NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 12-31-2016, 08:46 PM
Jack T

Default "Missed it by THAT much"

If you remember the 1960's TV show "Get Smart", you've heard "Missed it by THAT much" said many times by the inept Maxwell Smart whenever he almost did something right.

That's what I thought about when I saw the photo shown below.

As collector's, most of us like to add things of some historical significance to our collections. Depending on our collecting focus and budget, that may mean different things to different people. From the things we enjoy seeing here on N54 some of you have truly amazing historical artifacts from the 19th century onward. Thankfully, there are many things which have some degree of historical significance yet are still very affordable to the average collector.

Then we have the near misses, like the one below. If you've been collecting for a while, you've probably come across memorabilia that for one reason or another is close to being significant...it just "misses by that much". Which of course makes it either insignificant or at best much less desirable.

That's what I would like see in this thread. Show us your items like someone's 499th HR stub, a scored program to some star player's 2nd game, a ticket stub to a 1-hitter, a wire photo or older re-strike of a photo you wish was a Type 1, etc. Maybe you have something that is likely to have historical significance, but is lacking solid provenance. Things that make you say "I'd really have something special here if only..."

And if you have a good story to go with your item, please share that too.

I'll start off with this recent pick-up of a press photo from the Yankees game of 4-17-1951. Mickey Mantle's debut. The only problem is that Mickey is not in the picture!

Old 12-31-2016, 09:57 PM
Doug Goodman

Harmon Killebrew, career HR #2, scored program
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1955-06-26-Senators-Tigers-gm2-scorecard KILLEBREW 002.jpg (83.4 KB, 447 views)

Last edited by doug.goodman; 12-31-2016 at 10:03 PM.
Old 12-31-2016, 10:02 PM
Doug Goodman

Hank Aaron, career HR #701, scored program
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1973-07-31-Braves-Reds-scorecard-AARON 701.jpg (81.2 KB, 446 views)
Old 12-31-2016, 10:18 PM

Default Close, but no cigar...

Here is a ticket stub to Cy Young's historic 1st attempt at becoming the first and only pitcher to win 500 career games.
I love this ticket even though I missed the big milestone by a smidge...

Oh so close!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cy Young's 1st attempt at 500 wins.JPG (69.3 KB, 398 views)
File Type: jpg Cy Young 1909 photo- his last year!.jpg (33.5 KB, 396 views)

Last edited by Scott Garner; 01-01-2017 at 03:22 PM.
Old 12-31-2016, 10:22 PM
Doug Goodman

Willie Mays hit career HR #499 in the same game that saw Ernie Banks hit career HR #401, but I don't have that one scanned.
Old 12-31-2016, 11:11 PM
Jack T

Nice Doug. Thanks for contributing. I knew you would have some good ones to share.
Old 01-01-2017, 07:41 AM

Default No hitters and perfect games lost in the 9th inning or later

Many of you know that I collect tickets to no-hitter games.
This thread really feeds into another collecting theme of mine which is tickets to no-hit and perfect games that were lost in the 9th inning or later. At some point along the way, I thought this might be a fun side collection. At present I have tickets to over 100 games that were oh, so close.

Perhaps the most famous of these games is the Harvey Haddix near-perfect game. Haddix is the 1st and only pitcher to carry a perfect game into the 13th inning, only to lose. Many consider this to be the greatest game ever pitched, which it probably was.

Here is a scan of a rare ticket stub to this game as well as my scored program.
Enjoy! Happy New Year to all at net54.
Old 01-01-2017, 12:03 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
Perhaps the most famous of these games is the Harvey Haddix near-perfect game. Haddix is the 1st and only pitcher to carry a perfect game into the 13th inning, only to lose. Many consider this to be the greatest game ever pitched, which it probably was.

Here is a scan of a rare ticket stub to this game as well as my scored program.
Enjoy! Happy New Year to all at net54.
WOW!!!!!

Scott, that program is amazing. I may start pestering you about working some sort of trade...

The legendary Marichal / Spahn 16 inning duel on July 2, 1963 is the other game that would elicit that sort of response from me.

Amazing program. Congrats.

Doug
Old 01-01-2017, 01:10 PM
Jack T

Default No hitters and perfect games lost in the 9th inning or later

Quote:
Many of you know that I collect tickets to no-hitter games.
This thread really feeds into another collecting theme of mine which is tickets to no-hit and perfect games that were lost in the 9th inning or later. At some point along the way, I thought this might be a fun side collection. At present I have tickets to over 100 games that were oh, so close.
Great stuff Scott. I was thinking of you when I wrote "ticket stubs to 1-hitters" in my OP. Tickets to over 100 "oh so close" games is awesome, as is the Cy Young ticket.
Old 01-01-2017, 04:03 PM
R@nda!! H@hn

When you are a ticket collector you get close a lot!

Early Wynn Win #299

Lefty Grove Win #297

Jimmie Foxx HR #501

Cal Ripken Streak game #2
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img219.jpg (77.7 KB, 321 views)

Baseball's hard. You can love it but it doesn't always love you back. It's like dating a German chick...
Billy Bob Thornton-Bad News Bears
Old 01-01-2017, 10:45 PM
Jack T

Default Mickey Mantle's "last" game

I started this with a press photo from Mickey Mantle's first game. A photo which did not include Mantle.

Here's a program to the last game in which Mickey Mantle was on the active roster. Unfortunately, he did not play in this game! The last game he played in was the day before this.

The game of 9/29/1968. Partially scored.

I also have a program to the next-to-last game in which he played on 9/27/1968

Old 01-02-2017, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.goodman View Post
WOW!!!!!

Scott, that program is amazing. I may start pestering you about working some sort of trade...

The legendary Marichal / Spahn 16 inning duel on July 2, 1963 is the other game that would elicit that sort of response from me.

Amazing program. Congrats.

Doug
Thanks Doug! I would love to find a ticket to this game. BTW, I do have a completely scored scorebook in my personal collection from this game that came from the Lena Pontier collection. Here are some photos of the scorepages.
BTW, I had Juan Marichal sign this. He smiled when he signed it & check out his inscription.
I regret that I didn't get a chance to have Warren Spahn sign it before he passed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Spahn Marichal greatest game ever-1.jpg (76.0 KB, 152 views)
File Type: jpg Spahn Marichal greatest game ever-2.jpg (76.1 KB, 153 views)
File Type: jpg Spahn-Marichal greatest game ever-3.jpg (67.2 KB, 154 views)

Last edited by Scott Garner; 01-03-2017 at 03:49 AM.
Old 01-02-2017, 08:51 AM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Amazing items!!!

I have a program scored from Jackie robinsons first hit BUT 2nd game played!!!!!
Old 01-02-2017, 10:47 AM

This piece is slightly different than what we've seen. It's a scorecard for the "correct" game, but in that game the 1904 Highlanders missed winning the AL pennant by THAT much. This may be the only existing scored program for Jack Chesbro's infamous "wild pitch" game, October 10, 1904.

Old 01-02-2017, 11:34 AM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Thanks Doug! I would love to find a ticket to this game. BTW, I do have a completely scored scorebook in my personal collection from this game that came from the Lena Pontier collection. Here are some photos of the scorepages.
BTW, I had Juan Marichal sign this. He smiled when he signed it & check out his inscription.
I regreat that I didn't get a chance to have Warren Spahn sign it before he passed
Scott, you're killing me.
Old 01-02-2017, 06:42 PM

One of my personal Holy Grail items has been the lineup card to the first Red Sox game I ever attended as a child (June 14, 1989). I've been searching high and low for years and pulled out most stops I can think of. It's basically a needle in a haystack and I've made my peace that getting it will be a longshot, at best. The one from the day before, however, is there for the taking:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/152343390731...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Old 01-02-2017, 06:51 PM
Doug Goodman

Loving those programs. Thanks to Jack and David for theirs.

Still in awe of Scott's posts.

Continuing the trend, here is career HR #2 for Harmon Killebrew from June 26, 1955.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1955-06-26-Senators-Tigers-gm2-scorecard KILLEBREW 002.jpg (83.4 KB, 117 views)
Old 01-02-2017, 06:57 PM
Doug Goodman

2nd career win for Sandy Koufax, Sept 3, 1955
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1955-09-03-Dodgers-Pirates-cover.jpg (74.9 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg 1955-09-03-Dodgers-Pirates-scorecard-KOUFAX 002.jpg (79.2 KB, 117 views)
Old 01-02-2017, 07:13 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphanna25 View Post
One of my personal Holy Grail items has been the lineup card to the first Red Sox game I ever attended as a child (June 14, 1989). I've been searching high and low for years and pulled out most stops I can think of. It's basically a needle in a haystack and I've made my peace that getting it will be a longshot, at best. The one from the day before, however, is there for the taking:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/152343390731...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
If I were you, I would buy that one, maybe when you find the game you want the guy will trade for the one from the day before.

Doug
Old 01-02-2017, 07:17 PM
Doug Goodman

Nolan Ryan, 2nd career appearance, game 1 of the Sept 18, 1966 doubleheader in Houston
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1966-09-18-Astros-Mets-gm1-scorecard-RYAN.jpg (82.0 KB, 114 views)
Old 01-02-2017, 08:20 PM
Jack T

David - I love that Highlanders program. I've haven't seen many. Cool to see a heart breaker like that one.

Doug - Keep 'em coming!

aphanna25 - I agree with Doug...buy that one. At least you'll have a personal "missed by that much" item. Never give up on the real deal.
Thanks for posting; it reminded me of my first game. I wish I could remember the date, but it was Mets vs Pirates in 1967.
Old 01-02-2017, 10:25 PM

Even funnier, I suppose, with the "missed it by that much" theme is the item is located in the town abutting where I live. So I can buy the card the day before my Holy Grail, from the town right next door. You can't make this stuff up.
Old 01-03-2017, 08:10 AM
Jimmy Knowle$

Not a big time ticket collector, but I do have a full ticket from what was supposed to be the first game at Miller Park, Opening Day 2000. Then the terrible accident happened.
I also have one from the actual first game, Opening Day a year later.

I also have a ticket from the first game played at Turner Field. An exhibition against the Yankees, March 1997.
Old 01-03-2017, 10:08 PM
Jack T

This is not as near a miss as the others, but I wanted to include this one.

I showed the program for "Mickey Mantle's last game" at Fenway Park, which was actually the Yankees last game of 1968, but Mantle did not play. In fact, according to "The Last Boy", he wasn't even in the ball park that day.

So it is ironic that this faux "Ted Williams last game" item would be for Boston's last game of the 1960 season at Yankee Stadium. A game in which Williams did not play, and was not even at the stadium.

I happen to like Opening Day and last game of the year tickets. Of course, I know I would not have been able to buy this for a few dollars if it really was Williams' last game.
Old 01-07-2017, 08:41 PM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

I have a ticket from what was scheduled to be the first night game at the present Yankee Stadium (the building without a soul which was built on parkland stolen from the neighborhood).

Unfortunately, the game was not played because of weather... but that makes this a ticket to the first game to be rained out at the facility.