NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-25-2018, 03:06 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceinGa View Post
I wonder if there are statistics as to the number of bank vaults that have suffered fire, flood and/or earthquake damage.
ALR-bishop, thanks for reminding us of the pitfalls with safe deposit boxes.
I took a box out this week for the first time in lower Manhattan. As I was finalizing the deal the dude casually mentioned that the entire room he walked me through was flooded in Sandy and how although they've added precautions, if he was me and heard a big storm was coming would probably come collect his stuff. Gee, that explains why there was no wait to get a box at this particular bank.
Old 04-25-2018, 03:29 PM
Fr@nk H.0r.v@th

Default Hiding Places...

for those of you with 20mins to kill...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iw-q5k5TIPA

CAMNITZ HAH BACK RUN PROJECT:

T206 Camnitz (HAH) AB 460 / SC Fact 25 and OP / EPDG (Upgrade Needed)

T206 Magee Portrait
T206 Walsh
T206 Joss Portrait
T206 Red Cobb
T206 Shag
T206 E Collins
Old 04-26-2018, 03:34 PM
Ben
ben tay/lor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hxcmilkshake View Post
Fire proof Safe. (I worry more about fire) Closet. Dog. Gun. Not necessarily in that order.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
God only knows how many cards were lost to fire over the decades. Allegedly the only known T206 sheets went in a fire
Old 04-26-2018, 06:07 PM
Bruce Fairchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
I took a box out this week for the first time in lower Manhattan. As I was finalizing the deal the dude casually mentioned that the entire room he walked me through was flooded in Sandy and how although they've added precautions, if he was me and heard a big storm was coming would probably come collect his stuff. Gee, that explains why there was no wait to get a box at this particular bank.
As I rode by my bank yesterday I made a point to see if it was in danger of a flood. To my relief the bank sits on top of a rise, and my box is abut 3' off the floor.
Old 04-27-2018, 07:10 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
I would find another bank box.
Old 04-27-2018, 08:49 AM

Default What about insurance?

Doesn't anyone carry collectible insurance? Wouldn't that cover any loss? I suppose I'm wondering if I'm wasting my money on that insurance.
Old 04-27-2018, 08:51 AM
D.mitr.y D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstef View Post
Doesn't anyone carry collectible insurance? Wouldn't that cover any loss? I suppose I'm wondering if I'm wasting my money on that insurance.
Insurance is an absolute necessity, in addition to the other precautions already discussed in this thread.

In fact, I'd probably put things in this order of importance:

1) Private Insurance
2) Safety Deposit Box (above ground level, and not at a bank that has flooded in the past)
3) Quality Home Safe
4) Home Security System
5) Dog, Gun, etc

Last edited by sterlingfox; 04-27-2018 at 08:55 AM.
Old 04-27-2018, 09:02 AM
Bruce Fairchild

6) A well hidden spot in your house.
Old 04-27-2018, 09:49 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstef View Post
If someone committed a bank robbery and took my safe deposit box it would have sucked, when I had most of the value of my 1st collection there. Other than that I have never bought insurance for my cards. I have enough insurance payments already.
* That all said, I would do whatever helps you sleep best at night.

Old 05-25-2018, 11:03 PM

someone mentioned being worried about a flood at their banks safety deposit box. this is a valid concern.

we put our safety deposit box items in the large 2 or 5 gallon size ziploc type plastic bags. i think they are sold at target and walmart as bags to put clothes in?? or??? i forget exactly. are they water tight? i think so.

a friend lost some important and valuable papers via flood of their banks safety deposit box. they had no protection.

water in banks happens more often then you would think. just because your bank is on a hill doesn't protect you from a broken pipe!! in the building. or a fire that triggers the sprinklers in the buildings.

large plastic zip locks are cheap and easy to use and take up very little space in your box when your items are inside the bag.
good luck