NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-25-2006, 07:59 PM
Administrator

Default OT: What other things do you collect?

Posted By: edacra

I would guess most of us have the collectors bug for other stuff besides sports cards. I'm going through my Grandmother's estate this week and finding it hard to part with anything old.

I also collect French New Wave film posters, and Cantorial records, Old medicine bottles, Sixties sociology & counterculture books - and probably a lot more stuff I can't think of.

I was wondering what types of other things you all collect?

Old 07-25-2006, 08:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Daniel Bretta

I like vintage advertising items....But I specifically collect old Pepsi Cola items.

Oh yeah, I also collect just about anything baseball related that is older than I am.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Old 07-25-2006, 08:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: steve yawitz

Phish posters and jerseys. I can't afford game worn - and like wearing 'em anyway - but I love hockey and futbol jerseys. Can't wait for my new Arsenal kit to get here!

Old 07-25-2006, 08:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

Tons of baseball stuff.......cards and non-cards alike....

Other than cards.......

Louisville Slugger merchandise including Player model autographed L.S. bats, some 14" mini bats, Baseball Bat Pencils, Baseball Bat banks

Boxing PM10 Pins

Non-sports cards like A&G, Some Dukes issues, N224 Kinney Military and others

Kentucky Derby Glasses, tickets, programs

University of Louisville football and basketball programs, photos, tickets, etc.

And.....when I travelled so much for work, I started saving the little stub things at the end of the ticket. Have probably 1000 or more of them now from most every segment I've flown. Can't really get rid of them anymore. Feel pretty confident the value is not increasing on them though.

Old 07-25-2006, 08:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve M.

tobacco tins. Guess it's an offshoot of my interest in "T" cards.

Old 07-25-2006, 08:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joann

Rookwood pottery - but not as seriously as cards. Mostly pre-1930 or so. It's breathtaking. I'll post pictures if I ever get any.

I also collect a mini-bat, logo ball and long sleeve T shirt from any team I have seen play in their home stadium. I'm starting to gather a small basket full of mini-bats. People sometimes go to games and get me a mini bat as a souvenier, because they know I "collect" mini-bats. I think they are very nice and appreciate the gifts, but don't really consider them part of my collection because that is made up of teams I've actually seen. First one? Charlotte Knights. Latest? St. Louis Cardinals. Favorite? Toss-up between Brooklyn Cyclones and Albuquerque Isotopes.

J

Old 07-25-2006, 08:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

Over the years I've collected a lot stuff. I had the finest collection of Banana Splits (late 60-early 70s Saturday morning show) memorabilia until I sold most of it to Hana-Barbera for their archives. Was very active in the Indian/Wild West card market before exploded. I have collected lunchboxes, coins, stamps and many other things. I had a massive collection of action figures (over 2000) that included a complete collection of vintage Star Wars toys except for Jaba's Sail Barge. I still have a few hundred around, mostly robots and anime related figures. Also have there big interactive wrestling figures that are just a hoot. I will probably never selll them just because they are to funny and too much fun to play with. I cut my DVD collection down from 300 to about 200. I also like collecting girlfriends

Jay

Growing old is not optional, growing up is.

Old 07-25-2006, 09:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe Drouillard

Neat question. I didn't start collecting memorbillia until after the kids graduated from college, couldn't afford it until then. I started out collecting autographed balls. Mostly, I get the autographs in person going to signings in the area where I live, but also at induction week at Cooperstown. There something about shaking the hand of the old timers and watching them smile as my wife tries to take our picture. I don't mind paying them for the autograph either. I figure they wouldn't do it if they didn't need the money. When you get an autograph in person there is always a story connected with it. I remember Whitey Ford helping me climb up on stage in Cleveland because my back was out and having Johnny Bench want to buy the Cooperstown sweater I was wearing because his wife hadn't bought him that particular one yet. Even the bad experiences like having Willie Mays snarl at me for saying something stupid like "Willie, your the greatest." I could tell a story about every autographed baseball in my collection, and I can't wait to get to Cooperstown this weekend make some more memories.

Best of all collecting autographs has led me back into collecting old cards.

Old 07-25-2006, 09:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

medieval coins, military Dinky toys and planes, Sherlock Holmes books, post cards, baseball ticket stubs (if you pitch yours, save them and mail them to me, I'll reimburse postage and send you some beer money), old maps (16th to 19th century), baseball books, autographs (mainly baseball, but I have Sir Edmund Hillary, Donald Rumsfeld, Bronco Nagurski, Richard Petty, Supreme Court Justice Blackmun, some governors, movie and TV stars, and musicians), stamps, movie ticket stubs, telephone insulators...

I used to collect those little slips of paper "inspected by...". I had hundreds of different. Mom pitched them. And I'm ok with that.

I have a total absence of nomad genes... gotta have junk, treasure and plunder piled around me.

Old 07-25-2006, 09:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: J Levine

Ex-girlfriends, debt, dust bunnies, and years older.

Joshua

PS Oingo Boingo Memorabilia, baseball books, and shot glasses.

Old 07-25-2006, 09:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

owww, Oingo Boingo is one of my all time favorite groups. Got party with them New Years Eve 1983 after their show at the Warfield in San Fran. Danny Elfman is a very cool guy.

Jay- All hail the Order of the Mytsic Knights of Oingo Boingo

Growing old is not optional, growing up is.

Old 07-25-2006, 09:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Mosley

Tom,

I used to collect airline ticket jackets (anyone still get those in the day of printing your tickets online?)

I also collected napkins, coffee stirers, anything with an Airline logo on it since my father used to fly for a living and traveled around a lot.

Not much value in them but it is neat to have items from a bunch of Airlines which have long since gone out of business....

Frank,

You collect Richard Petty autographs?

Old 07-25-2006, 10:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: James Gallo

I have collected Comic books mostl pre 1960s, and this is my second phase in cards.

I have a huge Spiderman toy collection as well as some of my comics still left.

I also collect 1980's action figure toys and I have a large collection of that stuff.

Neck and Neck with cards is my high end vintage (1970s) Star Wars collection.

I also have some random Baseball related things.

James Gallo

Looking for 1915 Cracker Jacks and 1909-11 American Caramel E90-1.

Old 07-25-2006, 10:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul Stratton

I collect Bobby Jones items. I have a fairly decent collection thanks to ebay. Mostly cards but some nice memorabilia as well. Sadly I also collect books and can never bring myself to get rid of any of them.

Old 07-25-2006, 10:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jerry

Toys, toys & more Toys

Old 07-25-2006, 11:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: edacra

I love these answers.... and um...

now I KNOW I've got collectors blood....because I have the sudden urge to collect everything that's been mentioned, especially those Inspected By stickers. I'm also regretting throwing out my Grandparents stash of old travel tickets now (I kept one, from TWA).

I inherited my Grandmother's salt and pepper shaker collection. I can't say I care much for salt n' pepper shakers, but now I have the urge to add to it as my duty or something.

Old 07-25-2006, 11:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter ullman

I was a huge baseball card/memorabilia collector as a child but lost interest when girls became interesting and I wrecked my ford granada so I sold my cards to buy a camaro. I too am on my second wave of collecting since the early nineties.

I collect anything old and baseball related, modern artsy stuff and american pottery.

pete in mn

Old 07-25-2006, 11:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Max Weder

Books books books

Max

Old 07-26-2006, 04:19 AM
Administrator

Posted By: John S

Old clocks and watches and antique postcards of all the places that I have lived.

Old 07-26-2006, 05:20 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Keith O'Leary

We are collectors aren't we, great stuff everyone.

Most have seen these before, but I at least took fresh pictures .

Vintage peanut roasters (store and street models). Heres one I use often. A Cretors counter top model from the 20s. Runs on electric and has a small motor to turn the drum.

Cretors2.jpg

A Bartholomew Victor from the turn of the century. This one ran on white gas or naptha and is powered by a clockwork mechanism with a governor. It can run for 4-5 mintues with 1 winding. I don't fire this one up as far as roasting but love watching the gears turn.
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f92/vwtdi55/RoastersnEngines/Victor.jpg

A Kingery from the teens. This one used to run on "city gas". I now run it with propane.
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f92/vwtdi55/RoastersnEngines/Kingery.jpg

Also gasoline utility engines. These were used mostly on the farm (although many small machine shops, sewing factories etc also were powered by larger versions of these) to run generators, churn butter, grind corn, pump water, power lumber mills, run tractors etc. Here are 2 New Holland engines (a 2 HP and a 5)
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f92/vwtdi55/RoastersnEngines/NewHollands.jpg

2 HP Economy
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f92/vwtdi55/RoastersnEngines/Economy.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f92/vwtdi55/RoastersnEngines/Economy_close.jpg

1 1/2 HP Root and Vandervoort
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f92/vwtdi55/RoastersnEngines/RnV.jpg

a small running model
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f92/vwtdi55/RoastersnEngines/Model.jpg

edited to add what runs the peanut roasters and what the engines were used for.

Old 07-26-2006, 05:34 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill Stone

Travel Decals from the 40's and 50's. I would venture to guess that I have the most complete collection of Miss America decals in existence ( I hope I am wrong and someone has a complete set !) I also have a near complete set of Baseball Cutie decals --risque little decals issued about 1954 depicting beautiful girls in baseball uniforms.

Old 07-26-2006, 05:41 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jason

As I started to look for earlier and earlier baseball images (from cabinets to tins to CDV’s to Ambrotypes and so on), I started to appreciate the art involved in the earliest form of images (Daguerreotypes) and the people behind the ghostly-silver photos that had long since passed on. I started off collecting any old dag (true black & white images on silver coated metal plates) but have now progressed to collecting the experimental period of photography from 1839 – 1843. (2 pictured are from 1840 & 1841 respectively)

Old 07-26-2006, 05:52 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard Simon

I collect Presidential memorabilia and autographs. Especially JFK and assassination related memorabilia. I have two JFK signed items, Lee Harvey Oswald, Jack Ruby, Clay Shaw and more.
I also collect rock n roll items and my favorite item is a Janis Joplin autograph personalized "To Richard" I did see her in concert in the last year of her life.

--

I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.
Unknown author
--
We made a promise. We swore we'd always remember.
No retreat baby, no surrender.
The Boss

Old 07-26-2006, 06:11 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike Campbell

I collect wire photos/original photos of Foxx. I have about 55 of them. Many 29,30,31 world series action photos. Some others with Foxx involved with Ruth,gehrig, Williams and dozens of other hall of famers, I also have many with he and his family, wife, etc. etc. casual photos of him at parties. I have no idea, but I love 'em. They can be framed and displayed. With UV protected glass obviously. My wife recently let me hang a few Ruth wire photos in our family room. There is hope I guess.....

Old 07-26-2006, 08:30 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Alan Elefson

Hi-
I collect Boy Scout Memorabilia. This is a surprising area in terms of value. There are a few patches (mainly order of the arrow items) that routinely sell for 10,000.00 plus. I mainly collect patches, uniforms, and books. Like baseball cards, most parents (and even their kids) throw these items out believing that there is no value (even today!). Like baseball cards, patches have exploded in value since the early 1980s, and there are even a handful of full time buyers and sellers of boy scout memorabilia. I just hope professional grading is not the next big step for the patch collecting community.
Alan Elefson
aelefson@hotmail.com

Old 07-26-2006, 08:37 AM
Administrator

Posted By: joe brennan

Roseville pottery, original paintings and original prints by Maxfield Parrish.

A scared man can't gamble and a jealous man can't work.

Old 07-26-2006, 08:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

Jazz and Rock LPs (petroleum is getting scarce)

Ancient Tibetan Buddhist manuscripts.

Books in general.

JimB

Old 07-26-2006, 09:14 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rich Klein

1) Radio Air checks -=- preferably from the Top 40 era.

2) Type cards related to my alma mater

3) Type cards related to my birthday.

4) Autographed Books -- this one is starting all over again

5) Hobby publications -- I just picked up a copy of the 1st Charlie Brooks Sports Hobbyist publication from 1956 (along with a hilarious note inside from a noted hobby dealer to a noted book collector)

6) And as I always like to say, most imporantly -- my friends in the hobby that I've acquired over the years

Regards
Rich

Old 07-26-2006, 09:24 AM
Administrator

Posted By: dd

antique paper and cardboard of all kinds, some coins, & beer bottles/labels.

Old 07-26-2006, 10:35 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

I collect boxing memorabilia relating to my cousins who fought in the 1920s and Academy Awards tickets. I've actually scaled back on what I collect due to space and money constraints.

Old 07-26-2006, 11:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

I collect fashion photographs. The below is not a fashion photo (Duke and Duchess
of Windsor and their pug dog), but was photographed for Vogue for a famous
British fashion photographer, Patrick Lichfield.

Old 07-26-2006, 11:52 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

I used to collect Golden and Silver Age comics but sold an immense group on ebay years ago to finance my card collecting. Now, I collect First Edition books, both baseball (complete set of Wilfred McCormick's Bronc Burnett, Rocky McCune, etc. with dustjackets, Clair Bee's Chip Hilton, ditto) and other interesting books. The most prized is a Raymond Chandler first edition, The Long Goodbye, followed closely by Eight Men Out and The Year the Yankees Lost the Pennant, later made in to the play "Damn Yankees."

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Old 07-26-2006, 12:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Gross

I have a very nice collection of Bull Terrier books, and a sampling of Pit Bull books. Here are examples of two:

I did not choose these for their political "incorrectness" but because they are examples of topics recently discussed on this board:

Effect of internet on collecting: The Hogarth book is very rare. When I was actively collecting before the internet I had to go to dog shows or hunt thru old book shops to find books. I bought this book on the internet for 1/5th of what I would have paid "back in the day." Conversely I have BT books that I could not sell on ebay for 1/2 of what I paid in the pre-internet days. Luckily for baseball cards the supply has increased thru the internet, but it has brought more demand into the hobby.

Reprint values: The Armitage is actually a REPRINT. The original was printed in 1935, this was reprinted in 1957 by Pete Sparks. It actually has value because Sparks was a very well known character in the Pit Bull game. If an original was ever sold, it would fetch in the $1,000's. This "Sparks" reprint would go in the $100's, while a non-Sparks reprint can be picked up for ~$20.

Old 07-26-2006, 01:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jP

i used to collect old wrestling magazines mainly pre 1990 you know back in the Bruno samartino, bob backlund days. i collect music online. hehe

Old 07-26-2006, 01:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve M.

pipe in and show us some of his beautiful meteorite collection.

Old 07-26-2006, 02:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: edcara

I've found that to be very true of Ebay as well.

This is a little different, and certainly a less obscure example, but I experienced something similar when I bought a copy of the photographer Weegee's autobiography for $10 on Ebay... the book was going for $100-$150 through book sellers because it was considered a scarce title. Turns out they're not so hard to find after all.

David, what's a starting price for a fashion photo? I've always wanted to dabble.

Old 07-26-2006, 02:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard Masson

Edgar Rice Burroughs first editions or early prints (Tarzan, Mars, etc.), with DJ.
Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew first editions, with DJ.

Old 07-26-2006, 04:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe_G.

A very small collection, but nearly have all 13 available coins from 1887 (a tough year).

penny
3 cent nickel
nickel
dime
quarter
half dollar
silver dollar
$1 gold
$2.50 gold
$3 gold
$5 gold
$10 gold
$20 gold

For reference, the total mintage of the above 13 coins is less than 1% of the total coins minted 100 years later, 1987 (amongst 5 different coins)

Best Regards,
Joe Gonsowski

Old 07-26-2006, 04:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay

Murex sea shells-a type of ornate carnivorous snail

Old 07-26-2006, 05:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: martin dalziel

Baseball related - pre-70's mini bats, old baseballs, game used bats, store bats, catchers masks, trophies, photos, etc.

Other sports - Game worn Hockey jerseys, hockey sticks of certain players, trophies, 70's Coventry City (english soccer) memorabilia, NFL 70's tin trash cans, etc.

Other - Royal Bayreuth figual porcelains, Art Deco ceramics, old photos, pre-80's Reggae 45's, Animation Art, German porcelain Fairings, Steroviews, Religious pictures/prints, Lindbergh items, etc.

Old 07-26-2006, 05:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard Masson

I used to collect ornate, carnivorous girlfriends, but now I'm happily married.

Old 07-26-2006, 08:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff O

Seattle hockey stuff is my primary collecting interest - any era.

It's not often you're lucky enough to run across a program from the first U.S. Stanley Cup championship team, the 1917 Seattle Metropolitans. The amazing thing is that I actually traded it... though I got some incredible Seattle hockey stuff in return, so it was worth it.

Jeff
http://www.seattlehockey.net

Old 07-26-2006, 08:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Jay, I was a Banana Split for Halloween in 1970, I believe. If you have any pics of your stuff I'd love to see it. For the record, I was Bingo.

Old 07-27-2006, 06:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

Primarily Arizona State football, basketball and baseball memoribilia.....programs, media guides, ticket stubs, schedules, jerseys, helmets, pins and anything else Sun Devil related.

Also a little bit of Elvis Costello memoribilia, Tottenham Hotspur programs and other miscellaneous "junk" as my wife puts it.

Old 07-27-2006, 09:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ricky Y

Aside from cards...I have dabbled in BB memorabilia..primarily advertising pieces and a few game used jerseys...I've scaled back some and auctioned a few off...I still have a few favorites left.. including my Spalding Fritsch sign...

Also original Hotwheel cars from 68-77 wheeeeee.....

Ricky

Old 07-29-2006, 01:28 AM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

Answering to the earlier question, fashion photos vary greatly in price,
but I have bought quality originals by famous photographers for $99 to $200.

Hollywood studio photos of movie stars are also a source of quality photos.
The vintage portraits are often of high end quality, and the studios hired
famous photographers. The Hollywood photos are often much like fashion photos
but of movie stars.

For both Hollywood and fashion photos, the famous photographers often stamped
their name on back for easy identification.

Old 07-29-2006, 06:35 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ray

I collect some non-sports cards. I just picked up this set that I've wanted for awhile now (T99 Sights and Scenes of the World).