NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 11-21-2018, 09:22 AM
Mark

Default Need advice on trading my entire vintage card collection

Seeking thoughts from the realm here.

My card collection consists of complete sets. I have every Topps base set 1951-2019 (save for 52 high numbers), Bowman sets 1948-1955, plus other sets (Fleer, Post etc)

My plan has always been to leave these sets for my son when I die, but I have several concerns, not the least of which the difficulty that a non collector would have in selling the sets for the best dollar. A dealer would likely give just 60% of what a savvy person could sell them for on their own. Since my son is not a collector, selling to a dealer would be his best path.

Lately I've considered an alternative. I've thought about trading the sets I have now for a few key graded cards. Something like a PSA graded 1952 Topps Mantle, a PSA graded 1933 Goudey Ruth maybe a Gehrig or a Cobb somewhere and whatever else I can get for the collection. Basically I'd be turning my 100 set collection into about a dozen key cards.

Doing this would certainly make them lot easier to sell for my son. I can get a lot better deal for my collection now doing that as well. When he sells them he can get a lot better deal by selling them to collectors rather than dealers.

Would any of you consider trading away your lifetime collection for such an arrangement? As much as it would pain me to see my collection leave my hands while I'm still around it seems to be a prudent idea.

Last edited by darkhorse9; 11-21-2018 at 11:34 AM.
Old 11-21-2018, 09:39 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

There are a lot of factors to consider. Doing what you are thinking about will make it easier for an heir to take care of it after your demise. A long time ago I made the decision to collect more mid grade to accumulate more cards. You are just doing sort of the opposite. As long as you get enjoyment from what you are doing, why not? And then too, how attached are you to the sets you have built?
Old 11-21-2018, 09:43 AM
Glen R. Turner, Jr.

Default Whole collection....

Sounds like a good plan. I am 69 years old and have been
contemplating doing the same thing. Just keep a few cards
out of my collection that means a lot to me which would
probably be a few thousand. ...lol....
Good luck in your endeaver and decision.
Old 11-21-2018, 10:21 AM
D.an Jackso.n

Mark, since they are complete sets you might consider consigning them to someone like Greg Morris Cards on Ebay. He typically gets top dollar for set breaks and it might be a lot easier simply purchasing a card like a 52 Mantle as opposed to negotiating a trade for one.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?item...iscards&_sop=1

Last edited by stlcardsfan; 11-21-2018 at 10:44 AM.
Old 11-21-2018, 10:22 AM
Garth Guibord

That's a junction in the road that many, if not all, collectors will come to. And finding the right balance of keeping what you have collected and the consideration of what would be best for your heir can be tough.
It strikes me that maybe there is an answer in between trading everything or keeping it all. First, even if your son is not a collector, there may be a set you have that he may want to keep (your first, your favorite, his birth year, etc.). While inheriting 50+ sets can be a burden for a non-collector, having one set that was nearest and dearest might be a great keepsake. You could then trade the remainder for some key cards in the hobby that would be easier to sell.
In the end, getting on the same page with your son about your collection - whether that's giving him enough info to be able to sell it all when he inherits it or even understanding that he doesn't want to deal with it and it would be better for you to handle it before then - would be a very productive step in the process.
Old 11-21-2018, 06:28 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

I like what Dan suggested. Not necessarily selling to Greg Morris (have no opinion either way), but the general theory. Have someone else do the legwork and you can walk away with a pretty decent penny, allowing you to purchase the big cards you seek. Trading is always a very tough row to hoe, and trying to trade very valuable things for other valuable things is probably going to turn into a nightmare, especially since your 'target audience' is going to be exceptionally thin.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 11-22-2018, 07:45 AM
David Buckingham

Mark,

I am 67 years old and have a collection much like yours. I've been trying to thin it out over the last few years by selling all sets after 1957. My son says it would be easier if he were left just several graded star cards.

I agree with the others that trading might not be wise. If you're trading with a dealer, the dealer will get the best of the deal. I agree with consigning to Greg Morris or PWCC and then taking the proceeds to buy graded vintage superstar cards.

David
Old 11-22-2018, 12:00 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I'm only 53 but wanted to cut down the volume of my collection. What I decided to do was get rid of the bulk and replace it with cards I always liked and wanted to own. Not necessarily marquee cards, either. Start with a list of the cards you want. If you don't want to bust up the sets and do the eBay selling, which is where you will net the most, I'd say consign to LOTG. I did with much of my exhibit card sets. Al did very well by my sets. Then buy the cards you really want to own. To wit:

Having a more limited volume of cards is very liberating.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 11-22-2018 at 12:04 PM.
Old 11-22-2018, 01:36 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlcardsfan View Post
Mark, since they are complete sets you might consider consigning them to someone like Greg Morris Cards on Ebay. He typically gets top dollar for set breaks and it might be a lot easier simply purchasing a card like a 52 Mantle as opposed to negotiating a trade for one.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?item...iscards&_sop=1
I agree with this gentleman 100%....plus take your time buying a super nice key card. No need to rush.
Old 11-22-2018, 09:24 PM
Al Richter

Adam— really like the Connors card. Great athlete. Remember reading about him discussing Branch Rickey, saying Mr Rickey had money and he had ballplayers, and did not like them being comingled
Old 11-24-2018, 10:37 AM
Steve

I ponder much the same issues every day: Wondering what the best course would be to follow in disposing of the collection. The thought that usually wins out is assuming that I will be able to control the disposition somehow after my demise and hoping that in the spirit realm I will no longer suffer from the obsessive need to hoard stuff.
Al - if I were a ballplayer, I think I would very much dislike owners and executives comingling with the money paid by fans to see me play.
Old 11-28-2018, 03:01 PM
J0hn Collin$

Interesting reading, as I ponder my continued failed efforts to be any type of set collector. This is bad timing, as officially I am back in the mode of going after a few ('67 Topps has been this year's theme) right now - but if I'm being candid - we'll see how long that lasts.

I'm 41, and besides my volumuous boxes of wax junk-era crap from my childhood that I can't bear to get rid of, the bulk of my collection that I really care about lives on one shelf in my closet. These are stacks of toploaders and a dozen or so more expensive graded vintage cards that I'm really into. I have 2 daughters (currently 12 and 8...) and besides having succesfully made them both into Chicago Cubs fans, I doubt they will ever seriously be interested in baseball cards. These posts make a good case to stick with a smaller collection of the few things that you are really into, and while I don't think of myself as "old" yet...things are certainly not going in the other direction.

Last edited by jchcollins; 11-28-2018 at 03:02 PM.
Old 11-28-2018, 04:57 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
Interesting reading, as I ponder my continued failed efforts to be any type of set collector. This is bad timing, as officially I am back in the mode of going after a few ('67 Topps has been this year's theme) right now - but if I'm being candid - we'll see how long that lasts.

I'm 41, and besides my volumuous boxes of wax junk-era crap from my childhood that I can't bear to get rid of, the bulk of my collection that I really care about lives on one shelf in my closet. These are stacks of toploaders and a dozen or so more expensive graded vintage cards that I'm really into. I have 2 daughters (currently 12 and 8...) and besides having succesfully made them both into Chicago Cubs fans, I doubt they will ever seriously be interested in baseball cards. These posts make a good case to stick with a smaller collection of the few things that you are really into, and while I don't think of myself as "old" yet...things are certainly not going in the other direction.
John, we could be brothers in every respect....except the Cub part.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 11-28-2018, 05:03 PM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagebaseballcardguy View Post
John, we could be brothers in every respect....except the Cub part.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Ha!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-28-2018, 07:46 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Speaking of junk wax, John, I just purchased a collection that was 80% 1990s junk. I told the disappointed seller that I wouldn't pay him for it because I did not see any actual value there but I would haul it away for him and see if I could trade it to my local card store. My LCS didn't want to trade for it and didn't even want it for free as a toss-in with the cards I did trade them. I ended up putting 50# of shiny crap into the recycling last week.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 11-28-2018, 10:59 PM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Speaking of junk wax, John, I just purchased a collection that was 80% 1990s junk. I told the disappointed seller that I wouldn't pay him for it because I did not see any actual value there but I would haul it away for him and see if I could trade it to my local card store. My LCS didn't want to trade for it and didn't even want it for free as a toss-in with the cards I did trade them. I ended up putting 50# of shiny crap into the recycling last week.
I wish I could have all the $ I spent as a teenager on wax back now to buy vintage...
Old 12-02-2018, 04:21 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

Adam,

That Chuck Connors is awesome! I never knew the Rifleman had a baseball card. That's one of my favorite old shows too. Thanks for sharing that man.

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 12-03-2018, 07:49 AM
T0dd M@rcum

FWIW, full sets are as readily liquidatable as star cards if you do them as a clump and not try to break them up. Granted, there is a "full set" discount in most situations, but that's equally true if you trade them for a ruth/cobb. Outside of a few monster cards, it's hard to trade for something you know will be a home run.
Old 12-08-2018, 09:37 AM
Dan Youngblood
Da,n Young.blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
I'm only 53 but wanted to cut down the volume of my collection. What I decided to do was get rid of the bulk and replace it with cards I always liked and wanted to own. Not necessarily marquee cards, either. Start with a list of the cards you want. If you don't want to bust up the sets and do the eBay selling, which is where you will net the most, I'd say consign to LOTG. I did with much of my exhibit card sets. Al did very well by my sets. Then buy the cards you really want to own. To wit:

Having a more limited volume of cards is very liberating.
At the age of 35 I realized my collecting habits weren't getting me anywhere. At the time I was not a believer in graded yet (around 2004 or so) and had mountains of "junk wax" all over the place. That's when I decided I needed a real focus and began collecting 1978 Topps in minimum PSA 9 grade. My pockets aren't deep enough to chase older vintage and I had a habit of collecting as many new children as I did cards lol. Anyway, so I purged the mountains of firewood I had and what a thrill it was to chase the best set of my childhood in high grade. So that's what my collection centers on. 1978 Topps. This will never be truly finished as I am slowly upgrading to PSA 10's but it's finished enough to feel a great accomplishment. I can now go after other graded endeavors although it won't be another monster complete set. So, yes it was very liberating to get out from underneath all of that junk (late 80's early 90's) which I had no idea what to do with.

Last edited by toad strangler; 12-08-2018 at 09:38 AM.