NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-27-2006, 10:20 PM
Administrator

Default Early Baseball Stereoview

Posted By: ramram

In the recent past we had a thread with some interesting stereoviews that Jimmy L. was kind enough to add the 3-dimensional quality to it. Below is some more of his (and his cohorts at work) magic on a civil war stereoview that I picked up. Two of the soldiers hold baseball bats while another imitates the stance of a catcher.

Rob M.

Old 07-28-2006, 06:37 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe D.

nice.

I definitely have to get myself a stereoviewer for the stereoview I picked up... I think I am missing half of the fun with these.

Old 07-28-2006, 07:24 AM
Administrator

Posted By: steve f

My guess.

Union Army c1864.

The Command Staff, the fellows in the long black coatees indicate Flag Officers. There were hundreds and hundreds of Generals in both Armies.

A security regiment to accompany and protect the Presidential or high command entorage. Lincoln often visited battle sites for briefings.

Formal dress white belts, not a normal work uniform which suggests a Band or Parade Detail/color guard for ceremonies/burials/dedications. Lack of weaponry and abundance of US flags. At least six flags are showing.

I was also considering the first Army Navy contest (white pants) and a West Point cadets' outing of some sort, but the personnel appear older.

If I was in the Army back then, this is the command I would wish to be assigned to. I particularly like the RHB warming up. This card is a beauty.

Old 07-28-2006, 09:04 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lowe

Thats a gem . Its a reserve unit at least the guys with the clam shell jackets . They are very similar to the ones worn by Cadets . Not sure about the hats but different Units wore many styles even Fez'z and Turbins .

Jeff

Old 07-29-2006, 09:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jimmy Leiderman

Hi Rob, glad you liked the SV animation test.
I've been pretty busy lately at work so haven't got a chance to check on the tech guys.
I'm still waiting for them to deliver 3 other SV animations from other board members and friends.

Now that we're talking 19th century ball here... I want to share this "gem" I found while doing some research yesterday's night. The exact text as follows.

Daily Miners' Journal
July 28, 1870
Pottsville, PA

Base Ball Pitcher.- As the national game is all the go now, a brief description of this important member of the nine will be appreciated: "On receiving the ball he raises it in both hands until is level with his left eye. Striking an attitude, he gazes at it two or three minutes in a contemplative way, and then turns it around once or twice to be sure that it is not an orange or coconut. Assured that he has the genuine article he then winks once at the first baseman, twice at second baseman, and three times at the third baseman, and after a scowl at the short stop and a glance at the home plate, finally delivers the ball with the precision and rapidity of a cannon shot."

Old 07-29-2006, 02:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: ramram

The writer is probably talking about that Pottsville Pa. "Enterprise" player CDV that you have (this is a segue for you to show your CDV).

Rob M.

Old 07-29-2006, 05:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jimmy Leiderman

Nice memory Rob!

Since Leon is still away at the national, let's keep the ball rolling!

Old 07-29-2006, 06:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

That is fantastic ramram, thanks for sharing it. And I had no idea that you could display 3-D in this venue. Thanks to all who can put this together!

And yes, Joe D. The stereoviewer isn't that costly, and it has negligable chance of depreciating, and it is a fun enhancement. A must buy even if you have only one card.