NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-14-2005, 06:09 AM
Administrator

Default wire photos

Posted By: scott

i hope this thread is not out of line with the forum.i have the chance to buy a 1930's original wire photo of christy mathewson with the original news description on the back.the photo is from the early part of his career.i love the item but have no experience with buying photos.without seeing the photo(its in VG condition),do those of you with experience feel $100 is too steep a price?i know its tough for you to judge sight unseen and i guess what it comes down to is that i like the item.

thanks for any help on this,
scott

Old 08-14-2005, 06:25 AM
Administrator

Default wire photos

Posted By: Richard Simon

A 1930's wire photo of Christy Mathewson, from the early part of his career, is NOT an original wire photo. It is either printed from a copy negative or was printed after the fact from the original negative.

I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.
Unknown author
--
We made a promise. We swore we'd always remember.
No retreat baby, no surrender.
The Boss

Old 08-14-2005, 06:28 AM
Administrator

Default wire photos

thanks richard for the info. dealer misinformation...saved me a $100.

thanks,
scott

Old 08-14-2005, 06:49 AM
Administrator

Default wire photos

Posted By: scgaynor

You can have an original wire photo from the 1930s that pictures Christy Mathewson from the early part of his career. The wire photo is original, but an earlier image was used. I have a similar piece on ebay right now that ends today (Sunday). It is a wire photo from 1938, but it pictures Mathewson from the 1st decade of the 20th century.

Scott

Old 08-14-2005, 07:37 AM
Administrator

Default wire photos

Posted By: leon

This kind of question is considered off topic and is perfectly ok to ask about as a board participant. regards

Old 08-14-2005, 11:43 AM
Administrator

Default wire photos

Posted By: davidcycleback

News services sometimes made photos with earlier images (ala 1950 photo showing Ruth in 1919). Though they are not original and as valuable, they were official and made in limited numbers.

Due in part to his early Death, Mathewson is scarce photo wise. An old but later generation press photo of Mathewson would have some value. If the photo is indeed fromm the 1930s and the image is nice, $100 off hand sounds like a buyable price. It's important, though, to be confident that the photo is from the period mentioned. Meaning, if it turns out to be from the 1960s, it would be worth less. Though if you aren't certain of the age but the photo has an official stamp or caption on back you can at least be confident the photo is official.

For perspective, I once sold a 1950s-60s UPI photo of Mathewson pitching in the 1910s (with official UPI stamp on back) for $50. That's a comment on the scarcity of Mathewson photos and that even much later news service photos are still collectable. A high quality original 1900s or 1910s news service photo of Mathewson in a MastroNet auction will often sell in the high hundreds or over one thousand dollars.

Old 08-14-2005, 04:33 PM
Administrator

Default wire photos

thanks for the info.the dealer was a card dealer local who had no vintage at all(just stopped in to get a scd),and i saw it among the shiny cards.it looked nice but red flags were all over.i'm not knowledgable on the subject so i 'm going to pass.by the way scott i saw your matty on ebay..very nice.short on $$ right now unfortunately.

thanks again for info.
scott

Old 08-14-2005, 04:48 PM
Administrator

Default wire photos

Posted By: Julie Vognar

original--the photo has to be copied for the newspaper, but
they can still be interestiung, and a good buy. Here's a Gandil, with the 1926 story about Gandil saying how the White Sox ---to a man--paid a pitcher to pitch a certain way to a team in 1917, and another of Alexander being sort of held up by the Dean brothers...

(Gandil was playing for Chico--California--at the time; notice how the insignia on his hat--or SOMETHING--has been removed, and replaced by lines...)