a great card at a fair price.

Old 07-28-2006, 08:31 AM
Administrator

Posted By: anthony

fyi, gyrene inflats his price a little more than others so i never buy it now, i always offer a fair price that i dont mind paying, so far he's only turned down one of my offers, i'd buy from again...very cool guy and a fellow MARINE, OOH-RAH !!

Old 07-28-2006, 08:47 AM
Administrator

yea, i had questions about the bottom. and he replied just saying it was graded by gai, and they are reliable. So i think he tried psa already. but ive been wanting this cobb for a while. do yall think its worth 750 even in an auth grade? I realy want it in an sgc 10.
Thanks
Derek

Old 07-28-2006, 08:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: steve f

Send SGC/Scott Hersh an email with a scan. He will likely tell you to just send it so they can take a close look or he may let you know if it's been there already. You got a good deal on a very rare Cobby.

Old 07-28-2006, 09:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Eric B

I have one that looks similar that wouldn't grade either. But mine had a corner taped to hold it on. But this one doesn't look like that happened, just a fold. So maybe it didn't grade for another reason like it was colored. Can GAI give the reason?

Old 07-28-2006, 09:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh K.

I think you got a great deal on the card - whether or not you are able to get it into a 1 or 10 slab. Just check out the recent sales of that card. Most 2s are going for over 2k (mastro had one that looked worse than yours but was graded a 2 sell for over 3k with the juice). I bought the cobb below but had to spend more than 3 times what you paid.

As for whether it will grade or not, it looks good to me. The only thing I see is one the reverse - there is a discoloration down the center of the card. Its highly unlikely, but I suppose that the card could have been split in half and then restored leaving the slightly off colored area as a by product.

Old 07-28-2006, 10:05 AM
Administrator

i think it was just glued to an album which is why it got a 0 grade. what do yall think?

Old 07-28-2006, 10:11 AM
Administrator

If it was just glued to an album, than it should get a grade.

Old 07-28-2006, 10:24 AM
Administrator

Posted By: peter ullman

i dig it...beautiful card...despite the grade, etc. Josh...yours rocks!

pete in mn

Old 07-28-2006, 11:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: fkw

It has good eye appeal. I think its been on eBay (ungraded) off and on for last year in the Store area.
Im 95% certain I used to own that one, If it is the same one, it is recolored. Someone took a black pen and colored pencils to some of the creases and colored them. The black mark on the thin black line next to the second "B" in COBB is the pen, and the bottom right creases are colored, and I think some of the yellow creases are colored too. I got it from Kit Young about 5 years ago for about what you paid, and resold it for about the same maybe 4 years ago. When I owned it I didnt think it would grade, so never tried. Im fairly sure its the same card, but not 100%. Nice pickup at a good price, especially for such an attractive Cobb that has seen a jump in value lately.

Frank

Old 07-28-2006, 11:40 AM
Administrator

Thanks Pete.

Derek, even if recolored, I believe you got a nice card at a nice price. I would still get it slabbed by SGC - even if it only rec'd an authentic.

Old 07-28-2006, 05:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Lyle

The T227 is probably my favorite Cobb.

Old 07-28-2006, 09:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: honus3415

Derek, your card was submitted to SGC and it was rejected as "altered" due to color being added. It looks a bit nicer now than it did last year, so I'm not sure what other improvements may have taken place.

Old 07-29-2006, 04:38 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

man! Im a little un happy. I emailed him asking if it had been recolored and he said no bc gai would have stated that. Its been soaked im sure. Do yall still feel this card s worth 750.00? Its nice
Derek

Old 07-29-2006, 07:37 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Sean

I think it is still worth it. Bust'er out and submit it to SGC and ask to have it graded AUT if it can't be given a numerical grade.
I guess you have to assume something was altered if it didn't get a 1 from GAI.

Sean BH

Old 07-29-2006, 08:06 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe D.

SGC policy might be different than GAI.

Leave it in the slab.

If you want an SGC Slab - I would show the card to SGC in the slab and ask them if they would cross it over to an SGC Authentic. They may not.

If you crack it out, GAI might reconsider putting it in a slab themselves, and SGC might not either.

Thats how I would approach it anyway.

Old 07-29-2006, 08:10 AM
Administrator

I agree - send it to sgc in the slab and ask that they cross it over to a authentic slab of their own. I would call them first and ask whether they will slab a recolored card authentic or not.

It does appear that the card was soaked and pressed as well - the wrinkles are far less noticable.

Old 07-29-2006, 08:17 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Seth B.

Don't be too down on this purchase. We're very negative here about restored/touched-up cards, but I think with an "AUT" label, you're being honest about it, and let's face it: this card is really gorgeous and really rare. If any card deserved to be restored, something as treasured as this one did. It's hard to find an example of this to begin with, to say the least about one that looks as sharp as yours, even if there is an asterisk next to it. Great pick up!

Old 07-29-2006, 09:19 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

This card was obviously purchased as a low price alternative. You have to figure that you got what you paid for and that's saying a lot because it is a real card regardless of what's been done to it. If you're a purist and can't live with the card then don't buy cards encapsulated with the AUTH labeling.

IMO you got a nice price on the card. Be happy with it because it has great visual appeal.

Old 07-29-2006, 07:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

When you decide that this card is wrong for you (if ever), please let me have a chance to prove to you that I think that it is right for me.