NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-03-2017, 09:51 AM
Paul S

Default wrong slab?

Saw this on eBay and it doesn't look right. Looks like the card is in the wrong size slab. Does PSA do that sometimes? Besides the fact that it looks like the card will slide around in there, I'm wondering if this raises any questions about its authenticity.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sporting life sullivan.jpg (73.1 KB, 340 views)
Old 08-03-2017, 09:55 AM
D/e/@/n H/@/c/k/e/t/t

PSA will use those baggies for cards that are over-sized and don't fit in the standard gasket.

Wanted to add - usually the cards are fairly secure and don't slide around much. But I still don't like them. Good luck!

Last edited by DeanH3; 08-03-2017 at 09:58 AM.
Old 08-03-2017, 10:04 AM
Paul S

What I don't understand is that PSA has slabs that fit these cards. See these, for example
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (78.2 KB, 324 views)
File Type: jpg $_57.jpg (74.5 KB, 320 views)
Old 08-03-2017, 10:15 AM
Jeff

PSA ran out of the correct slabs at the time that card was being graded so they used the next best thing they had on hand.

Always looking for interesting pre-war baseball & hockey postcards!
Old 08-03-2017, 11:30 AM
Dave Foster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb217676 View Post
PSA ran out of the correct slabs at the time that card was being graded so they used the next best thing they had on hand.
Luckily, the "next best thing they had on hand" wasn't a Ziplock
or a paper bag.
Old 08-03-2017, 06:39 PM
Charles
Cha.rles

I have had the very same issue with PSA going back a couple of years now.

The following quote is from their website:
"Please Note - All card/ticket issues vary in size. Occasionally, a card/ticket will not fit into the designated holder. If this occurs, it will be placed in a mylar sleeve and put in an over-sized holder. There are also card/ticket issues that PSA's current holders cannot accommodate. Please call Customer Service for more details."

Although I don't personally like the "look" of the mylar sleeve, I don't have a problem with the aforementioned policy. I realize that they don't have a case that will "fit" every card, especially the uncommon ones. For example; E-120 / E-121 American Caramel, 1979-80 & 1983 Kellogg's, 1968 Topps Baseball Game, etc.

I do have a problem when I know that they have a holder that will "fit" a card, but instead of using that holder; they chose to insert the card into a mylar sleeve and use a holder designed for a larger card. Aesthetically, I think that doing this this ruins the entire presentation.

In April of last year, I submitted several PSA-graded cards to be re-encapsulated in the new (at the time) "tamper-proof" holders. One of these cards was a 1911 Sporting Life Hughie Jennings (1st scan below). When I got it back, it was enclosed inside of a mylar sleeve, in a holder designed for a larger card (2nd scan below). I couldn't understand why, if the original card fit into a holder designed for it (and T-206, etc.), why couldn't it now fit into a new "tamper-proof" holder designed for it. After numerous e-mails back-and forth with the manager, I never received a satisfactory response.

A few months later, I hand-delivered a batch of 13 PSA-graded cards to their Woodbridge, NJ office. I also wanted these cards re-encapsulated in the newer holders. All of these cards were in (old-style) PSA holders that fit them perfectly - none of these cards were enclosed in a mylar sleeve and no mylar sleeves were required. On the submission form, I wrote: "I DO NOT WANT ANY CARD ENCAPSULATED IN A MYLAR SLEEVE. IF THIS IS NON-NEGOTIABLE, PLEASE RETURN THE CARD TO ME (IN ORIGINAL CASE) AND REFUND MY $7.00." These instructions were also verbally reviewed with the PSA representative, who took a highlighter marker and highlighted the aforementioned instructions. I don't think that my request was unreasonable. However, when I received the 13 re-encapsulated cards in the mail, I found that 4 of the cards were enclosed in mylar sleeves; contrary to my written (and verbal) instructions.

After numerous e-mails back-and-forth, this was the final response that I received via e-mail:
"I understand why you dislike the Mylar Sleeves and respectfully saying, I think you have a right to request certain specific, aesthetic arrangements with your cards, to a certain extent........PSA places cards in Mylar Sleeves to preserve the grade of the card if we feel it may shift inside the holder. We have many different types of holders but some cards don’t always fit the dimensions. We are required to do this as our companies work is based on the grading of cards and thus, the preservation of that grade within the holder. With that said, we have the right to place a card in a Mylar Sleeve if we feel it is best for the card. Furthermore, with the volume of cards we encapsulate on a daily basis, it is not always feasible to check the notes left for specific instructions about Mylar Sleeve requests. That department works hard to make sure collectibles are preserved and well-maintained inside our holders per our company policy; it is customer service who attempts to meet your request but our sealing department has their own standards to up-hold. With all due respect, we can no longer meet your written request of the non-negotiable return of cards that need a Mylar Sleeve. Once the cards are graded, they will be put into holders without a second thought........I apologize if this is not understandable or upsetting; it is not my intention to push our customer base away."

I just don't get it. It seems like their competition (SGC) has holders that custom-fit most cards, and looks aesthetically nicer than the mylar sleeve in the larger holder that PSA is so fond of.

I really hate the look of the mylar sleeve inside the holder. Am I the only one that feels this way?

- Charles

Check out my collection..........
http://ImageEvent.com/The_Cardfather

Check out my stuff for sale.........
(Message me for Net54 members direct sale discount.)
https://www.ebay.com/str/thecardfathersstore
Old 08-03-2017, 07:38 PM
D/e/@/n H/@/c/k/e/t/t

I hate the Mylar baggies as well.

One thing I don't get. If they are concerned about a card shifting, then the Mylar baggy in an over-sized holder seems like it would allow for a greater chance of shifting. I know the cards are fairly secure in the baggies, but there should still be more shifting possibility in the baggies. What am I missing?
Old 08-03-2017, 07:57 PM
John

I once sent in a card to be reholdered thinking for sure the card was in the wrong sized holder with mylar sleeve because they had run out of the correct holders on the day it was graded and this would be a chance to correct the issue. It came back the exact same way. Over sized holder, mylar sleeve. In my opinion, had I cracked out, it would have come back how I wanted because its a card from a relatively popular set and there was no issue with the size of the card.
Old 08-03-2017, 08:02 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanH3 View Post
I hate the Mylar baggies as well.

One thing I don't get. If they are concerned about a card shifting, then the Mylar baggy in an over-sized holder seems like it would allow for a greater chance of shifting. I know the cards are fairly secure in the baggies, but there should still be more shifting possibility in the baggies. What am I missing?
Shifting and hitting the hard plastic sides of the holder is way more likely to cause damage than the card just sliding, moving around in a plastic baggie or mylar. The plastic bag provides the cushion.
Old 08-04-2017, 05:22 AM
Lonnie Nagel

We are PSA - and you are not...........