NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 05-11-2019, 07:23 PM
Tim Odeen

Default Ugly Nick Senzel Auto

I think Nick Senzel has one ugly signature. But among his ugly sigs, this one has to be one of the worst. The cursive S looks nothing like his "better" signatures.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nick-Senzel...d89ef454e1c725
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 05-11-2019, 07:45 PM
Peter Spaeth

Surely this man knows how to spell his own name and could write it out.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 05-12-2019, 11:07 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Good flow though

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 05-12-2019, 05:40 PM
M.ichael Yaz.back

This has bothered for me for some time now. Not just this guy, but modern players today in all sports. SIGN YOUR FRIGGIN' NAME!! I get that today's players are crushed with autograph requests. I don't know if players feel rushed or just don't care or both. I'm not saying you need an "A+" in penmanship, but I should be able to make out who the player is. All these signatures with a single letter and a couple slashes...ugh. Take some pride in your name. The fact that these guys can't take 5-7 seconds to sign a legible signature borders on stupid.
Old 05-12-2019, 06:01 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageVinnie View Post
This has bothered for me for some time now. Not just this guy, but modern players today in all sports. SIGN YOUR FRIGGIN' NAME!! I get that today's players are crushed with autograph requests. I don't know if players feel rushed or just don't care or both. I'm not saying you need an "A+" in penmanship, but I should be able to make out who the player is. All these signatures with a single letter and a couple slashes...ugh. Take some pride in your name. The fact that these guys can't take 5-7 seconds to sign a legible signature borders on stupid.

Keep in mind that many schools no longer even teach cursive writing; everything is done on a computer. On the off-chance that something is written on paper, it's printed.

Basically, we have failed our children over the last couple of generations, by not teaching them how to write.

Spelling and grammar are other areas where we've failed the current generation or two. Just look on Facebook, twitter, and other social media. Heck, even the big news agencies like CNN and Fox News are littered with obvious spelling and grammatical errors. Too many words are simply shortened, abbreviated, or turned into an acronym. Basic spelling and grammar have been discarded.

Steve

Current Wantlist:
1909 Obak Howard (Los Angeles) (no frame on back)
1910 E90-2 Gibson, Hyatt, Maddox
Old 05-12-2019, 06:38 PM
M.ichael Yaz.back

That is a VERY good point. Young adults today don't even use cursive...like you said because schools have stopped teaching it. Still, you should be able to at least sign a legible signature. Heck, my old boss (young adult) signed our checks with an "S" and 2 loops...so annoying.
Old 05-12-2019, 07:05 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve D View Post
Too many words are simply shortened, abbreviated, or turned into an acronym. Basic spelling and grammar have been discarded.

Steve

I don't disagree with much of your analysis. I think not teaching cursive is a major problem, not just for signature use, but also because I believe it increases writing technique quality. But as for shortening words, this is an idea that is well over 100 years old. There used to be classes you could take to learn shorthand, abbreviations, acronyms, etc. My grandma (now in her 90s) somehow learned that, and when she sends me letters, I must not only decipher her cursive handwriting but I must also figure out what her shorthand means. Her shorthand goes way beyond the still widely used signs such as: w/, w/o, b/c.
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 05-12-2019, 07:25 PM
Steve Birmingham

My daughter was interested in cursive, so I showed her the basics of the letters. I'm not sure if school is teaching it, but she knows it now.

And she picked up a few other details too.

She was getting a birthday card ready for one of her classmates parties. I asked if she wrote her name in it too, and she said "I didn't write my name, I signed it"
Old 05-13-2019, 08:51 AM

If you want to collect art, buy art. A signature is nothing more than your mark. It's easily identifiable if you know what mark to look for regardless of what the letters are.
Old 05-18-2019, 09:22 PM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

I can't help but wonder if players sign legal papers (contracts, &c.) the same way they sign autographs...
Old 05-19-2019, 07:53 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
I can't help but wonder if players sign legal papers (contracts, &c.) the same way they sign autographs...
I can't say about any players, but I know I don't sign documents the same way I sign general day to day type stuff.

And what I think of as my "formal signature" probably wouldn't pass anyone here, since I go a lot slower than if I'm scrawling my name to receive a package.
Old 05-31-2019, 02:08 PM
Rolf Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageVinnie View Post

Thats the thing though, I’m not even sure some players are literate. Wander Franco’s auto looks like he doesn’t know the difference between a C and an L.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-03-2019, 08:51 AM

I sign checks at work, hundreds of them all the time in one sitting. I only sign my first name and it still takes forever. If I had to sign thousands of cards in one sitting I'd want to write as little s possible too.
Old 06-03-2019, 12:30 PM
Tyler Smith
Tyler Sm.ith

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I sign checks at work, hundreds of them all the time in one sitting. I only sign my first name and it still takes forever. If I had to sign thousands of cards in one sitting I'd want to write as little s possible too.
Exactly! I feel bad for the players in this regard. My understanding is that they typically have to sign in front of a rep of the card company and may have to sign 1,5, or 10K cards in just a day or two. If it were me I would prefer to sign ~100-200 cards a night and take my time but if I were rushed it would probably be first initial, line, second initial line. PreWar players usually have beautiful signatures but they weren't bombarded with autograph requests like today's players are so they could take their time when signing.
Old 06-03-2019, 06:43 PM
M.ichael Yaz.back

Don't feel bad for the players. If they have to sign 10,000 cards for some major company, it's because they agreed to do so...and for good money. Signing checks for your employees or signing for the UPS guy..sure..scrawl your name, nobody cares...BUT when you are signing an autograph for a fan, somebody who admires you..then yes, you need to take pride in your signature. A slash and a scribble tells me, the fan, you don't give a sh*t. As far as signing multitudes of cards for some company, how about this.. accept less money, agree on a reasonable number of cards and sign a respectable signature. But for this generation of entitlement and gimme, gimme, gimme for players in all sports/ multibazillion dollar contracts...I doubt taking less money for anything is in their vocabulary.
Old 06-04-2019, 07:04 AM

How much do you think players get paid to sign autographed cards? I have to think the per card payment is probably pretty low considering that volume is so high.

Last edited by packs; 06-04-2019 at 07:07 AM.
Old 06-05-2019, 08:15 AM
M.ichael Yaz.back

Truthfully, I have no idea. I would think it would have to be pretty good for them to take the time and effort to even do it.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:25 AM

I guess it could go either way. Someone coming out of the draft might be happy just to have a baseball card at all. I can't imagine anyone gets rich off signing inserts alone though.