NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-23-2015, 03:59 PM
Br.ent !ngr@m
Br.ent Ing@am

Default A request for anyone that ships cards

Please, please, please STOP wrapping the cards with clear tape.

Painters tape does the same task. It's easier to work with when securing the cards and easier to work with when opening the cards.

It works!

Imagine this scenario........

You are anxiously awaiting for a card to arrive. It finally arrives and you can't wait to see it, hold it, or do whatever you do with your cards.

You open the padded envelope or box.
And there it is, the card you've been waiting for. No, not yet. The seller took care and sandwiched it between some cardboard (that's a good thing). But it's wrapped with tape that can only be removed with a razor blade. So you cut open the cardboard sandwich taking great care to not damage the card.

And there it is. No, not yet. There is another layer of tape to get through. The card is in a sealable bag (that's a good thing). But the seller took extra caution and wrapped the sealable bag with tape that needs the a razor blade to get through. It helps if you have the hands of a surgeon at this point (this is overkill).

And there it is! No, not yet. Possibly there are some top loaders around the card which are covered with that damn tape that requires a razor blade. If the cards are in penny sleeves at this point, take extreme care with the razor. This is when those years at medical school and the years as an intern come in handy. One slip and you could cut something you didn't want to. Like your finger or worse! The card.
And there it is! No, not yet the seller used some tape to seal the top loader that holds the card. Reach for the razor blade AGAIN and make the incision. If it's a large card like a 52-56 Topps, take extreme care because there are millimeters between the card and the blade.

And there it is! Yes, 10 minutes later you have your card.

It doesn't have to be that way! PLEASE use some painters tape and we can leave the razor blades in the drawer.
Old 06-23-2015, 04:22 PM
Bob Donaldson

Good point!
Old 06-23-2015, 04:32 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

last I checked, painters tape is more expensive compared to packing tape. I agree with you 100%, but if my card arrives well packaged and undamaged, I guess I could't care less what type of tape a seller uses.

...and yes, I always have a box cutter around
Old 06-23-2015, 04:36 PM

I have a box full of clear tape that politely declines your request
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 06-23-2015, 04:58 PM
Larry More.y

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor912 View Post
last I checked, painters tape is more expensive compared to packing tape. I agree with you 100%, but if my card arrives well packaged and undamaged, I guess I could't care less what type of tape a seller uses.

+1, there are many things I could complain about how a seller ships a card, but as long as the card(s) arrive safe, I am satisfied as the seller has met a key obligation of safe delivery.

Last edited by savedfrommyspokes; 06-23-2015 at 04:59 PM.
Old 06-23-2015, 05:00 PM
J3ff Thr0m

I wrap the card(s) in a sandwich baggie and tape it closed with clear tape. 2 pieces of cardboard held together with painters tape.....and that's it.
Old 06-23-2015, 05:43 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

Most times it is double sided cardboard, then wrapped with either bubble wrap or newspaper i have laying around to pad the box. Then maybe add a few peanut if necessary. But i do use clear tape (only) to tape the 2 cardboard pieces together. I know some guys use a rubberband and some use clear tape on the bubble wrap.
Old 06-23-2015, 06:04 PM

The clear I use pulls away from the bubble wrap very easily...

"I ALSO CREATE LITTLE PULL HANDLES
BY FOLDING OVER ABOUT 1/2 INCH OF THE END OF THE TAPE"

That is... when I wrap items in bubble wrap!

Cards, I NEVER send iN Just Bubble mailers...
ALWAYS iN a Bubble Mailer with some PoPCorN
& THeN iNta a USPS Priority BoX...

oH... I haven't seen a RaZoR Blade Since me Da was alive...
Some 50 Years Ago!

CaN Ya EveN Still buy thos?
Maybe ya using a Carpet CuttiN Blade?
& Thos Don't EveN BeLong iN the Same Room
As my E90-1's, BiG Ed's oR Matty's...

(*So... I NoW Invoke Rule #1 )
Old 06-23-2015, 06:10 PM
Mike

I hear that that Bocabirdman uses Blue Painter's Tape for his Top Loader Sandwiches. What a Guy!

Last edited by Bocabirdman; 06-23-2015 at 06:10 PM.
Old 06-23-2015, 07:04 PM
Sean Sullivan

Default Hahaha

That is so true.

I can't even count the number of times I have had my entire surgical team standing by to extract my cards from the mailbox.
Old 06-23-2015, 07:11 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bocabirdman View Post
I hear that that Bocabirdman uses Blue Painter's Tape for his Top Loader Sandwiches. What a Guy!
Painter's tape also works well on door and window frames and base boards when painting walls.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 06-23-2015, 07:16 PM
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
Painter's tape also works well on door and window frames and base boards when painting walls.
Frank, I suppose you use Duct Tape on Ducts, too.
Old 06-23-2015, 07:31 PM
Keith
ke.ith tem.ple

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
Painter's tape is perfect for taping up cane rod blanks prior to glue-up. Would not dream of using "scotch tape". In fact, I can never find the clear invisible stuff, except on the packing materials on cards I have bought!
...whatever I want
Old 06-24-2015, 12:20 PM
S Gross

Brent, I'm with you. I have had packages from well meaning sellers that had enough tape to have kept the Titanic afloat !!!!

My goal when shipping is to use as little tape as possible, and in most cases NO tape at all: Card between to pieces of cardboard, wrapped in sheet of paper (either correspondence or packing slip), then right into bubble mailer.

If you're afraid that a card might slip out of a card saver, then use a post-note folded around top opening.

Duct tape for Ducts ???????? Never heard of such a thing
Old 06-24-2015, 12:23 PM
J0$H B^ck!ey

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewing View Post
Please, please, please STOP wrapping the cards with clear tape.

Painters tape does the same task. It's easier to work with when securing the cards and easier to work with when opening the cards.

It works!

Imagine this scenario........

You are anxiously awaiting for a card to arrive. It finally arrives and you can't wait to see it, hold it, or do whatever you do with your cards.

You open the padded envelope or box.
And there it is, the card you've been waiting for. No, not yet. The seller took care and sandwiched it between some cardboard (that's a good thing). But it's wrapped with tape that can only be removed with a razor blade. So you cut open the cardboard sandwich taking great care to not damage the card.

And there it is. No, not yet. There is another layer of tape to get through. The card is in a sealable bag (that's a good thing). But the seller took extra caution and wrapped the sealable bag with tape that needs the a razor blade to get through. It helps if you have the hands of a surgeon at this point (this is overkill).

And there it is! No, not yet. Possibly there are some top loaders around the card which are covered with that damn tape that requires a razor blade. If the cards are in penny sleeves at this point, take extreme care with the razor. This is when those years at medical school and the years as an intern come in handy. One slip and you could cut something you didn't want to. Like your finger or worse! The card.
And there it is! No, not yet the seller used some tape to seal the top loader that holds the card. Reach for the razor blade AGAIN and make the incision. If it's a large card like a 52-56 Topps, take extreme care because there are millimeters between the card and the blade.

And there it is! Yes, 10 minutes later you have your card.

It doesn't have to be that way! PLEASE use some painters tape and we can leave the razor blades in the drawer.
You had me at clear tape
22/39 Unique Backs 56%
80/86 Minors 93%
25/48 Southern Leaguers 52%
6/10 Billy Sullivan back run 60%

237PSA / 94 SGC / 98 RAW

Excel spreadsheets only $5
T3, T201, T202, T204, T205, T206, T207, 1914 CJ, 1915 CJ, Topps 1952-1979, and more!!!!

Checklists sold (20)

T205 8/208 3.8%
Old 06-25-2015, 06:26 AM
Eric
Eric

Default Been here

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDfan View Post
That is so true.

I can't even count the number of times I have had my entire surgical team standing by to extract my cards from the mailbox.
Sometimes I have to call in an extra assistant to wipe the sweat off my forehead and then, lo and behold, the toploader itself is wrapped in clear tape. #@$%! Now I have to surgically excise the card from the toploader and find a new toploader. Yes, it gets a bit excessive, but I guess it beats a damaged card by a few thousand light years. And fortunately I have a great team
Old 06-26-2015, 09:02 PM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

Agree!
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 06-26-2015, 09:27 PM
Mike M.

Ha ha, I just received a card that was pretty much just a ball of tape and it made me think of this thread. I honestly wonder what people are thinking when they pack cards this way? They pretty much just packed it in bubble wrap and then wound tape around it in every direction until it was covering every inch of the bubble wrap.
Old 06-26-2015, 09:48 PM
Jeff P0tter

Here is my latest shipping chuckle. Last week I received an autographed baseball in the mail, it was a $450 ball. It was in a cube, however this is the box it was thrown in. A huge box, with an unused role of bubble wrap inside. No packing peanuts, nothing else. The cube was just bouncing around in it. No idea what they were thinking. To top it off, they sent it express mail, which was $46, and not necessary at all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (67.5 KB, 108 views)
Old 06-27-2015, 04:32 AM
Lonnie Nagel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bocabirdman View Post
Frank, I suppose you use Duct Tape on Ducts, too.
Duck tape is for your Ducks
Old 06-27-2015, 06:40 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor912 View Post

+1

When I receive a flat item between cardboard, carefully taped around the edges, I am very happy. I get out my box cutter and remove it. Very simple.

If you don't have a box cutter, get one - they come in very handy for lots of things around the house. Given that the entire world is not going to move to painters tape, even if your campaign is 99% successful (which it won't be), they will continue to come in handy for the rest of your life.

Last edited by Runscott; 06-27-2015 at 06:40 PM.
Old 06-27-2015, 07:54 PM

My guess is some of these shippers must have a lot of stock in 3M and figure if they wrap each card in 3 feet of tape the price of 3M stock might go up?

I really hate the less than $10 kind of cards that take 5 minutes to get out of the tape tomb they are in.