NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 03-01-2012, 02:36 AM
Mich@el K. Tr0tnic

Default March Pick-Ups

I've never seen this Sardine baseball box before but thought it was pretty neat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sardine Box 001.jpg (76.2 KB, 836 views)
File Type: jpg Sardine Box 003.jpg (76.1 KB, 834 views)

Last edited by ruth-gehrig; 03-01-2012 at 03:02 AM.
Old 03-01-2012, 03:34 AM
Mike H.

Default New Figural Piece

I'm very happy to have added this figural I've been after for years. It was manufactured in the 20s and 30s and is often found on trophy bases by the Wilson Sporting goods company. It's a heavy bronze piece that is 12 1/2" tall and weighs over 5 lbs. I've always appreciated these figurals for their size combined with fine detail and overall execution by the artist. Many call it the "Walter Johnson trophy". This pitcher does resemble Johnson, but that may be wishful thinking. I acquired it via a B.I.N. on ebay that I couldn't pass up

Old 03-01-2012, 03:38 AM

Default Nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruth-gehrig View Post
I've never seen this Sardine baseball box before but thought it was pretty neat.
Nice P/U...nice way to start the month...Seems like I may have seen one before...nevertheless very rare I'd say.

Old 03-01-2012, 04:00 AM

Default Congrats!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkm90 View Post
I'm very happy to have added this figural I've been after for years. It was manufactured in the 20s and 30s and is often found on trophy bases by the Wilson Sporting goods company. It's a heavy bronze piece that is 12 1/2" tall and weighs over 5 lbs. I've always appreciated these figurals for their size combined with fine detail and overall execution by the artist. Many call it the "Walter Johnson trophy". This pitcher does resemble Johnson, but that may be wishful thinking. I acquired it via a B.I.N. on ebay that I couldn't pass up

Wow Mike...nice going....that's a major figural...produced by the A.C. Rehberger Company of Chicago...founded in 1912 by Alfred C. Rehberger....I always thought it looked like a young Babe Ruth...Very nice to P/U via BIN...I got mine at a National from Dan Knoll...many moons ago...Congrats, it's one the best BB figurals...Bronze??...doubtful...very well done chestnut bronze colored patina on a thick white metal cast...

Old 03-01-2012, 04:50 AM
Chris Wood

Default 1960's Tokyo Giants Flannel

I don't see 1960's flannels very often, especially not from iconic Japanese teams. Picked up a Tokyo Giants wool gamer made by Tamazawa from an unknown player and year. Great condition with only minor wear and soiling

Old 03-01-2012, 04:51 AM
Mike H.

Thanks for the info Carlton. I assumed it was bronze because I wasn't sure they could produce nice detail in cast metal...you da man
Old 03-01-2012, 04:36 PM
$teve O.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseball tourist View Post
I don't see 1960's flannels very often, especially not from iconic Japanese teams. Picked up a Tokyo Giants wool gamer made by Tamazawa from an unknown player and year. Great condition with only minor wear and soiling

Nice Jersey!!!
Old 03-03-2012, 12:31 AM

Default Christy Mathewson Bucknell University Memorial Stadium ticket

Not prewar, but I just picked up this full ticket to Bucknell University's dedication ceremony to the Christy Mathewson Memorial Stadium in Lewisburg, PA in 1989.

As you can see, the ticket pictures a great photo of Matty in uniform. Neat!

BTW, the gentleman that sold this to me let me know that he has a few more, and the price was definately right ($12 delivered). If you would like one, please send me an e-mail and I can send you his contact info.

Last edited by Scott Garner; 03-03-2012 at 12:32 AM.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruth-gehrig View Post
Very cool box!
Old 03-03-2012, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarltonHendricks View Post
Wow Mike...nice going....that's a major figural...produced by the A.C. Rehberger Company of Chicago...founded in 1912 by Alfred C. Rehberger....I always thought it looked like a young Babe Ruth...Very nice to P/U via BIN...I got mine at a National from Dan Knoll...many moons ago...Congrats, it's one the best BB figurals...Bronze??...doubtful...very well done chestnut bronze colored patina on a thick white metal cast...
Carlton,

The facial features somewhat resemble a youthful Babe, but obviously he would be a left handed thrower. The pitching arm/hand end position of the figural resembles Walter Johnson's follow through as he was a true side armer, FWIW...
Old 03-03-2012, 04:06 PM
Joe Hunter

Default 19th Century Cabinet Photo w/Fingerless & Workmans Gloves

Picked up this nice 19th Century cabinet with two players in uniform, one with a workmans glove, and the other with a fingerless model.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image.jpg (77.4 KB, 715 views)
Old 03-03-2012, 04:14 PM
GaryPassamonte

Very late CdV.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mypa90.jpg (24.8 KB, 708 views)
Old 03-03-2012, 08:05 PM

Default Matty Memorial Stadium Dedication Program

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
Not prewar, but I just picked up this full ticket to Bucknell University's dedication ceremony to the Christy Mathewson Memorial Stadium in Lewisburg, PA in 1989.

As you can see, the ticket pictures a great photo of Matty in uniform. Neat!

BTW, the gentleman that sold this to me let me know that he has a few more, and the price was definately right ($12 delivered). If you would like one, please send me an e-mail and I can send you his contact info.
Many thanks to Chris W. from net54. He saw my earlier post today re: the Matty Memorial Stadium full ticket and offered me a program to the same event. What a great complimentary piece- only on net54!

This is one of the reasons that I love this community so much. You guys are awesome!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Matty Memorial Stadium Dedication Program.jpg (68.3 KB, 674 views)
Old 03-03-2012, 10:41 PM
Mikeknapp

These are a few of my most recent Type 1 photo pick ups. 1950 Paige, 1929 Grove, 1929 Jimmie Foxx, 1930 Phillies, 1934 Cochrane, 1929 Ferrell, 1940 Dean.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1950_Paige.jpg (73.9 KB, 666 views)
File Type: jpg Type I 1929 Lefty Grove.jpg (71.5 KB, 662 views)
File Type: jpg Type_I_1929_Jimmie_Foxx.jpg (71.6 KB, 660 views)
File Type: jpg Type_I_1930_Phillies.jpg (72.2 KB, 660 views)
File Type: jpg Type_I_1937_Mickey_Chocrane.jpg (69.5 KB, 659 views)
File Type: jpg Type_I1929_Rick_Ferrell.jpg (67.1 KB, 660 views)
File Type: jpg Type_I_1940_Dizzy_Dean.jpg (68.7 KB, 660 views)
Old 03-04-2012, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71buc View Post
These are a few of my most recent Type 1 photo pick ups. 1950 Paige, 1929 Grove, 1929 Jimmie Foxx, 1930 Phillies, 1934 Cochrane, 1929 Ferrell, 1940 Dean.
Wow Mike, great photos all! Several of them stare right into your soul.
Just awesome!
Old 03-04-2012, 03:57 AM
Mikeknapp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
Wow Mike, great photos all! Several of them stare right into your soul.
Just awesome!
Thanks Scott I can't seem to get enough of them. I collect many baseball related items but always find myself drawn back to photos for exactly that reason.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Nice Foxx photo of him in catcher's gear.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:42 PM
Mich@el K. Tr0tnic

Default Diamond Brand Ad on Scorecard

I love the action on this new old stock scorecard that's never been folded or written in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg $(KGrHqF,!nME8VV4)pBjBPQZJrmj)Q~~60_57[1].jpg (78.0 KB, 546 views)
File Type: jpg $(KGrHqR,!pgE8WVcVmBFBPQZJq2+Cw~~60_57[1].jpg (74.3 KB, 546 views)
Old 03-05-2012, 11:55 PM

Default Hunt Tobacco P/U's

Photobucket
New additions -Two Home Run Cigarette packs on left

Photobucket
Rah Rah Tobacco pouch

Received these today out of the Hunt Internet auction last month...Two different lots...the two Home Run Cigarette packs on the left in top photo...and the Rah Rah Tobacco pouch. Hunt auctioned a 30 year tobacco collection put together by Thomas Caruso....It was the best all at once offering of tobacco pieces I can recall..The cards and card related pieces seemed to be the hotest items..I sure would like to know the who what where of how he got my two pieces...where they came from etc.

http://www.sportsantiques.com/homeruncigspost.htm
I did a story back in May 2009 on the poster that advertised Home Run Cigarettes, link above..in it I examine the packs in relation to the poster. By writing the story I learned the early pack are very rare...Jon Canfield of http://www.baseballandtobacco.com/ informed me he'd only seen one early pack for sale...So when I spotted the two in one lot I zeroed in...

I don't bid in a lot of brick and mortars...that buyers premium is murder...phew..finally whoever was bidding it up folded and I got um...When I received them today I was very satisfied with their condition and how they look in my display case...

I had the one on the right already so the three make for a nice display I think..The center one is the oldest I'm sure....it even has two original cigarettes inside that say Home Run on them...and the other pack though latter is very rare as well...I guess I got a good deal, especially considering I got two packs...And the Rah Rah pouch is no slouch...I think it's only the second I've seen..

Many years back bought a January 8, 1891 The Daily Picayune newspaper from New Orleans that had an advertisement for Home Run Cigs...So I know the brand is at least that old...and the center pack looks like it could be that old...Below some in lineup shots

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Last edited by CarltonHendricks; 03-05-2012 at 11:59 PM.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:48 AM
Vincent Hecksel

Default Clyde Hatter (d.1937) & Gordon McNaughton (d.1942)

Every once in a while, luck and effort intersect, and the payoff is rewarding.

I purchased a 1936 Milwaukee minor league team signed baseball on eBay recently. I bought it primarily because it was signed by former Detroit Tigers Clyde Hatter (d.1937), but got a nice bonus with the presence of a faded Gordon McNaughton (d.1942) signature too.

I do not (generally) purchase team signed baseballs. Frankly, I rarely find a ball signed boldly enough to please me. The first few vintage team signed balls that I did purchase left me extremely disappointed. What appearred as vivid or clear signatures in the listing, was not nearly so when actually held in hand. Positive enhancement brought on by strong lighting, I guess. But every once in a while, my interest gets peaked, and I stray over to the dark side in pursuit of a possible bargain.

This is one of those "bargains." It occurred because of the wealth of information available on the internet, and the willingness to invest some time researching. This baseball was vauguely listed as "Vintage Autograph Baseball" and the description stated that some of the signatures were from ballplayers who played in the 30s and 40s for the Detroit Tigers and Chicago White Sox. Using five of the stronger signatures present (Luke Hamlin, Rudy York, Tot Pressnell, Frenchy Udalt, & Eddie Hope), I cross referenced their minor league careers and was able to place all five individuals with Milwaukee in 1936. A comparison of the 1936 Milwaukee roster with the remaining signatures on the ball revealed the presence of Hatter and McNaughton autographs. I still am trying to decipher three of the extremely faint signatures to determine who they may be. Regardless of whether I succeed or not, it's still a pretty cool score.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 36Mil01 Hatter detail.JPG (37.4 KB, 422 views)
File Type: jpg 36Mil08 McNaughton detail.JPG (53.3 KB, 422 views)
Old 03-07-2012, 09:20 AM
Jon Canfield

Carlton-

Curious who the manufacturer on the side of your older Home Run packs are? That might help narrow down the date. Is there any "successor to" language?

Last edited by canjond; 03-07-2012 at 09:20 AM.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:57 AM
BJ Cunningham

Default Gordon McNaughton

Vincent, cool pick-up. I was just doing some reading on Bernard Malamud. Funny how life intersects sometimes.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:31 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Been a little slow lately.
My newest.
A nice Gehrig from 1938 WS.

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 03-11-2012, 10:56 PM

Default will do

Quote:
Originally Posted by canjond View Post
Carlton-

Curious who the manufacturer on the side of your older Home Run packs are? That might help narrow down the date. Is there any "successor to" language?
Jon, Excellent question....I'll check it out when get time...was so excited to get displayed completely forgot to look them over LOL

Old 03-11-2012, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordstan View Post
My newest.

Lou was just a bit slow, too!

Last edited by David Atkatz; 03-11-2012 at 10:59 PM.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:21 PM
David Linardy

Default munson

Promised this one to a friend, but figured I would post it while I have it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg munson_1.jpg (70.2 KB, 453 views)
File Type: jpg Munson_2.jpg (38.9 KB, 450 views)
Old 03-12-2012, 06:21 PM
Al

Default lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Atkatz View Post
Lou was just a bit slow, too!
David<
Give poor Lou (My Hero) a little credit photo is 1938 was trying to stretch a single into a double and was out only by 6 inches!! Now if it was Babe he would have been out by ten feet! Thats why he always hit a homerun to avoid photos like this!

Trying is the first step towards failing, and failing is the first step towards success!

Life's lessons cost money Some lessons cost a lot..
Old 03-12-2012, 06:22 PM
Al

Default munson

Quote:
Originally Posted by daves_resale_shop View Post
Promised this one to a friend, but figured I would post it while I have it!
Dave I thought I was your friend!!

Trying is the first step towards failing, and failing is the first step towards success!

Life's lessons cost money Some lessons cost a lot..
Old 03-13-2012, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordstan View Post
My newest.
Boy, that's a great image, Mark. I just love the body language and contorted face of the Cubbie mid-fielder as he smacks Gehrig right in the back of his noggin! That had to hurt, even the Iron Man.

Best, Jimmy
Old 03-13-2012, 10:35 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Thanks guys for the kind words.
David/Jimmy,
You also have take note that this is from 1938, so you have to figure his illness was staring to manifest. Perhaps a younger/healthier version of Lou would've made it standing!

He is my hero as well. Seems a very worthy subject for such affection and adoration.

Best,
Mark

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 03-15-2012, 04:37 PM
Mikeknapp

I picked up my first two Campy photos this week. The image with Lasie is a promotional photo for a 1959 episode of the TV series.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Type_I_1959_Campanella.jpg (71.5 KB, 590 views)
File Type: jpg Type_I_1952_Campanella.jpg (74.0 KB, 597 views)
Old 03-15-2012, 05:00 PM
$teve O.

Quote:
I picked up my first two Campy photos this week. The image with Lasie is a promotional photo for a 1959 episode of the TV series.
Mike they are some nice Campy pictures!!
Old 03-15-2012, 08:34 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

I just picked up a couple Great TYPE 1 photos to go with my ticket stubs.

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection
Old 03-16-2012, 07:21 PM
Mike H.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkm90 View Post

Beautiful except for the outcome of the series....
Old 03-18-2012, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Young View Post
I just picked up a couple Great TYPE 1 photos to go with my ticket stubs.

Terrific pick-ups Ben. I'm happy you left one for me! Here it is. This 1960 World Series - Maz Hits His Historic Bottom of the 9th Walk-Off Home Run to Bring the World Series Title to the Iron City.

Over the last dozen years, I've seen scores of TYPE 3 photos of Maz making his way round the bases, but I just can't remember any TYPE 1's that came up for sale (and I've looked and looked!!). So I was especially pleased to add this one to my collection...

MazHR.jpg
Old 03-18-2012, 09:22 AM
Hank Thomas

Jimmy,
That group of photos had me puzzled because of the photocopied tags and the fact that some pictured events from the 30s and 40s and were therefore either Type II or IV. They all had the same 1954-1960 A.P. stamping and photocopied tags, the same toning and condition, and looking very much to me as though they had all been made at the same time. So I thought maybe this was a group of "greatest moments" photos done in 1960 to accompany the Maz photo for an essay or pictorial about great moments in sports history. If that's true, your Maz would be the only Type I in the bunch. Just wondering.
Old 03-18-2012, 05:38 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekingofclout View Post
Terrific pick-ups Ben. I'm happy you left one for me! Here it is. This 1960 World Series - Maz Hits His Historic Bottom of the 9th Walk-Off Home Run to Bring the World Series Title to the Iron City.

Over the last dozen years, I've seen scores of TYPE 3 photos of Maz making his way round the bases, but I just can't remember any TYPE 1's that came up for sale (and I've looked and looked!!). So I was especially pleased to add this one to my collection...

Attachment 59465
Very nice photo jimmy... No idea how I missed this photo but I never saw it. You would have outbid me anyway if you were going strong(as if there was any doubt). Unfortunately, I do not own that monster ticket. Very nice man.

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection
Old 03-21-2012, 06:20 AM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Default 1936 Pirates Autographed Photo

Love the photo. Love the autographs. Blanton and Welch are far tougher than Paul Waner. Although I'm happy with the Waners for sure!

Tom C
Old 03-21-2012, 06:57 AM
Mikeknapp

Tom that's an impressive photo!

Last edited by 71buc; 03-21-2012 at 06:33 PM.
Old 03-25-2012, 02:37 PM

I just picked up a team signed ball from my hometown, the 1949 Flint Arrows. Great price and I seem to rarely find anything from Flint so I couldn't pass it up. Ball includes a couple future big leagues, Clem Koshorek & Frank House.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flint ARROWS BALL #1.JPG (25.4 KB, 405 views)
File Type: jpg fLINT arrows BALL #2.JPG (23.4 KB, 405 views)
File Type: jpg Flint ARROWS ball #3.JPG (24.8 KB, 405 views)
File Type: jpg Flint ARROWS ball #4.JPG (25.4 KB, 404 views)
File Type: jpg Flint ARROWS ball #5.JPG (24.2 KB, 404 views)

Always on the lookout for Jim Abbott, vintage Olympic/Team USA baseball and Detroit Tigers.
Old 03-25-2012, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekingofclout View Post
Boy, that's a great image, Mark. I just love the body language and contorted face of the Cubbie mid-fielder as he smacks Gehrig right in the back of his noggin! That had to hurt, even the Iron Man.

Best, Jimmy
Talk about the umpire being on top of the play. No chance of missing that one.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:39 AM
Mi_ch.ael Bo,rk_in

This painting is not for everybody (maybe very few), but I like it. I was the only bidder in the Paragon auctions of this painting by Steve Sax so I got it for $200. It's Tommie Agee. Steve Sax's paintings tend to be multidimensional as you can see in the 2nd picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 00157801.jpg (32.2 KB, 346 views)
File Type: jpg 00157802.jpg (16.2 KB, 343 views)

Last edited by sports-rings; 03-26-2012 at 06:39 AM.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:42 AM
Mi_ch.ael Bo,rk_in

A local guy restores and sells stadium chairs. Had him restore these seats from Ebbets Field. The chairs are more blue, but the flash darkened the color.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 00157701.jpg (30.2 KB, 344 views)
Old 03-26-2012, 02:26 PM
$teve O.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sports-rings View Post
This painting is not for everybody (maybe very few), but I like it. I was the only bidder in the Paragon auctions of this painting by Steve Sax so I got it for $200. It's Tommie Agee. Steve Sax's paintings tend to be multidimensional as you can see in the 2nd picture.
Very cool painting!!
Old 03-28-2012, 09:19 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by btcarfagno View Post
Love the photo. Love the autographs. Blanton and Welch are far tougher than Paul Waner. Although I'm happy with the Waners for sure!

Tom C
Great photo, Tom - the Waners were certainly very photogenic.

My Legendary hoard arrived yesterday. The gems were the 1870's Meteors albumen photo and a letter from Walter Johnson to a young fan, but it was all good stuff. I've never seen so much so efficiently and safely packed into one box!
Old 03-31-2012, 12:02 PM
Joe Hunter

Default 1905 Oklahoma City Mets

Picked up this photo of the 1905 Oklahoma City Mets minor league team. Only one of these players made it to the Majors-John Halla-and that was for only a game or two with the Cleveland Naps that same year. The player identified as "Brown" is not listed on their roster, so that may be a misidentification. I really like the clarity of this piece.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image (15).jpg (73.1 KB, 175 views)
Old 04-01-2012, 08:35 PM

Default Cool ticket!

I just picked up this neat figural die-cut baseball ticket originating from a Satchel Paige win in 1956 at age 50. Here is some background info on the game:

This is a ticket stub from the 8/7/56 baseball game between the Miami Marlins and the Columbus Jets. It was hyped as "The Baseball Party to End All Baseball Parties." On August 7, 1956 the Orange Bowl playing field was transformed into a baseball diamond and America's national pastime made its debut in the giant football stadium. A crowd of 51,713 watched the Miami Marlins beat the Columbus Jets 6-2 in a charity game that featured the pitching and hitting heroics of Satchel Paige. The game drew the largest crowd to watch a minor league baseball game at the time. Long before the Florida Marlins existed, the Miami Marlins were South Florida's baseball team. The Marlins were a triple-A affiliate of the Philadelphia Phillies in the International League and played their home games at Miami Stadium. But on one magical night, the Orange Bowl was their home field.

Team owner Bill Veeck was a longtime baseball maverick. He was often referred to as the P.T. Barnum of baseball. Veeck would resort to anything to bring fans to the ballpark. When he owned the St. Louis Browns, he once signed a 3-foot-7 inch dwarf named Eddie Gaedel in 1951, who walked on four pitches in his only Major League at bat. Many years later when he owned the Chicago White Sox, he designed an exploding scoreboard at Comiskey Park, had his players wear strange uniforms that included shorts and was infamously remembered for organizing the 1979 "Disco Demolition Night" leading to the destruction of disco records and leaving the playing field in shambles. But Veeck's greatest legacy in South Florida was bringing the legendary pitcher Leroy "Satchel" Paige to the Marlins.

Satchel Paige is one of baseball's most iconic and colorful players. His peak years were pitching for the Kansas City Monarchs in the negro leagues from the late 1920s through the 1930s. Many baseball historians considered him to be one of the most dominant pitchers of his time. He often played against Major League players during offseason barnstorming tours and beat them repeatedly. Former Cardinals hall of fame pitcher Dizzy Dean once called Paige the best pitcher he ever saw. But by the time Jackie Robinson broke baseball's color barrier in 1947, Paige was 41-years-old and well past his prime. In 1948, then-Indians owner Bill Veeck signed Paige to his first major league contract. Paige and Indians teammate Larry Doby were the first African-Americans to play in the American League. Together they helped the Indians win the 1948 World Series. Paige pitched in the major leagues through 1953 at the age of 47.

By 1954, the St. Louis Browns released Paige. It appeared his profesional baseball career was over. He was 48 years old and still had the desire to keep playing. He bounced around in the minor leagues until his former boss Bill Veeck decided to sign him to a $15,000 contract and a percentage of the gate with the Miami Marlins in 1956. Many thought it was another one of Veeck's crazy gimmicks to bring in the 50-year-old Paige. But on the contrary. Despite his old age, Paige could still get minor league hitters out. In his first game as a Marlin, he pitched a complete-game 4-hit shutout.

But the highlight of Paige's tenure in Miami came in an exhibition game at the Orange Bowl. The stadium was clearly not meant to host baseball. Changing the field into a baseball park was like fitting a square peg through a round hole. The field dimensions were horribly skewed. Home plate was located in the southeast corner of the field and the right field wall less than 300 feet away. To compensate for the short right field, a giant fence was constructed. But none of that mattered to the fans who were hungry to see baseball. It was a festive night at the stadium. Proceeds went to charity and the pregame entertainment included a concert by jazz and blues legend Cab Calloway. Imagine 50,000 people singing "Heidi Heidi Heidi Ho!" in unison. But the real show was put on by Satchel Paige. Paige pitched into the eighth inning and also drove in 3-runs with a double to left-center field, giving the Marlins a 6-2 win. A week later, he pitched a one-hitter against Rochester and left to a standing ovation. During his three years with the Marlins, Paige was 31-22 with a 2.73 ERA, very good numbers for any pitcher regardless of age.

Satchel Paige eventually made one more appearance in the major leagues with the Kansas City Athletics on September 25, 1965, when he was signed by another maverick owner Charlie Finley. He was 59 years old. Paige's career major league record was just 28-31. He never got the opportunity to play in the major leagues as a young man. But he was never bitter. He was known for his sense of humor and was loved by teammates and fans. He was also known for his many colorful quotes. His most famous was "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you." That's exactly how Paige lived his baseball career. He was the first player from the negro leagues to be inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Satchel Paige 1956 Miami Marlins win ticket.jpg (36.4 KB, 123 views)

Last edited by Scott Garner; 04-05-2012 at 06:47 PM.