NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-24-2016, 09:31 AM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

Default Ruth- Fake Flip or PSA error?

So is the flip fake or did psa make a huge error?

Or im i wrong in saying these are basicly the same immage

IMG_0167.JPG

IMG_0035.JPG
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.

Last edited by EvilKing00; 12-24-2016 at 09:35 AM.
Old 12-24-2016, 09:41 AM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

Its been discussed here on the board before:
http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...+champion+ruth
Ping Bodie, Sam Rice
Old 12-24-2016, 09:43 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Same image I'd say . . . but I guess it could have been copied by some dude who then proceeded to call it Babe Ruth.
Old 12-24-2016, 09:44 AM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawpawdiv9 View Post
Its been discussed here on the board before:
http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...+champion+ruth
Ahhh must of missed the thread! Ty

Wait! I posted in the thread! Wow my mind is going omg
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.

Last edited by EvilKing00; 12-24-2016 at 09:46 AM.
Old 12-25-2016, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Ahhh must of missed the thread! Ty

Wait! I posted in the thread! Wow my mind is going omg
Welcome to the club!
Old 12-25-2016, 09:13 AM
Robert Klevens

Seems once again PSA is not interested in facts. I once sent a Tweet to Joe Orlando about a mistake and he blocked me.

http://www.psacard.com/cardfacts/bas...be-ruth/358037
Old 12-25-2016, 11:31 PM
Bob Davies

Quote:
Originally Posted by prestigecollectibles View Post
Seems once again PSA is not interested in facts. I once sent a Tweet to Joe Orlando about a mistake and he blocked me.

Wow. Pretty rational and open minded of him, isn't it?
Old 12-26-2016, 06:22 AM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

Quote:

Wow they have graded 9 of those so far. Thats crazy! has anyone alreated them to the fact that it isnt babe ruth? If not someone should.

Last edited by EvilKing00; 12-26-2016 at 01:03 PM.
Old 12-26-2016, 06:29 AM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

Wow! Look at this! Shouldnt psa hold some responsibility for this mess up ? At least to issue a recall lol or amend their website? Some buyers paid way too much for the card.

IMG_2600.jpg

Last edited by EvilKing00; 12-26-2016 at 06:33 AM.
Old 12-26-2016, 07:50 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

PSA obviously doesn't care. We are just a board that has drama and doesn't like them (says at least one of our members on their board). What do we know? I feel bad for the lemmings that buy them though.....And the guy selling his on ebay (below) is fraudulent. He and I had a long back and forth conversation in emails, I showed him the link, the pictures and everything. He said, well, if PSA says it's Ruth then that is good enough for me. I laughed....What an effing idiot.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1917-Youths-...kAAOSwe7BW0dFV

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilKing00 View Post
Wow! Look at this! Shouldnt psa hold some responsibility for this mess up ? At least to issue a recall lol or amend their website? Some buyers paid way too much for the card.

Attachment 255577
Old 12-26-2016, 12:21 PM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

Thats crazy, BVG grading it marquard, and an image proving its marquard but psa slabs it ruth. Glad i didnt buy one. Ugh

Last edited by EvilKing00; 12-26-2016 at 12:22 PM.
Old 12-27-2016, 06:58 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampsfan View Post
Wow. Pretty rational and open minded of him, isn't it?
With all due respect..a pm, email or private call might have been a better way of pointing out a "mistake" rather than a public tweet/social media.

It looks like the same image to me. As stated, the likeness could have been used to portray the babe though(possible). I would never buy as Ruth though.

Btw.. hi Robert. Pick up any good Ruth/gehrig tour photos?

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection

Last edited by Forever Young; 12-27-2016 at 06:59 PM.
Old 12-28-2016, 09:23 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Please don't make excuses for mistakes. It was never and will never be Ruth, not even close, when compared to the Marquard (*exact same) image. The seller has known it's NOT Ruth for a LONG time. No excuse for PSA on this one or the seller. PSA should correct their mistake. There is my half cent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Young View Post
With all due respect..a pm, email or private call might have been a better way of pointing out a "mistake" rather than a public tweet/social media.

It looks like the same image to me. As stated, the likeness could have been used to portray the babe though(possible). I would never buy as Ruth though.

Btw.. hi Robert. Pick up any good Ruth/gehrig tour photos?

Last edited by Leon; 12-28-2016 at 09:24 AM.
Old 12-28-2016, 09:36 AM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

Theres another on ebay asking $495 giving out info that it may be babe or rube with some info. At least they are presenting bith sides. This guy at 5k is trying tomsucker someobe with his discription. Sad, hope hes not a board member

Old 12-28-2016, 09:40 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Theres another on ebay asking $495 giving out info that it may be babe or rube with some info. At least they are presenting bith sides. This guy at 5k is trying tomsucker someobe with his discription. Sad, hope hes not a board member
The problem is there isn't 2 sides. And I wouldn't let that seller be a member here. If I know, firsthand, someone is committing fraud I don't think they should be on this board.
Old 12-28-2016, 09:43 AM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
The problem is there isn't 2 sides. And I wouldn't let that seller be a member here. If I know, firsthand, someone is committing fraud I don't think they should be on this board.
Agree with u 100% that isnt ruth, when i said 2 sides i mean psa opinion and then the facts. Psa should fix their mistake as there was and will b buyers getting scamed out of hard earnen money.

Old 12-28-2016, 10:25 AM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

1917marquard.jpg

Not that psa needs more proof but Heres heratige auction image and discription of a lot they sold, rube is mentioned in discription ruth isnt.

1910's - 1930's Baseball and Non-Sports Stamp Collection (60+ Items). Collecting insert cards wasn't just an American pastime. The hobby was thriving in the European market as was the pastime of collecting stamps. Offered is a collection of over 50 mostly sports related stamps and an album with an emphasis on baseball. There are some amazing illustrations found and it is no wonder why stamps are often called mini works of art. The age of the collection ranges from 1909 to 1939 with the overwhelming majority being from 1910-1920. Highlights include stamps featuring Frank Baker, Eddie Collins, Tris Speaker, Heinie Wagner, Walter Johnson, Connie Mack and Rube Marquard. Just some of the sets represented include T332 Helmar, Boston Red Sox, Eureka, Memphis Railroad, Piedmont Art, Pritchard Publishing, Art Stamp League of America Album, Eureka College, Hinds Hand Cream, Kodachrome, Postaco, "The Youth's Companion," rare anonymous issues and Baseball Centennial plus others. Please see our web site for a detailed list of the contents of this collection.

Last edited by EvilKing00; 12-28-2016 at 10:38 AM.
Old 01-11-2017, 06:59 AM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

I sent a message to an ebay seller inforiming him that this stamp isnt ruth a few weeks ago.

Simply saying "Just an fyi that isnt babe ruth"

I just received his angry and very guilty response. ( i wonder if hes a board member)

New message from: gemsacresofdiamonds (981Purple Star)

"WHO made you the authority on BABE RUTH CARDS? Where are your credentials....and how many cards have YOU PROFESSIONALLY, NATIONALLY GRADED under what COMPANY NAME? Because PSA disagrees with you, but for some reason you want to CLING to the controversy started by those NOT IN THE KNOW. Very interesting...but unsatisfying. As a person that OWNS, 1 of every 69 SETS LISTED AT PSA...one of the foremost buyers of collectibles on the planet..WE DISAGREE. We stand behind the LEADERS in SPORTS CARD GRADING. When you have graded MILLIONS OF COLLECTIBLES and have a REAL COMPANY that is RESPECTED and ADMIRED all over the world..then come back to us...for enlightenment.

Oh, yeah, before you start SGC is a second rate company that failed and had to sell out their company to PSA! Now, many believe, that SGC is the company people send cards to that are not going to grade very high with PSA standards. This is why they send cards to SGC...trying to get BETTER GRADES...and better prices for garbage. But, the public is wise....and DISCOUNTS those cards...and IF they find a good one...guess what they do?
THEY SEND IT TO PSA...to take out of an SGC capsule...and put into a PSA...because your best collectors only build PSA sets..and SGC cards do not go into those sets. So, if you happen to believe in second rate choices and grassy knoll theories...good luckk to you.

unreal...shame on you.."

I did Just respond.

Your showing your ignorance. I was only trying to help u. I dont care . I wouldnt say im an authority but i have a huge ruth collection. Hes 50% of all i collect. Bvg grades that card as rube marquard. Also the original image of that stamp is known and is rube. Sgc has nothing to do with it lol. Its just a fact. I can send u the original image if u want. Again this isnt personal i was just trying to inform.

Lol he quickly attacked me again...

Personally...anyone that knows ANYTHING..does NOT buy BVG....that is crap! But, you tend to believe in crap. You are not informing me of anything but your own ignorance in the business. Don't lose your first job.

Your own words...well, I am not claiming to be an authority...YES< YOU ARE! If I were a lawyer and had you on the witness stand...your argument which is specious at best would be ripped apart. Please, don't try to EDUCATE professionals with a 40 year buying and selling history of collectibles about the latest and greatest controversy. I have seen the MARQUARD card..and though similar...I mean what can you do with two WHITE GUYS, WITHOUT GLASSES THAT BOTH PITCHED LEFTY....but, it is different....put them side by side...they are different. But, I don't care about the controversy...I only care about PROFESSIONAL OPINIONS BY THOSE IN THE KNOW>>>PSA< THE LEADERS IN SPORTS CARD GRADING...not people sure the world is flat...but are not authorities on the subject.

It is not my ignorance you need to worry about...find a life and good luck. We don't need your HELP.

Again, respectfully...lose the BVG CARDS...they are crap! NOBODY will pay any real money for them.

Why, you buy BVG...when you could buy PSA QUALITY STANDARDS...is because...you can't afford them.
And you want me....to accept your arguments of what QUALITY STANDARDS are all about. good luck with that>..DON'T WRITE BACK.

It may help your sense of accomplishment in telling all your friends how you have BABE RUTH Cards...but take a look at them...are they centered...truly PSA 9's, WHITE BORDERS or creased...ripped...pieces missing...we know the answer. off centered...those cards were sold...in hopes of finding...
a sucker...and guess what...find a mirror. I have no problem with educating YOU...to help you save thousands in the future before you get baptized
by finding out the truth of all the crap you buy.

Grassy knoll theories by NON EXPERTS. Don't waste my time.

Rofl sounds like this guy is #1 in the bag for psa and #2 knows that the stamp isnt ruth. Sad when our hobby comes to this foolishness and fraud

Last edited by EvilKing00; 01-11-2017 at 07:18 AM.
Old 01-11-2017, 07:24 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Is that Gizmo with the caps key turned off? Seriously, I think it is the same jackwad I communicated with. You could hit them in the face with facts and he won't believe it. It is almost hard to believe there are people in such denial AFTER being shown. Maybe he got duped buying that Marquard instead of "Ruth", because of PSA's mistake, and he is just mad at himself?

Quote:
I sent a message to an ebay seller inforiming him that this stamp isnt ruth a few weeks ago.

Simply saying "Just an fyi that isnt babe ruth"

I just received his angry and very guilty response. ( i wonder if hes a board member)

New message from: gemsacresofdiamonds (981Purple Star)

"WHO made you the authority on BABE RUTH CARDS? Where are your credentials....and how many cards have YOU PROFESSIONALLY, NATIONALLY GRADED under what COMPANY NAME? Because PSA disagrees with you, but for some reason you want to CLING to the controversy started by those NOT IN THE KNOW. Very interesting...but unsatisfying. As a person that OWNS, 1 of every 69 SETS LISTED AT PSA...one of the foremost buyers of collectibles on the planet..WE DISAGREE. We stand behind the LEADERS in SPORTS CARD GRADING. When you have graded MILLIONS OF COLLECTIBLES and have a REAL COMPANY that is RESPECTED and ADMIRED all over the world..then come back to us...for enlightenment.

Oh, yeah, before you start SGC is a second rate company that failed and had to sell out their company to PSA! Now, many believe, that SGC is the company people send cards to that are not going to grade very high with PSA standards. This is why they send cards to SGC...trying to get BETTER GRADES...and better prices for garbage. But, the public is wise....and DISCOUNTS those cards...and IF they find a good one...guess what they do?
THEY SEND IT TO PSA...to take out of an SGC capsule...and put into a PSA...because your best collectors only build PSA sets..and SGC cards do not go into those sets. So, if you happen to believe in second rate choices and grassy knoll theories...good luckk to you.

unreal...shame on you.."

I did Just respond.

Your showing your ignorance. I was only trying to help u. I dont care . I wouldnt say im an authority but i have a huge ruth collection. Hes 50% of all i collect. Bvg grades that card as rube marquard. Also the original image of that stamp is known and is rube. Sgc has nothing to do with it lol. Its just a fact. I can send u the original image if u want. Again this isnt personal i was just trying to inform.

Lol he quickly attacked me again...

Personally...anyone that knows ANYTHING..does NOT buy BVG....that is crap! But, you tend to believe in crap. You are not informing me of anything but your own ignorance in the business. Don't lose your first job.

Your own words...well, I am not claiming to be an authority...YES< YOU ARE! If I were a lawyer and had you on the witness stand...your argument which is specious at best would be ripped apart. Please, don't try to EDUCATE professionals with a 40 year buying and selling history of collectibles about the latest and greatest controversy. I have seen the MARQUARD card..and though similar...I mean what can you do with two WHITE GUYS, WITHOUT GLASSES THAT BOTH PITCHED LEFTY....but, it is different....put them side by side...they are different. But, I don't care about the controversy...I only care about PROFESSIONAL OPINIONS BY THOSE IN THE KNOW>>>PSA< THE LEADERS IN SPORTS CARD GRADING...not people sure the world is flat...but are not authorities on the subject.

It is not my ignorance you need to worry about...find a life and good luck. We don't need your HELP.

Again, respectfully...lose the BVG CARDS...they are crap! NOBODY will pay any real money for them.

Why, you buy BVG...when you could buy PSA QUALITY STANDARDS...is because...you can't afford them.
And you want me....to accept your arguments of what QUALITY STANDARDS are all about. good luck with that>..DON'T WRITE BACK.

It may help your sense of accomplishment in telling all your friends how you have BABE RUTH Cards...but take a look at them...are they centered...truly PSA 9's, WHITE BORDERS or creased...ripped...pieces missing...we know the answer. off centered...those cards were sold...in hopes of finding...
a sucker...and guess what...find a mirror. I have no problem with educating YOU...to help you save thousands in the future before you get baptized
by finding out the truth of all the crap you buy.

Grassy knoll theories by NON EXPERTS. Don't waste my time.

Rofl sounds like this guy is #1 in the bag for psa and #2 knows that the stamp isnt ruth. Sad when our hobby comes to this foolishness and fraud
Old 01-11-2017, 07:33 AM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

Yea your prob right. He bought it thinking it was ruth, realized the issue and now trying to get his money back by screwing someone else.

I did find it a bit overboard how he praised and bowed down to PSA though. Strange....

I own psa, sgc, and bvg cards sure i have preferances but im not making a shrine to one of them lol

Last edited by EvilKing00; 01-11-2017 at 07:35 AM.
Old 01-11-2017, 07:37 AM
Peter Spaeth

I may have missed this but what does "Image of Babe Ruth" mean?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:22 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

You think that's bad?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 47371_950x1601.jpg (78.2 KB, 468 views)
Old 01-11-2017, 09:10 AM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwinbulldog View Post
You think that's bad?
Whats the issue with this card?

Old 01-11-2017, 09:47 AM
Peter Spaeth

People have claimed that the guy in the pic is too skinny to be Ruth. Or that on close inspection it doesn't really appear to be him. At the same time, people have pointed out that Ruth was in So. Cal. around the same time as the swimmer so there might well be a pic of the two of them.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 01-11-2017 at 09:50 AM.
Old 01-11-2017, 11:17 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

An anonymous source tells me the PSA database has been changed to the stamp being Marquard. PSA did the right thing and should be commended. I take back everything I said. Actually, I think PSA is not unlike a lot of other big companies and this time they seem to have made it right. Thanks to Joe O. and team.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:46 PM
Rob G.

Quote:
An anonymous source tells me the PSA database has been changed to the stamp being Marquard. PSA did the right thing and should be commended. I take back everything I said. Actually, I think PSA is not unlike a lot of other big companies and this time they seem to have made it right. Thanks to Joe O. and team.
EvilKing00, if you reply to the seller with this new info, please let us know how it goes
Old 01-11-2017, 05:33 PM
Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger8mush View Post
EvilKing00, if you reply to the seller with this new info, please let us know how it goes
Agreed. I had a good laugh reading his reply.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 01-11-2017, 06:07 PM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

Quote:
Is there a link to this change? Id love to send it to him, lol

Or maybe a screen shot of it?

Last edited by EvilKing00; 01-11-2017 at 06:41 PM.
Old 01-11-2017, 06:44 PM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

Wow i just found it!

http://www.psacard.com/cert/21031377/

Old 01-11-2017, 06:47 PM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

So i sent my final reply:

Did you know PSA corrected their mistake? If u go to their site and type in the psa number it comes up as rube marquard. Heres the link but feel free to domit your self.

http://www.psacard.com/cert/21031377/

I looked up another http://www.psacard.com/cert/17445948/

Looks like leon's source was right.

Last edited by EvilKing00; 01-11-2017 at 08:58 PM.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:15 PM
Robert Klevens

It looks like he increased his BIN price to $7900
Old 01-11-2017, 08:28 PM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

Quote:
It looks like he increased his BIN price to $7900
Lol crazy

Old 01-11-2017, 09:02 PM
Robert Klevens

Maybe he raised the price to try and get more from PSA by having them pay him for it.

Quote:
Lol crazy
Old 01-12-2017, 07:19 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Here is the stamp pictured on his website. The site really tells you all you need to know about this individual....and more. He might want to take a course on ethics if you ask me. I don't think his higher price will help him with PSA, at least I hope not.

http://www.moffattspianoandkeyboardm...ggsresume.html

Old 01-12-2017, 10:00 AM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

Quote:
Here is the stamp pictured on his website. The site really tells you all you need to know about this individual....and more. He might want to take a course on ethics if you ask me. I don't think his higher price will help him with PSA, at least I hope not.

omfg...

as i am a real estate broker i can say this hopefully without hurting anyone elses feelings

he puts this on his resume ... "Passed the Connecticut Real Estate Agent and Connecticut Real Estate Broker's Examinations" lmao who cares, lol so did i. The tests were not a big deal. Its actually doing the job thats the hard part.

Old 01-12-2017, 10:35 AM
Sean Costello

From his site: "The difference between success and failure is often just one more try."

Apparently he's taking his own advice in his attempt to unload this card.

Last edited by Sean; 01-12-2017 at 11:22 AM.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:54 AM
Bill Avery

I like this one:

Regarding school grades..."Achievement" --- starts with an "A"....
"Failure" --- starts with an "F!" - GEM

Fantastic starts with an F and Awful starts with an A, so what's his point. Like Bad starts with a B, Crap starts with a C, I could do these all day if I wanted to. But he is a real GEM.

Bill Avery
Old 01-12-2017, 11:10 AM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Quote:

And effective website design as well.
Old 01-12-2017, 11:19 AM
Brian clif.ford

"True success often begins...with a DREAM!" GEM

Dude has a dream.
Old 01-12-2017, 12:18 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Quote:

OMG, he sounds just like a reincarnation of the infamous Alan Hagar. Where is Dennis Purdy when we need him.
Old 01-13-2017, 07:49 AM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

So i have not heard back from the rude seller since i sent him the PSA (who he loves & trusts so much) link with the corrected rube marquard in the info for the reg number

Old 01-14-2017, 04:10 PM
Matthew Glidden

Well, now that PSA won't flip them as "Babe Ruth" anymore, he's clearly got a low pop example.... $7900 = bargain! ;-)

Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest-running on-line collecting club. Find us at oldbaseball.com.
Old 01-22-2017, 08:39 AM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwinbulldog View Post
You think that's bad?
just saw this and thought of this conversation -

Ruth looks skinny in this pic as well

ruth olimp.jpg

Seller has this discription:

This is an authentic and original photo that came from an estate of Wyman W. Lewis from Lakewood, Ohio. At the time, he was a young man that wrote to various college and Olympic swimmers requesting their autographs.

This photo is dated August 3, 1935, and features Babe Ruth towering over two young swimmers that qualified and participated in several Olympic Games. The first is Cornelia "Corky" Gilissen. She qualified for the US Olympic team as a platform diver snd participated in the 1936 Olympic Games. She is the one that signed the back of the photo.

The man on the right is Michael Riley Galitzen, also known as Mickey Riley. He was an American diver who won four total medals, one gold, at the 1928 Summer Olympics and 1932 Summer Olympics.

Last edited by EvilKing00; 01-22-2017 at 08:53 AM.
Old 01-22-2017, 11:43 AM
Rhett Yeakley

Quote:

How did I miss this thread? That website is the greatest thing I have seen in a long time!!!

"People really should quote themselves more often!" -RMY (2017)

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562

Last edited by rhettyeakley; 01-22-2017 at 11:44 AM.
Old 01-22-2017, 01:22 PM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhettyeakley View Post
How did I miss this thread? That website is the greatest thing I have seen in a long time!!!

"People really should quote themselves more often!" -RMY (2017)
"Nobody tries to swim... holding an umbrella." WTF does that mean?
Old 10-16-2018, 12:04 AM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

Well, it looks like PSA is still mislabeling the 1917 Youth's Companion Rube Marquard, as Babe Ruth. Here's one in an upcoming Heritage auction:

https://sports.ha.com/itm/baseball/1...umbnail-071515

Steve

Current Wantlist:
1909 Obak Howard (Los Angeles) (no frame on back)
1910 E90-2 Gibson, Hyatt, Maddox
Old 10-16-2018, 05:15 AM
Glyn Parson

The example in heritage is not in the newest holder/flip combo but in the exact style that was being issued when this thread was started so this is not proof of anything but that they made this error in the past. Not sure if they still are or not but this example in heritage does not prove they still are making this mistake. See they no longer make this error good for PSA.

Last edited by glynparson; 10-21-2018 at 05:02 AM.
Old 10-16-2018, 05:24 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

In fact, by looking up the Cert #, PSA has corrected it on their end:
https://www.psacard.com/cert/24819256/

ITEM INFORMATION
Certification Number 24819256
Label Type Hologram*
Reverse Cert Number/Barcode No
Year 1917
Brand YOUTH'S COMPANION STAMPS
Sport BASEBALL CARDS
Card Number
Player RUBE MARQUARD
Variety/Pedigree STAMPS
Grade EX-MT 6

However, this card would need to be sent in for reholdering. The auction house should probably be notified that they're selling a mislabeled card. They could get it reholdered for the consignor for free as a mechanical error and then sell it properly.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 10-16-2018, 10:38 AM
Scott Russell

I have a bigger issue with Heritage listing it the way they have.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 10-16-2018, 11:35 AM

The Heritage listing says

"years ago this was thought to feature an image of Babe Ruth but has since been proven to be Rube Marquard"

They are not representing it as a Ruth they are telling you flat out its Rube Marquard