NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Boxing / Wrestling Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Old 09-20-2018, 08:16 PM
Michael
Michae! Sh@cter

Default 1910 T218 Boxing card question

Okay, guys, I don't know much about boxing card at all, but I have a large group of mostly T218 boxing cards like the ones pictured and a few T220.

The first question, on the back, just above Mecca around half have listed series #2 51 to 100, the others do not. Are these different printings? Is one more valuable than the other?

Next, I can see some of these on eBay to get an idea, but only for the same condition cards. I have a Beckett account for the vintage cards, but they all list N/A even for these older cards that seem to have plenty of sales looking at the past year. Is there somewhere else you recommend to get an idea of value for these?

And last, since I don't know a lot about boxing, besides Jack Johnson, who else is in these two sets that I should be looking out for?

Again, thanks in advance for your help and guidance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180920_0001.jpg (77.7 KB, 166 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180920_0002.jpg (77.2 KB, 164 views)
Old 09-21-2018, 01:05 PM

Ask a simple question, get a not so simple answer...

Hope this older thread helps:

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=111405
Old 09-21-2018, 01:19 PM

Thumbs up I would also suggest....

A member of this board, Adam (Exhibitman), has an excellent book "Ameria's Great Boxing Cards" I highly recommend it. http://www.americasgreatboxingcards.com
Old 09-21-2018, 01:31 PM
Michael
Michae! Sh@cter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthoemke View Post
Ask a simple question, get a not so simple answer...

Hope this older thread helps:

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=111405
Thank you for your help and for pulling this up. Though I think I am still a little confused. LOL
Old 09-21-2018, 01:32 PM
Michael
Michae! Sh@cter

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbc View Post
A member of this board, Adam (Exhibitman), has an excellent book "Ameria's Great Boxing Cards" I highly recommend it. http://www.americasgreatboxingcards.com
Thank you, this will help a little as well!
Old 09-21-2018, 03:02 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

eBay sold listings, or using PSA's Auction Prices Realized:
https://www.psacard.com/auctionprices/#0%7Ct218%20prize

Abe Attell is well known for his role in the 1919 Black Sox scandal.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 09-21-2018, 05:55 PM
Michael
Michae! Sh@cter

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
eBay sold listings, or using PSA's Auction Prices Realized:
https://www.psacard.com/auctionprices/#0%7Ct218%20prize

Abe Attell is well known for his role in the 1919 Black Sox scandal.
Ah, thank you, this will also be helpful!
Old 09-21-2018, 07:19 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

The cards were issued in 3 series.

The 1 series is a mid 1910 issue, without the series 2 notation. The series title is "Champion Athletes and Prize Fighters". Cards exist with Mecca and Hassan backs, from factories 30 and 649.

Series 2 came out in late 1910, and bears the series 2 notation. In addition to the series 2 Mecca and Hassan backs, the cards were also printed with a Hassan, factory 30 back with no series notation, and Tolstoi (very rare). All second series cards having the Hassan 30 back from series 1 as well as the series 2 backs trips up a lot of collectors in check listing.

Series 3 exists only with Mecca backs, from 2 factories again, and was issued in 1911. The series caption begins "series of..." this time, and most of the card fronts now have a thin black frame around the image.

There are 153 cards in the basic set. They are one of the more common T card issues. Johnson is the key. Jeffries, Attell, Gans, Jeanette and Langford also carry consistent premiums. Aviators, Golfers and Billiards players are more popular than the boxers and track cards. Most won't sell for more than a few bucks in VG.

The T220 set has 50 boxers, and is a late 1910-early 1911 issue. James J. Corbett, Jack Dempsey, Joe Gans, Peter Jackson, John L. Sullivan (the key) carry consistent premiums. Mecca cards have 30 and 649 backs again. Tolstoi backs are scarce, but not as tough as T218 Tolstoi's. Silver border cards carry a 2-3x premium, and feature 25 of the fronts, all with Mecca 649 backs.
Old 09-21-2018, 09:04 PM
Michael
Michae! Sh@cter

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
The cards were issued in 3 series.

The 1 series is a mid 1910 issue, without the series 2 notation. The series title is "Champion Athletes and Prize Fighters". Cards exist with Mecca and Hassan backs, from factories 30 and 649.

Series 2 came out in late 1910, and bears the series 2 notation. In addition to the series 2 Mecca and Hassan backs, the cards were also printed with a Hassan, factory 30 back with no series notation, and Tolstoi (very rare). All second series cards having the Hassan 30 back from series 1 as well as the series 2 backs trips up a lot of collectors in check listing.

Series 3 exists only with Mecca backs, from 2 factories again, and was issued in 1911. The series caption begins "series of..." this time, and most of the card fronts now have a thin black frame around the image.

There are 153 cards in the basic set. They are one of the more common T card issues. Johnson is the key. Jeffries, Attell, Gans, Jeanette and Langford also carry consistent premiums. Aviators, Golfers and Billiards players are more popular than the boxers and track cards. Most won't sell for more than a few bucks in VG.

The T220 set has 50 boxers, and is a late 1910-early 1911 issue. James J. Corbett, Jack Dempsey, Joe Gans, Peter Jackson, John L. Sullivan (the key) carry consistent premiums. Mecca cards have 30 and 649 backs again. Tolstoi backs are scarce, but not as tough as T218 Tolstoi's. Silver border cards carry a 2-3x premium, and feature 25 of the fronts, all with Mecca 649 backs.
Wow! Just wow! Thank you, that is mostly what I was looking for, I really appreciate it.
Old 09-23-2018, 12:56 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Good info. Johnson side view is available with multiple backs, one of the few that is.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 09-23-2018, 08:08 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Good info. Johnson side view is available with multiple backs, one of the few that is.
Should have included above. Johnson side view was is used in series 1 with only 3 of the 4 back types. It appears to have replaced HJ Handy, who was not issued with Hassan backs, though I can find no reason as to why he would be pulled. Johnson (side view) was then again issued with series 2, although it is not found with a Tolstoi back for some reason. Handy is a significant short print, though it seems to have no affect on his value

This Johnson card’s anomalous printing pattern (and that all series 2 cards were printed with a series 1 Hassan 30 back) threw me off for years when trying to checklist the Master Set so I knew what exactly I was looking for. Even accounting for its late addition in series 1 and subsequent series 2 printing, it should exist with backs that it clearly does not, though it sure explains why the card is so commonly found. The image was reversed to face the other direction on series 2 printed cards.

There are 638 or 639 cards depending on whether the Cloughen error exists with a Mecca 30 reverse. The only other card I have not seen is the Gillis error with a factory 30 back, but another poster has said they own, so it appears there is at least 1 of it. A master boxing-only set is 285 cards, which I feel confident is the final number. I suppose a Johnson (side view) Tolstoi could surface, but I think that would be surprising.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:05 PM
Michael
Michae! Sh@cter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Thanks for adding on, as well as jogging G1911's memory!
Old 09-24-2018, 10:07 PM
Michael
Michae! Sh@cter

Quote:
Should have included above. Johnson side view was is used in series 1 with only 3 of the 4 back types. It appears to have replaced HJ Handy, who was not issued with Hassan backs, though I can find no reason as to why he would be pulled. Johnson (side view) was then again issued with series 2, although it is not found with a Tolstoi back for some reason. Handy is a significant short print, though it seems to have no affect on his value

This Johnson card’s anomalous printing pattern (and that all series 2 cards were printed with a series 1 Hassan 30 back) threw me off for years when trying to checklist the Master Set so I knew what exactly I was looking for. Even accounting for its late addition in series 1 and subsequent series 2 printing, it should exist with backs that it clearly does not, though it sure explains why the card is so commonly found. The image was reversed to face the other direction on series 2 printed cards.

There are 638 or 639 cards depending on whether the Cloughen error exists with a Mecca 30 reverse. The only other card I have not seen is the Gillis error with a factory 30 back, but another poster has said they own, so it appears there is at least 1 of it. A master boxing-only set is 285 cards, which I feel confident is the final number. I suppose a Johnson (side view) Tolstoi could surface, but I think that would be surprising.
Thanks, again for the additional information. I think what you have given me, and the others I have plenty to think about and research what I need. And I am sure if not, that I can ask you guys for help!
Old 09-25-2018, 08:57 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscomicfantasy View Post
Thanks, again for the additional information. I think what you have given me, and the others I have plenty to think about and research what I need. And I am sure if not, that I can ask you guys for help!
Glad it helps!
Old 10-04-2018, 10:55 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
A master boxing-only set is 285 cards, which I feel confident is the final number. I suppose a Johnson (side view) Tolstoi could surface, but I think that would be surprising.
That is way too many for me to chase after.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...