NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 12-08-2010, 09:23 PM

Default Book Prices in Mastro Auction

The other side of the board was commenting on the price of the Ty Cobb dust jacket, but I was more amazed by the prices for the large book lots 334 and 335 . Am I missing something-- who is paying 5 and 6K for groups of mostly 10-20 dollar books. I know there are a couple of nice books in each lot- but who wants all of the common modern stuff???

Last edited by Jason19th; 12-08-2010 at 09:24 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-09-2010, 05:02 AM
Barry Sloate

The pictures make the lots look interesting. It's possible the winner thinks that all the books will be of that quality.
Old 12-09-2010, 01:52 PM
Max Weder

Barry

I agree with the point that the book presentation makes the lots attractive.

The closed book lots are no longer up on the auction, so I can't be sure what was in each.

There were some titles that would be attractive, such as the Cash Messner if in very nice shape.

The first lot would have been quite intertesting in some of the original dust jackets had been present (McGraw, Thirty Years, Evers, etc). I'm not sure how much a Branch Rickey signature on American in Action adds to the lot.

If I recall the second lot correctly, the only hard to find book was the Moe Berg biography by his sister, which is hard to find in nice shape as it's perfect bound. However, that book wouldn't send me into a bidding frenzy like Busting Em in dj.

It reminds me how I am consistently amazed at how few booksellers put scans of their books on the used book sites such as ABE. I looked again today and put in for a book (offered in Legendary) that didn't have a scan, but the description of which was similar to one of the Legendary titles, albeit at a lower sale price (not Busting em, alas). I guess I'll see whether it was a bargain when the book arrives.

Since the closed book lots aren't up, does anyone know what Harris's Playing the Game (Grosset) sold for? (not the book I bought)

Max
Old 12-10-2010, 05:48 AM
Barry Sloate

Taking an overall view, I thought the book prices were solid and most fell within a range I would have guessed. The Bustin Em was of course off the charts, but most books fell within a +/- 20% range of what I would have predicted. The Richter inscribed to Ruppert was too cheap and I was tempted to put in another bid but didn't. I won only the Peverelly, not because I needed it but because I have never seen one sell that cheap- $1000 with the juice, and when you deduct $75-100 for the presentation box, more like $900. That is likely a record low. But most of the books in the $300-600 range did well, and their condition was a big plus.

Last edited by barrysloate; 12-10-2010 at 05:58 AM.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:57 AM
Max Weder

The Grosset playing the game went for $900(!) with the juice. To me, that is far more surprising than the Ty Cobb Busting Em. The Harris book is by no means rare, and the Grosset edition in dust jacket is probably the most common non-fiction baseball dust jacket of the 1920s. The Stokes first edition dust jacket (different image) seems harder to find and harder to find in nice shape, due to the white paper of the dj.

I didn't even see that the Richter was inscribed to Ruppert. However, I just received my catalog for the November Legendary auction two days ago, and I suspect my catalog for this auction will arrive in a few weeks.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:33 AM
Barry Sloate

I wasn't familiar with the Playing the Game dustjacket, but I think what you might have in a situation like that are bidders who think something is very rare, when in fact it isn't. That's just an example of a lack of necessary information for that lot. I thought it was a tough dj myself, so it's a good thing I didn't bid on it.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:45 AM
Max Weder

Barry

I have a duplicate dj of Harris that I'm willing to sell for $850
Old 12-10-2010, 11:59 AM
Barry Sloate

Something tells me I should pass...and how come we are the only ones who participate on these book threads (along with Jason). Where are the legions of book collectors hiding?

Last edited by barrysloate; 12-10-2010 at 12:00 PM.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:27 PM
Max Weder

Barry

As for the Harris duplicate, if I was selling it, it would of course be much less. However, since it is so rare, I am holding it hostage for trade from the legion of book collectors who lurk silently on net54 and have other treasure to trade.
Old 12-10-2010, 01:21 PM
Mike Dugan

I wound up sitting on my hands watching the prices. I am not a seasoned auction veteran but I realized very quickly that things were getting out of hand, especially on the two big lots.

I received a phone call from a friend in Ft. Worth that was selling many of his baseball titles. We met in Mt. Pleasent yesterday and I brought home 162 books much to the joy of my saintly wife.

Not any great titles but great reading! This kind of ties in with the "bird in the hand" thread htat had been running.

Barry my Harris book without jacket looks better all the time.
Old 12-10-2010, 01:51 PM
Max Weder

(Mike: Tom bigtrain I'm sure will pipe in, as Barry realizes there are actually five people here interested in books.)

I've looked over the prices again. While the Harris price is high, the 1951 History of the National League in dj at $330 is a shocker to me at least.

The book is ubiquituous without dust jacket, and there are many copies of it in dust jacket. I know I have passed on it in stores at $30 with dj; I still probably would.

Lot 335 puzzles me again. I know if I listed all of those books on ebay (and I would willingly do this if I got the Legendary price), I'd probably get $300, and have the buyer force me to include shipping. If The Natural had been a first edition, there would of course be considerable value, but I'm at a loss to explain it otherwise.

Max
Old 12-10-2010, 02:15 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Naples TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Springs Bathers View Post
I wound up sitting on my hands watching the prices. I am not a seasoned auction veteran but I realized very quickly that things were getting out of hand, especially on the two big lots.

I received a phone call from a friend in Ft. Worth that was selling many of his baseball titles. We met in Mt. Pleasent yesterday and I brought home 162 books much to the joy of my saintly wife.

Not any great titles but great reading! This kind of ties in with the "bird in the hand" thread htat had been running.

Barry my Harris book without jacket looks better all the time.
I travel through Mt.Pleasant fairly often. My wife and her whole brood of relatives is from Naples TX, home of the world famous Watermelon Festival and about 18 miles from Mt.Pleasant, on HWY 67. I can't believe I see "Mt.Pleasant" mentioned on the board. That hits quite close to home. regards
Old 12-10-2010, 03:29 PM
Mike Dugan

Fellows the Segar National League book is just one of the great surprises in the auction. I think we need to compliment the auction house for their presentation of the books.

I actually say this with a strong twinge of regret. I have really enjoyed collecting baseball books for years and what great fun it is to find an older title with jacket under $20 and usually under $10. I am afraid this may signal a trend upward in prices. Great for the booksellers out there but no fun for us buyers.

Saying this, I have never had any qualms about paying $$$ for the tougher titles pre-50 or a nice Putnam Orioles etc... But I will hesitate to pay $$$ for many of the 50s & 60s titles such as in the two bigger lots.

I may have to turn to my other area of interest, baseball films. I picked up 9 new DVDs in our deal this week. I am now at just over 700 films. I am working on a project to issue a guide with a photo of the vhs/DVD and a synopsis. I hope to have it ready by Summer. During a SABR event Rich K. saw a smalll portion of my books but did see much of my film library. You will probably understand, during most days much of both are in stacks on the floor but if my wife knows guests will be around I have to hide much of it in closets and the storage room!

Leon, my friend Jay and I chose Mt. Pleasent as a nice halfway point between Ft. Worth and Hot Springs. Another friend joined us there for a wonderful 4 hours. We should have gone the 16 miles up the road to Mt. Vernon to pay our respects to the memory of Dandy Don Meredith. The third member of our party used to live in the same Dallas apartment complex as Dandy Don so he had some wonderful stories to tell. The Mt. Pleasent/Mt. Vernon area is really nice and has turned out some great athletes over the years.
Old 12-10-2010, 03:36 PM
Mike Dugan

With what amounted to a whine above let me add that if any of you want to really swim with the sharks start collecting older golf books! Whoa, it makes moves into the Wagner, Plank area in a hurry!
Old 12-10-2010, 05:44 PM
Max Weder

Mike

I have lots of duplicate books. Some are listed here Duplicate Book list on flickr

I have dozens and dozens more of 1950/60s/70s books which will be available cheaply. If there are any particular titles you're looking for, let me know

Max
Old 12-10-2010, 07:38 PM
Scott Gaynor

I don't think that you can really apply the prices in this auction to future sales. There was a premium on alot of lots based on the collection and the fact that there was alot of great material in this auction to generate interest.

On the first night of the Halper sale, a Joe Dimaggio baseball signed with his full name sold for over $10,000. In any other auction, at that time, the ball was worth $500 (at best).

Scott
https://www.ebay.com/sch/estate-find...1&_ipg=&_from=

Find my monthly auctions on auctionninja
https://www.auctionninja.com/gaynors-fine-consignments/
Old 12-11-2010, 07:34 AM
Max Weder

An ad for Busting Em from the publisher

Old 12-22-2010, 08:55 AM
Max Weder

Here's a copy of Harris, Baseball How to Play It, that I picked up from the on-line booksellers post-Legendary (I've also posted it in December pickups). It had been listed without a scan for about six years, with no takers.

The Mastro copy is also pictured here

Last edited by baseballart; 12-22-2010 at 09:55 AM.