NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-03-2007, 07:32 PM
Administrator

Default Hall of Famer Orlando Cepeda arrested on suspicion of drug possession

Posted By: Neal

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AonkCTblmJiUA7785sNIQD4RvLYF?slug=ap-cepedaarrested&prov=ap&type=lgns

Old 05-03-2007, 07:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Old habits die hard.

Old 05-03-2007, 08:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike

69 years old with drugs in his car. What a pathetic loser. No excusees are good enough. I imagine he will come up with something however.

Old 05-03-2007, 08:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: mart quinn

pete rose cant get in, wich is probably right, but should a player have his plaque taked away when he does this stuff??? so what he was voted in before, daddy who is that guy? ain't that the guy i seen on tv that was caught with the bad stuff you told me not to ever do?? dad is that him?

Old 05-03-2007, 09:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brad

Yeah that's to bad, he should know better, but who am I to Judge!

Old 05-04-2007, 12:49 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dylan

So the man has a drug problem, lets villafy(spell?) him and take away his accomplishments as a baseball player? Sure he should know better, but this an issue unrelated to baseball IMO. Just because someones a great player doesnt mean their a role model. I hate when people use the "what about the kids" crap everytime a celebrity does something wrong.

Old 05-04-2007, 04:00 AM
Administrator

Posted By: howard

Since Cepeda went around talking to children about the dangers of drugs I'd say that a "what about the kids" response is appropriate in this case.

Old 05-04-2007, 05:17 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Just for argument's sake, why is Cepeda in the HOF and a drug user, but Mark McGwire is not in the HOF and was a different kind of drug user? Possible double standard? Or is it simply too late to kick Cepeda's sorry butt out?

Old 05-04-2007, 05:55 AM
Administrator

So he's a hypocrite. Let he who hasn't sinned throw the first stone. You bet on baseball games while playing/managing them, I understand no HOF. Performance enhancing drugs that effect your baseball abilities, i understand no HOF. 70 yr old man smokin a joint, dont understand what that has to do with baseball.

Old 05-04-2007, 07:14 AM
Administrator

The fact that he was a baseball player, has nothing to do with the fact that I called him a loser. To me it doesn't matter whether he was, Secretary of State, my garbage man, a womans shoe salesman, or the local Priest. His profession is irrelevant, he's 69 with drugs in his car? I'd feel the same way if it was my grandpa. And I can assure you my grandpa wasn't a druggie. I've always thought druggies were losers. If someone disagrees with me. I have no problem with that. That's just me. back to baseball..

Old 05-04-2007, 07:22 AM
Administrator

Posted By: judson hamlin

Was he hanging out with Ferris Fain?

Old 05-04-2007, 07:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve f

Dylan, I will give you that tokin' a spleef ain't a biggee. Though you must agree, the meth or coke added in ups the ante a wee bit. Oh yeah, and he is a ex-con. Sorry to say, he should kiss the baby on this one.

Old 05-04-2007, 07:34 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

From experience I can safely say that not all crimes are the same. With the literally 200 lawyers that visit this board I feel confident in saying what I just did. If he got caught with a few joints of pot this wouldn't be as big of a deal (though still illegal and against the law). The syringe and white powder does take it to another level, legally. I cast the first stone and it fell right square on my head... ....I hope this "blows" over for him (pun intended) and he gets help if he needs it. I have to give some more thought to the issue of this tarnishing his HOF status. It certainly doesn't help it but I am not sure it should be taken away, yet, if ever....I would need to contemplate that some more....regards....btw, what's a hippies favorite part of the anatomy? "ear".....

Old 05-04-2007, 07:44 AM
Administrator

I don't feel it should affect his HOF status. His ability to play baseball, and his personal life are two different issues. If we kept out everyone who wasn't perfect in all aspects of their lives, we'd have about 2 guys in the HOF. Simply because we are all human, and we all make mistakes and do dumb things. He belongs in the hall, and he also belongs in jail. Two different deals.

Old 05-04-2007, 09:05 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob

maybe i'll get lit up for this but ...

so what ... they found drugs in his car. Was he distributing them to little kids? Was he driving while under the influence of drugs? No, so who cares. Sure, he could be doing better stuff with his time/money, but so could many of us.

And obviously this shouldn't have anything to do with his HOF status.

Old 05-04-2007, 09:19 AM
Administrator

Rob, uhm....it's against the Law?

Old 05-04-2007, 09:33 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Drug users do not belong in jail anymore than alcoholics belong in jail. And that's as far OT as I'm going to go on this.

Old 05-04-2007, 09:42 AM
Administrator

Can't top that one Dan. Meth, crack, heroin and Coke are illegal. Budweiser isn't.

Old 05-04-2007, 10:10 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Fred C

Come on now... did everyone read the story... it was MEDICAL marijuana for a relative... the police officer didn't smell the burning odor of marijuana after he was pulled over... now for that white powdery substance, it hasn't been proven to be anything. For all we know it could be from a packet of sweet-n-low that was spilled. Orlando's lawyer says he's innocent and it's all a misunederstanding. I'm sure that the REAL story will come out soon. Remember, Orlando has been working with kids to discourage them from drug use. I'm sure he'll try and discourage his diabetic relative from the use of that medical marijuana in some type of relative outreach. It's a HUGE misunderstanding... give Orlando's lawyer time to straighten it out and have Orlando tell the REAL story.

Old 05-04-2007, 10:20 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

"If the glove won't fit you must acquit." Cepeda knew, got busted, and his lawyer will probably get him out of it. Seriously now, if I am driving with dope in my car I know about it....to say otherwise is only trying to not be "found" guilty, (which I would do too)...

Old 05-04-2007, 10:21 AM
Administrator

Posted By: peter chao

It's tough being a Giant's fan and having the Baby Bull mess up like this, but it's still probably nothing compared to the conduct of Barry Bonds.

Also, I spent almost an entire day with Orlando when he was at a card show, he was an autograph guest and wasn't paid by the promoter. Without doubt a friendly and nice guy, perhaps he's a black sheep of the Giant's family but still very much part of the Giant's family and the glory days of Mays, McCovey, and Marichal.

Peter

Old 05-04-2007, 10:46 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Russ Bright

Being a recovering drug addict and alcoholic, I can tell you firsthand that addiction is an absolute bitch. If you have never FELT your life slip away in the grasp of an addictive substance (more alcohol related deaths than ALL uncontrolled substances combined) I don't think you can properly judge.

Having read the article, it sounds like a bunch of Lawyer BS hiding the fact that Orlando has a real problem. People of star status tend to get "special treatment" by a bunch of codependant employees, which ends up hurting them much worse in the end. If you're surrounded by a bunch of yes men that make excuses for you, you will never get help.

I hope this helps Orlando, and he gets the help that the needs and deserves. Addicts aren't bad people, they're sick, they have a disease and need help. Sometimes it takes going to hell to realize that you have a problem.

And sometimes people never recover, I see people die from this disease all the time, and it's sad. Especially sad to see someone like this who COULD get help from this situation but probably won't...

my 2 cents,

R

Old 05-04-2007, 10:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Cobby33

I think most everyone deserves a second chance- whether one is a celeb/athlete or whomever.

I also think the biggest issue here is that he had been lecturing kids on the perils of drugs, etc. Seems a bit hypocritical.

And no wonder those Cha Cha Bowls are so good!

Old 05-04-2007, 11:10 AM
Administrator

No one has said addicts are bad people. One of the nicest, smartest, most talented people I have ever known, literally drank themselves to death, and was dead at 45. I loved that individual. And "boy" do I mean drink. The spouse found it all over the house. No one has said that addicts don't deserve help, or a tiny bit of sympathy. He had drugs in his car. (That is Illegal, how many times do I have to say that.) Smoking a little weed on his backyard deck, under the moon light is one thing, having drugs in your car, after having been in trouble once before, deserves little sympathy. For God sakes, the guy 69 years old. And yes, I have known many alcholics, and I know the damage that can be done, to both property and people. The issue here isn't addiction, it is illegalities.

Old 05-04-2007, 12:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Larry

A lot of things are illegal that shouldn't be. I don't let big brother do my thinking for me. The prison industry is big business for big brother. Maybe they can outlaw cigarettes and alcohol next, so there will be more cheap prison labor for all the million dollar corporations that don't want to outsource to Asia.

Old 05-04-2007, 01:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

It would seem prudent to wait for more information before passing judgment on Cepeda personally. California allows prescription marijuana for certain medical purposes, and Cepeda's lawyer said that drug was owned by a family member with diabetes. Diabetes often causes eye problems, including blindness, and marijuana is used to treat eye problems. A syringe was found, but people with diabetes typically have syringes to inject themselves with insulin. As far as the white powder goes, it appears the police have yet to identify what it is.

Just seems to be limited information so far to already convict someone.

Old 05-04-2007, 01:14 PM
Administrator

Quite an intelligent paragraph Larry. I guess nothing more need be said.

Old 05-04-2007, 01:21 PM
Administrator

Guys,

I'm tired of politics and philosophy, why can't we go back to discussing real earth-shaking topics like the war between slabheads and puritans.

Peter

Old 05-04-2007, 01:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Cobby33

Not sure whether the statement re: prisons was facetious, but the tax dollars the State (at least in CA) uses to fund prisons is grossly-disproportinately higher than the revenue generated from the cheap jeans the cons make.

Old 05-04-2007, 01:34 PM
Administrator

Cobby,

Believe it or not there was a time in ancient China when prisons weren't needed, however, I'm not sure if you want to find out how they avoided having prisons.

Peter

Old 05-04-2007, 02:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: shane Leonard

LMAO- I love stories like this. The guy works with kids to keep them away from drugs and he gets busted for a third time. Makes me sick when these attorneys come out saying that the Mary J is his aunts because of an illnesses. I can't explain the cocaine, but in the end Cepeda will be cleared of all charges. LUDICROUS!!!
69 year old waste-hope your grandchilden are proud of you and the legacy that you will leave them.

Old 05-04-2007, 02:09 PM
Administrator

Guys,

It's kind of gross, so I will modify my comments for this forum.
The Chinese used to not only punish the individual that violated the law, but they would also punish the immediate family.

So in Cepeda's situation they would not only punish Cepeda, they also punished his family.

So basically, if you had a black sheep in the family, everybody would keep a real careful eye on the guy to make sure he didn't violate any law otherwise they might end up being punished also.

The system worked remarkably well because families became extremely supportive of their black sheep. Also, the black sheep would also be more careful since he knew that his wife and others would also be punished.

Peter

Old 05-04-2007, 04:54 PM
Administrator

Okay Guys,

I've recieved an e-mail asking me about the gross part of the above post. I suppose it's late enough in the day where I can tell you guys.

The Chinese also made the punishment to fit the crime. So if you were caught stealing, they would cut off your hand. They would do the same to members of your family.

With that severe of a penalty, I imagine that the crime rate was pretty low.

Peter

Old 05-04-2007, 05:01 PM
Administrator

So Peter- what would they do if you were caught committing adultery?

Old 05-04-2007, 05:11 PM
Administrator

Barry,

Your a trouble maker, you always come up with the unanswerable question.

Peter

Old 05-04-2007, 05:18 PM
Administrator

I actually stole that joke from an old SNL sketch: "Theodoric of York, Medieval Barber", with Steve Martin and John Belushi. Not original material

Old 05-04-2007, 08:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Justin

I don't think a player should be removed from the hall of fame under pretty much any circumstances, and certainly not for personal or legal issues. If O.J. can stay in Canton, O.C. should definitely stay in Cooperstown.

He was voted in with full knowledge of his past(namely being arrested and serving prison time for drug related offenses), so the fact that he has currently faltered is a moot point.

Old 05-04-2007, 08:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Alan

Alright you guys... Leon recently said to eliminate many of these O/T threads... Now lets get back to talking about cards...

Old 05-04-2007, 10:48 PM
Administrator

Alan,

Forget about the Moderator Dude, he's just captain of the traffic boys...

Peter

Old 05-04-2007, 11:29 PM
Administrator

Does anyone else NOT feel that taking away HOF status from a player due to off the field issues wouldn't open pandoras box?? If you take away HOF status from one player due to moral or legal issues suddenly you could hear debate to take away HOF status for practically any of the players that are enshrined. Very few, if any, were saints, and some of the greatest that ever played were actually quite unsavory charactors, to put it lightly

Old 05-05-2007, 10:47 AM
Administrator

Dylan,

Traditionally, the Hall of Fame's moral character requirement has been quite lax, as long as it remains that way Orlando Cepeda actions are reprehensible but still above the standard.

Also, once enshrined, the HOF has never removed an individual. There's no reason why they should start doing that now. Remember it's a Hall of Fame, not a Hall of Goody Two-Shoes.

Peter

Old 05-05-2007, 06:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: B.C.Daniels

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQOB2_Q_AuM&mode=related&search=

BcD

Old 05-05-2007, 08:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ken McMillan

kick him out of the hall and replace him with someone that should be in. Ron Santo would be my suggestion.

Old 05-05-2007, 08:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jon Canfield

If we are about to kick people out for their off-the-field antics / problems, do we take Cobb out (to just name one "high profile" and unquestionably deserving hall of famer)? After all, he was a racist, choked a woman, tried stabbing another, and often go into fights. I personally agree with the others that say, once in, they stay in.

Old 05-06-2007, 09:41 AM
Administrator

Posted By: B.C.Daniels

and all Democrats as well should be booted!

BcD