NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 01-23-2015, 06:10 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgellis View Post
Here's the difference with Rodgers and Brady. Rodgers has admitted that he likes over-inflated balls, but when they are brought to the officials and they take some air out of them, he doesn't have someone go back to the balls before kickoff and re-inflate them.

What's being thrown at the Deflatriots is that the balls were checked and were deemed legal, then between that check and half-time, someone deflated 11 out of 12 balls.

And to put possible blame on the instruments being used is a joke. If those "bad" instruments were used to measure the Colts balls too, how come those didn't show under-inflation? How do 11 out of 12 balls basically measure exactly the same? Coincidence? No.
No, it's hardly a joke. It would be if proper equipment and process was used, but we don't know that. Considering the information in this article I'd have to wonder if ANY equipment or process was used before the game.

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/sup...tballs-n290801

From the above
"I recall them having a pressure gauge in the locker room, but most often they just squeezed the balls, turned them over in their hands a few times each, and inspected the laces. I don't recall them ever rejecting one of our balls," he said.

Yeah, handling the game balls and squeezing them. There's no way anyone gets that right within +- .5 psi.

Then go back to HS science class. Remember the gas laws? You know, the ones that relate temperature to pressure?

http://www.wcsh6.com/story/weather/2...roll/22065861/

"83,244.6 Pa is 11.8 psi, so, according to these calculations, the balls could have been under-inflated by 0.7 psi on the field, just due to the change in temperature from inside to outside."

There's most of the supposed 2 psi difference.

2% error on a decent 0-25psi guage is ---- .5 psi. And on the low end of the range the error is almost always to read low.

Total change+total error = 1.2 psi.

If the guage wasn't 0-25, but 0-100 the error on the end of the range is 3% making the difference more like 1.5 psi.

The claim is 2 psi under. Media rounding? or an actual measurement. And if the gauges the refs used were 0-100 then the markings aren't usually every psi, but every 5. Seeing the difference between 11 and 10.5 isn't easy especially if you're in a hurry - like if all you've got is halftime and you still have your normal work as well.

If they use better stuff? Yeah, there's a problem with 2 psi, and the .7 from the temperature difference should have been added. But we're not hearing about what accuracy they have available. Just the hand wringing over an accusation.

Steve B
Old 01-23-2015, 06:34 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
No, it's hardly a joke. It would be if proper equipment and process was used, but we don't know that. Considering the information in this article I'd have to wonder if ANY equipment or process was used before the game.

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/sup...tballs-n290801

From the above
"I recall them having a pressure gauge in the locker room, but most often they just squeezed the balls, turned them over in their hands a few times each, and inspected the laces. I don't recall them ever rejecting one of our balls," he said.

Yeah, handling the game balls and squeezing them. There's no way anyone gets that right within +- .5 psi.

Then go back to HS science class. Remember the gas laws? You know, the ones that relate temperature to pressure?

http://www.wcsh6.com/story/weather/2...roll/22065861/

"83,244.6 Pa is 11.8 psi, so, according to these calculations, the balls could have been under-inflated by 0.7 psi on the field, just due to the change in temperature from inside to outside."

There's most of the supposed 2 psi difference.

2% error on a decent 0-25psi guage is ---- .5 psi. And on the low end of the range the error is almost always to read low.

Total change+total error = 1.2 psi.

If the guage wasn't 0-25, but 0-100 the error on the end of the range is 3% making the difference more like 1.5 psi.

The claim is 2 psi under. Media rounding? or an actual measurement. And if the gauges the refs used were 0-100 then the markings aren't usually every psi, but every 5. Seeing the difference between 11 and 10.5 isn't easy especially if you're in a hurry - like if all you've got is halftime and you still have your normal work as well.

If they use better stuff? Yeah, there's a problem with 2 psi, and the .7 from the temperature difference should have been added. But we're not hearing about what accuracy they have available. Just the hand wringing over an accusation.

Steve B
Steve, no offense but I suspect most of your guesses about the gauges used (and whether or not the balls were instead squeezed) is wrong.

Since this is a discussion forum, I'm going to guess that the gauges were accurate and that they were used by the referees. I'm sure that will come out after the Superbowl, but that's my 'guess' for now. This would not be a big deal if it was easily explained away, and according to every other former quarterback who has been questioned, this actually IS a big deal and a violation of the rules that quarterbacks do NOT normally perform.

Roughing up balls is legal, deflating them after they have been approved by the refs, is not legal. Yes, everyone roughs up balls. No, everyone does not deflate them. Perhaps more teams deflate them than just the Patriots, but we haven't yet heard from anyone who knows that to be true.

The ball are created to NOT deflate during games, regardless of weather and temperature conditions. If you were flying them on airplanes, you might have issues, but they are checked just before the game.

Perhaps we will find one of the following occurred, but I'm guessing it will be the last point:
  • the Patriots used 11 balls that were flawed and lost air, despite the fact that they were designed not to.
  • the referees did not use a guage, but just 'squeezed' the balls
  • the referees used a guage that had a margin of error that made any measurements a joke
  • the equipment manager knew that Brady liked his balls a bit below 12.5, and so let some air out, hoping no one would notice.
Old 01-23-2015, 07:19 PM
P.hil €lli$

The Deflatriot apologists need to do a little reading or listen to the radio for a bit before coming up with some idiotic excuses.
Start with this:
http://mmqb.si.com/2015/01/23/deflat...per-bowl-xlix/

Read the official NFL statement released this afternoon.

Basically the NFL is stating that all the balls were properly tested before the game, then at half-time and then again after the game. The only inconsistency was with the Pats balls from before kickoff to half-time. That meant some person let air out of those 11 (maybe all 12) balls.

The Pats balls didn't deflate at all during the 2nd half, when the temperature drop was more dramatic, so please stop talking about the temperature.

Your coach is a cheater and now your beloved quarterback will be proven not only a liar, but also a cheater.

Shady Brady should be suspended for the Super Bowl, but we all know that won't happen...what a shame.
Old 01-23-2015, 07:59 PM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
Much ado about nothing--just another excuse for the jealous Patriot haters to rally around once again because of 15 straight yrs of success.
It's my birthday and I admit I am at least half in the bag, but you can stick that completely up your ass.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:41 PM
FredYoung

Quote:
How come the Colts balls didn't deflate at all and how come the Pats balls didn't deflate in the second half after they were re-inflated at half time and it got much colder in the 2nd half.

A culture of cheating with the Patriots.
Phil--I already said that they probably were on the edge of 12.5 to start with, so any change at all puts them under the min.

ONE past violation (spygate) does NOT a culture make.

__________________________________________________ _____________

Quote:
Wow, Fred. There's actually quite a bit in the newspapers and on television regarding this - you should take in some of it.
Scott---I would dare say I've watched & read as much, or more, than MOST have these past few days (retired & at home, so my TV is on all day) You are only hearing what MOST of the talking heads say, but not ALL of them. CNN this PM had 3 straight ex-players (Huard included) that believe BOTH Belichick & Brady do not truly know what happened. It's NOT ALL willing to convict before the facts, that's for sure.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Your coach is a cheater and now your beloved quarterback will be proven not only a liar, but also a cheater.
Phil---John Harbaugh thought the same thing until the League said otherwise & proved Belichick is a genius who is smart enough to USE the rules to his advantage and the other Coaches have no clue. Again, 15 straight years of success are just too much for some people & they look for anything to bring down a team that wins too much!

I don't believe Brady lied or cheated.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Much ado about nothing--just another excuse for the jealous Patriot haters to rally around once again because of 15 straight yrs of success.

It's my birthday and I admit I am at least half in the bag, but you can stick that completely up your ass.
Sure glad I didn't write 3 or 4 paragraphs!
Old 01-24-2015, 12:21 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenAge50s View Post
Phil--I already said that they probably were on the edge of 12.5 to start with, so any change at all puts them under the min.
Fred, my guess is that most of the people commenting on this situation, are NOT Patriot haters - I'm NFC, so if this were the 49'ers or Eagles I would be biased, but not so here. I kind of like the Patriots and hope there ends up being an honest explanation for this. I respect Brady as a great quarterback who is well-spoken and has a bit more fire than some. And I wouldn't change my level of respect for him if I found out that he did operate on the edge of the rules. But if it turns out that he is lying about this, then all of that changes. We don't know one way or the other yet, so I'll certainly reserve judgement. The truth will come out - I think it's impossible to hide in this case.

Belichek is now a known cheater, but prior to the spying incident with the Jets I had the utmost respect for him. His story is really amazing - a normal guy like any of the rest of us, who turned his love for football into a job, and became possibly the best ever at it. Patriot-hating is not on most people's minds as much as the Pats fans would like to think. You love yourselves a lot more than others hate you.

But to your point - of course the balls were on the edge of 12.5 psi, and even a .1 drop would have technically made it a rules violation. But a 2 psi drop? C'mon.
Old 01-24-2015, 05:16 AM
P.hil €lli$

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenAge50s View Post

ONE past violation (spygate) does NOT a culture make.
Fred, come on. These balls were "at least" 2 PSI below the minimum. That's almost 20% less than a fully inflated ball.

What do you think happened to them? Why were they below minimum (by at least 2 PSI) at half time? How come, after they were re-inflated at half-time, they didn't lose any pressure during the 2nd half?

Brady said in his press conference that he loves a ball at 12.5 PSI. Don't you think a QB at his level could tell there was a difference in these balls?

I think that they have been deflating balls for years, that certainly explains how their team fumble rate is off the charts compared to all the other 31 NFL teams.

Also, I think one big lie both Belicheat and Shady told was that they didn't learn about the situation until Monday morning. They stopped the game to change balls. Don't you think that was why they were still throwing late in the 4th Quarter when the game was already over. They were pi##ed off that the Colts called them on it.

Read this article about their "culture". I know it's one man's opinion that lost to NE in a Super Bowl and he does mention that he doesn't have any solid evidence because Goodell got rid of all the evidence after SpyGate.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12...ts-controversy

Tainted Super Bowls and tainted careers for both.
Old 01-24-2015, 07:22 AM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

When did we start relying on our honorable, unbiased press to determine guilt. I must have not been paying attention in class. Mistakenly, I believed the country I grew up in, is committed to a trial before ruling on guilt. Until then, the appropriate punishment be dished out.